• Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

An Innovative new torque converter lock-up kit

LAST EDIT: Jul 2021

Introducing.... lockup-mate, auto-mate, and now auto-matePRO. The most advanced transmission lockup-kits available.

Why have a lockup-kit?
    Improved fuel economy when towing(10% is typical) and much lower transmission temperatures (70-80 degC max is typical).
    For the Challenger/Triton MN, they solve the LIMP mode problem afflicting these vehicles when towing up long steep hills or even on the flat into a head wind.

How it started... back in May 2017
    I had terrible problems managing transmission temperatures while in the Victorian High Country in Jan 2017. My mates with a lockup-kit didn't.
    I had a TCC lockup kit I designed myself for my old Pajero, the NP -simple relay based one. For my NX I wanted something much better.
    In my NP I found manual control over it was distracting and I sometimes I accidentally overloaded the drivetrain (i.e. bad shudder) and a few times stalled it while fumbling for the switch - not good.
    Nothing was available that met my needs (and still isn't btw), so as a qualified electronics engineer I started to design one that is exactly what I wanted.
    The goal of my kit was to be completely automatic in operation and be much simpler to install.
    I also want it to be affordable.
    Well, that was in September 2018. There are now more than 1000 happy customers of lockup kits, with the number growing every week.

Here’s what lockup-mate does (features):
    1. automatically activates the TCC lockup when the conditions are right; but more importantly, then disables it under conditions that would put excessive stress on the drivetrain - to avoid that horrible shudder​
    2. then, re-locks it again when suitable
    3. it automatically adjusts for low or high range 4WD selection
    4. works best when transmission is in SPORT mode. In D mode, the gear chosen by A/T ECU is almost always to high for lockup conditions, and as a result, when in DRIVE it will only lockup at speeds > 75kph - it's best if driven like manual in SPORT mode. auto-mate overcomes this and works best in DRIVE.
    5. doesn’t required cutting into wires of the factory harnesses to get speed or statuses. Instead it reads all info from the CAN-Bus (e.g. speed, RPM, headlights, gear, trans mode P-N-R-D-SP 2WD,4WD etc etc)
    6. processes all this data using a micro computer to use an optimum algorithm, rather than a simple speed on-off based one.
    7. can be enabled or disabled by the driver
    8. uses PWM signals to control the lockup clutch, exactly like the factory ECU does. It also uses the same activation profile as factory (which takes 3 seconds). It's not just on/off control.
    9. is adjustable to your preference. (sensitivity of lockup, lockup start gear (2nd is default), LED brightness)
    10. Integrated LED status indicator/switch - off=TCC unlocked,ON=TCC is locked. LED brightness is linked to headlights on/off so is automatically dims more at night. Brightness is user adjustable.
    11. headlight dimming of the LED can be overridden while driving if in the daytime if you want to drive with the headlights on. (just press cruise control CANCEL button for 5 seconds to toggle intensity)
    12. You can still use OBD2 devices. So, it still allows you to connect up and use an Ultra gauge (or your own favourite ODB2 device like a scan gauge, ELM327 bluetooth adaptor with Torque app, GPS head up display etc). This was an essential requirement for me, and I'm please to have cracked it
    13. Self diagnostic mode, to assist with post-installation tests and fault finding.

auto-mate - adds a new DRIVE mode optimised for towing

auto-mate takes lockup-mate to the next level.
    And in the Challenger and Triton it makes the auto simply awesome in comparison!!
    lockup-mate works in both DRIVE and SPORT modes of the transmission, but in DRIVE it only works at speeds >75kph because when in DRIVE the factory ECU is in control of the gear changes.
    auto-mate replaces DRIVE mode and controls all the gear changes at all speeds. Great if you're towing in hilly terrain.

auto-mate has the following additional features:
    1. Full control of the gears in DRIVE mode for optimised torque converter lock up and fuel savings.
    2. User adjustable transmission shift profile – to adjust for your specific car (say with larger tyres or remap), or for a sportier response.
    3. Displays the current gear number in the instrument cluster, even when in DRIVE.
    4. 5th gear lockout. Ability to set the top gear as 4th.
    5. Will hold the lower gear during downhill engine braking even after switching back from SPORT to DRIVE. (Except MQ Triton)
    6. Fully automatic operation – set and forget!
    auto-matePRO (now our most popular product)
    All the features of auto-mate plus two memory settings and more configuration parameters for smoother operation, especially with re-tuned/chipped engines.

