• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davo453
    • Aug 2018
    • WA

Buying a high mileage 2014 Pajero NW Auto

This is my first post so Hi !

I posted this on the UK Pajero Owners site and they directed me here.

I am looking at buying a 2014 Pajero NW Auto a nice looking motor and at what i think is a very good price.

The price is good for these reasons.

It is coming from a long term mate that buys cars new for his business on lease, this one is about to come to the end of the lease and he has offered me the buy out on it at $17000

The car has been serviced by a main agent to the book. He has towed a pretty heavy caravan with it and a boat but not all that much.

The car has done 200,000 k's mostly on WA country roads

Apart from needing a good detail it is in really nice cosmetic condition.

Questions

Should i take it?

What could go wrong at that mileage?

Is a major service due? what is the service schedule for these?

What should i get done / changed for peace of mind given that I intended traveling right around Australia in it towing a caravan.

Any opinions welcome

Davo
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

At that price it sounds like a bargain.
    What spec is it? GLX-R, Exceed ??
    Auto or manual?
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Peterng
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2013
      • Northern Rivers NSW

Welcome to the forum..

200k distance for a 4 yo vehicle..is about 50k per year..so this vehicle has done a bit..
      Redbook has it about 75k for a 4yo Paj.. they work on 25-30k per year

They have a 2014 Paj..Trade 24-27...Private about 5k higher, so the 17k price adjusts for the travel component.

The services by the book helps with the overall "looking after" of the vehicle..it means the owner did the right thing but don't let that cloud your mind, it's a tick in the good books.

In towing a heavy caravan..check the rear suspension..drive train etc..have a 4wd mechanic who know their stuff go over it with a fine tooth comb...

Others in the forum will advise as well on what to look for...check and investigate..

Hope it works out..

Good luck

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

At least you know the history of the vehicle. There are quite a few (albeit earlier model, but similar Pajeros on this forum, and they don't seem to have problems. If you are handy with the tools, this sounds like an excellent buy.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Very reliable motor and auto so at 200,00 you still have a lot of kilometers left in it. If you purchase it I would recommend getting every oil/lubricant changed, along with coolant. Definately get the auto a full flush. Pay to have tappets manually checked as well..not just an audible check. Thorough check by a mechanic you can trust and hopefully you will have a vehicle that you will enjoy for many years, trouble free.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Make sure that the brake fluid is changed. This will ensure that you don't get boiling when braking hard, also prevent corrosion in the wheel and master cylinders.

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

I believe its a good buy at that price mate, especially with the good service history you state it has. Continued good service by yourself should give you many years of motoring.

When I get a new to me car (ie second hand) I always conduct a major service at it so I know where everything is at. From there I then maintain the services normally slightly less than what the manufacturer state. With Mitsy they state 15000kms or 1 year between services......personally I do every 10000kms but up to you.

As others have already quoted I'd do all oils including engine diifs & transfer, all filters (oil, air and cabin), coolant, brake fluid, auto full flush. Know it sounds like a fair bit but the money you are saving buying at that price its worth spending a little now on full service to maintain it properly.
              2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• davo453
                • Aug 2018
                • WA

Thanks for all of the replies, I reckon I will go with the car as long as a visual checks out ok.

It is an Auto 2014 VR-X so has a few of the toys as well.

I am an experienced home mechanic having done it all really over the years from gearbox & engine rebuilds to a full restoration in my 50+ years, however when we get back to Perth we will be temporarily homeless let alone have any access to a workshop and tools.

So who would you entrust the work of replacing all fluids and checking suspension etc to in Perth? I am badly out of touch as we have been over seas for almost 10 years.

Thanks again

Davo
                Last edited by davo453; 28-08-18, 02:56 AM.

Comment

• spot01
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

Sounds like a good buy & price for a VRX, assuming it checks out OK. Kms not an issue at that price provided it has been properly serviced per the handbook.

Try to get a printout of what was done in at least the last few services, eg, auto fluid should have been done at 180k service, etc. That way, you can avoid wasting money replacing fluids, etc. if already done.

Get the VIN number & enter into MMAL's website - there is a link to check all recalls have been done (there have been a few, including both front airbags). Also there is a link to advise new owner contact details for any future recalls, etc. The website has a page with the service schedule/items (same as in handbook). Auto fluid and valve adjustment are the big $ items if needed. Other items to check are coolant, brake fluid, all oils & filters incl. fuel.

Unless already done, you will need brake controller and probably some rear suspension work to tow heavy. I'd probably do the front shockers also at those km.

You should then have a good rig at a very reasonable price - lucky you!
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Nab
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Perth

$17k for a 4yo VRX, 200,000km, known history is a bargain. Even if you don’t like it you will get $20k+ easy if you want to sell it.
                    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• davo453
                      • Aug 2018
                      • WA

All sounds good then you don't think i should bid him on the price then

thanks again for all of the info, I just need a good mechanic in Perth now.

Comment

• Nab
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Perth

Search Carsales for >2014, >180,000km. Nothing under $21,000 and they are all GLXs.
                        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X