• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tinash
    • Sep 2010
    • Cobar

NK 3.5L V6 - 3.2L Common Rail Diesel

Hi
    I am new to this forum and am chasing some advice/info.
    I currently own a 1997 NK Pajero with 3.5L V6 petrol. It has just clocked up 300,000kms. I have owned it since it had about 80,000kms on it.
    I am considering converting it to 3.2L Common Rail Diesel out of a late model Pajero.
    The main reasons for the conversion are that we do quite a bit of travelling with the camper trailer in tow and the 3.5L becomes a bit heavy on fuel when fully loaded. Diesel is also abit easier to obtain in more remote areas.
    Just wondering if anybody has done anything similar. Is it worthwhile. Can it be done or am I just dreaming.
    I appreciate any comments or feedback
    Thanks
  • mojo007
    • Jun 2012
    • western australia

diesel motor

If you go done the road of replacing your petrol motor for a diesel make sure you find out how many kms it has done. If it has done 100,000km replace the upper timing chain guide, it cost about $30 plus approx $200 to $300 labour. There is plenty of talk about this in past messages.
    NW Platinum 2012. Narva Ultima 225 spotlights with 55w HID globes. ECB Bullbar. Dual battery Red Ark Isolator.

Comment

• SWB ANDY
      • Dec 2011
      • melbourne

it is possible but is it worth doing, as you would probably have to rewire the ignition side at the very least, you would have to be very determined not a job for the fainthearted, i am sure others with more experience in the 3.2d will eloraborate on the technical side.
      1994 JDM 2.8TD SWB,UNIDEN UHF, 4300KG WINCH, MAXXIS BRAVO AT, ALLOY BAR, SAFARI SNORKEL, WORK IN PROGRESS

Comment

• Barneymutt
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Regents Park. Qld

There is a bloke on the South African Pajero forum that fitted a 3.2 Diesel to a gen 1. I think he did a bit of a write up, which I just found.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2012
          • Maitland, NSW

For the price and headaches involved you're probably better off selling yours and upgrading or opting for a 3.2diesel model(unless you already have the motor and wiring or can get it next to nothing).
          97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
          97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• Tinash
            • Sep 2010
            • Cobar

Thanks for the heads up
            The guy from South Africa's thread looks fairly interesting

Comment

• swamprat
              • Jun 2012
              • western vic

at the end of the day you would probably be better off selling yours & buying a diesel vehicle , there used to be a saying when restoring cars that went something like , work out exactly the cost of all the parts etc that you will need ,double that figure then you are about half way there , if you love a challenge & have the time & knowledge to do the job yourself it could be an interesting project , just dont forget that the rest of your car has done a few km,s , if i was doing the conversion i would try to buy a accident damaged diesel vehicle so i had all the necessary part for the cheapest price , saying all that i have converted or sorted out a few conversions of my own over my 4wd career . holden into landrover , valiant into landrover , chev diesel into international 4x4 truck , cummins into international 4x4 truck , & fuel injection onto my 2.6 series 1 shorty pajero . goodluck
              ND shorty 2.6, EFI, suspension lift , body lift ,fuel tank lift,6 point alloy cage, front bar & winch, upgraded front brakes, 35s"
              NJ lwb 3l auto ,front bar HID driving lights, roof racks as required
              International D1510 4WD 6bt cummins ,air bags 37"s etc

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X