Prices: (includes Express Shipping within Australia)
    lockup-mate $495 Pajero NS, Challenger/Triton MN,MQ
    lockup-mate PLUS+ $695 Toyota Prado 150, 200
    auto-mate $795 Pajero, Challenger, Triton MN, MQ
    auto-matePRO $895 Pajero only

More info is available on our web page http://www.mm4x4.com.au. You can also subscribe by entering your email address so I can directly send you updates when the products are released.

cheers, Marshall
    Last edited by m_and_m; 16-07-21, 07:53 AM.
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

Hi Marshall,
    Glad to be reading of your progress. As you know I have been eagerly awaiting your Lockup Mate so put me down for 1 straight off the bat.

Cheers mate

Steve
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• rotare
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2007

Sounds great. Lockup-mate for me please!
      2013 NW VRX

Comment

• XXXceed
        • Oct 2013
        • Adelaide

Great job m&m, I hope you are able to develop something for the old NP
        2004 NP exceed DI-D: Bilstein/Lovell 2"HD lift, Bushskinz guards & sliders,Tigerz 2x2.5 awning, Toyo Opat 2's, Safari snorkel, SR 3" exhaust

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Bloody oath. Knew you had something in the pipeline. Lock-up mate kit for sure.... I woul;d also like to see a small led included that would light up when the lockup is applied. Not necessary but just a handy thing to have to monitor the set up.......yes/no?
          Last edited by Dicko1; 24-09-17, 08:19 AM.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Your website also has an "Auto-Mate" featured, interested in one for the Jatco auto that is fitted pre mid NT and earlier Pajero, Triton and Challenger.
            Happy to help with the development and be a test mule.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• m_and_m
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2010

Thanks all.

Originally posted by XXXceed View Post
              Great job m&m, I hope you are able to develop something for the old NP
              NP has certainly been my thoughts. Maybe after my current pipeline of ideas are finished, so it won't be in the near term.

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
              Bloody oath.
              Thanks Dicko, that was the response I was hoping for

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
              I woul;d also like to see a small led included that would light up when the lockup is applied. Not necessary but just a handy thing to have to monitor the set up.......yes/no?
              Yes - already a step ahead of you. We have a small switch with a LED embedded for status.
              off = lockup-mate is OFF
              dim = lockup mate is ON
              bright = TCC is locked up.
              The LED will also automatically dim according to the headlights being on or off.

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              Your website also has an "Auto-Mate" featured, interested in one for the Jatco auto that is fitted pre mid NT and earlier Pajero, Triton and Challenger.
              Happy to help with the development and be a test mule.
              Deal
              2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
              Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                Thanks all.

NP has certainly been my thoughts. Maybe after my current pipeline of ideas are finished, so it won't be in the near term.

Thanks Dicko, that was the response I was hoping for

Yes - already a step ahead of you. We have a small switch with a LED embedded for status.
                off = lockup-mate is OFF
                dim = lockup mate is ON
                bright = TCC is locked up.
                The LED will also automatically dim according to the headlights being on or off.

Deal
                Sounds good. Should be a big market once word gets around. Can I have a ride in the new Mercedes when you get it?
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• pjchris
                  • Jun 2007

An Innovative new torque converter lock-up kit

Put me down for a lockupmate-Lite.....

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

• NTBenny
                    • May 2017
                    • Newcastle

Following with interest.

Benny.
                    2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • Melbourne

Also interested for towing. Presumably won't allow lockup in first? Wholesale auto says not possible with factory configuration (something to do with solenoid already in use when in first)
                      MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                      Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• m_and_m
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
                        Also interested for towing. Presumably won't allow lockup in first? Wholesale auto says not possible with factory configuration (something to do with solenoid already in use when in first)
                        Correct. Transmission needs to be modified to lockup in 1st.

Comment

• Scouter1
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2013
                          • Sydney NSW

Marshall, please put me down for a lockup-mate Lite. I have the Wholesale Autos lockup kit which gets used periodically, the ability for this to run automatically would dramatically improve the functionality of the overall system. Also happy to be a test mule

Cheers,
                          Stephen
                          2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• grhyso
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Perth

Definitely interested depending on price. Do you have any rough idea of cost or expected sort of time frame for price and availability?
                            2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

A lockup is next on my list of things to do. So if you can do an all in one, reliable solution, then I'm keen to see more. Following with interest
                              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X