• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NL_ASHIE
    • May 2009

Should I use overdrive when towing?

He guy's
    This xmas I will be towing my jayco camper up to Qld and was talking to my mechanic recently and asked about using overdrive when towing and he said no problems, but a few weeks ago I had my NL put on gas and that mechanic said I shouldnt use overdrive when towing.Just wondering what some seasoned Paj drivers have found when pulling a van.
    Cheers Ash
  • NJ94
    Valued Member
    • May 2009
    • Melbourne East

I'm not sure about that Ash? I tow with my NJ with o/d engaged. If it hits a steep climb it changes back. Unless mechanic was saying something about the LPG? Can't imagine that being a problem even though it obviously burns hotter but the engine is designed for it.
    Peter
    "We have two lives, and the second begins when we realise we have only one." Confucius (551-479 B.C.)

MN Triton GLX Plus, dual batteries, ARB winchbar, Airtec snorkel and 3T towbar. Love it!!

Comment

• chippy4x4
      • Apr 2009
      • adelaide

well I would say NO
      the way it was easily described to me was that the input shaft to the gearbox can become "bent" due to the tourque being forced down the shaft. Similar to the way that a small drill bit will bend when being pushed hard while drilling. The shaft will return to its normal shape when the tourque is backed off but it is while the "bend" is present ,that it may cause a slight miss alignement with the meshing of the drive gears and spigot bearing
      hope this helps

Comment

• Alex86
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Here and there

Have also been recommended to not use it.

Auto box can overheat according to some.
        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
        Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Matatak
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2008
          • Perth

i reckon it all depends on how heavy your load is that youll be towing.
          05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

• NL_ASHIE
            • May 2009

Hi matatak
            I will be towing around the 1300kg mark I reckon.

Comment

• Sbazz
              • Apr 2008
              • Adelaide

I was told when i had a new transmission put in that the most likely reason the old one was cactus was from towing too much with the overdrive on - something to do with heat dissipation being better when the overdrive is off
              '93 NH GLS - bull bar with IPF spots, rear diff lock, dual batteries, half finished rear storage (still)

Comment

• dank54
                • Jul 2009

I reckon as long as its not working hard 'lugging' in o/d its fine. The clutch in the torque convertor are quite small and cant handle huge amounts of torque through them.

The problem with towing while it isnt in o/d is that the engine is spinning harder and working the fluid in the convertor harder which generates more heat.

The enemy of the auto trans is heat so think about having an external trans cooler fitted if towing is going to be a common task.
                NH GLS LWB V6 MANUAL

Comment

• Goody
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Brisbane

I have towed for years in my Paj, I used to tow a 16ft poptop and always in OD. I now tow a 2 tonne monster full van and after having my gear box shit itself I now tow with OD OFF. I dont let the rev's go much over 3 grand and so far on this trip ( one month on the road) all is fine. Economy is as per expected ( 250 kms on a tank of LPG 65 litres)and I dont find the Paj hunting for gears. We average about 85-90 kph on good roads.
                  For the longitivity of your tranny I would recommend towing in OD OFF.
                  2018 NX GLS Pajero
                  3.2 DiD
                  Pretty stock, Uniden UHF, Dual battery system, HPD Catch Can, Rear Draws and fridge slide
                  Tug for my van and boat
                  I love herhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...lies/smile.png

Comment

• sharky
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2008
                    • Kilmore

I would say o/d off but if you were going along a straight stretch slightly downhill I dont see why you couldnt engage it then.
                    ----------------------------
                    'Steve'
                    2000 NL TD GLS

Comment

• Blu Ballz
                      • Mar 2009

It has to do with your gear ratios for an automatic transmission. Third gear is generally about 1.3:1 or about that and overdrive brings it to about 0.75:1 so the engine is going slower than what the engine is trying to put out. This puts extreme pressure and heat onto your torque converter trying to go from rotary flow back to vortex flow. If you stay in third without overdrive on you will stay in rotary flow and will have minimal heat.

So when towing overdrive off.

Hope this helps
                      I have done so much for so long with so little and now i can do so much more for much longer with my massive sidchrome tool box.

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by chippy4x4 View Post
                        well I would say NO
                        the way it was easily described to me was that the input shaft to the gearbox can become "bent" due to the tourque being forced down the shaft. Similar to the way that a small drill bit will bend when being pushed hard while drilling. The shaft will return to its normal shape when the tourque is backed off but it is while the "bend" is present ,that it may cause a slight miss alignement with the meshing of the drive gears and spigot bearing
                        hope this helps
                        Sorry, this is simply wrong.

1. The drill bit bends because there's an axial force. The gearbox input shaft shouldn't be experiencing an axial force.

2. The input shaft torque comes from the engine. The engine can only produce so much torque, and the gearbox is designed to cope with this torque.

Any reliability issue would come down to heat; allowing the transmission to labour in OD would create extra "slip" in the torque converter, which will increase heat generation. Too much heat for too long and things fail.
                        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Rayw1
                          • Jan 2009
                          • Pine Rivers Queensland

Originally posted by Blu Ballz View Post
                          It has to do with your gear ratios for an automatic transmission. Third gear is generally about 1.3:1 or about that and overdrive brings it to about 0.75:1 so the engine is going slower than what the engine is trying to put out. This puts extreme pressure and heat onto your torque converter trying to go from rotary flow back to vortex flow. If you stay in third without overdrive on you will stay in rotary flow and will have minimal heat.

So when towing overdrive off.

Hope this helps
                          Bluey..
                          I'm probably going to show a whole heap of ignorance here, but... are you talking about taking the automatic off and driving in manual and using 4th gear as your top gear when you are saying taking the O/D off?

When I tow I have got into the habit of driving in manual based on a discussion on this forum several months ago. However I have often wondered about the differential in heat generated by driving in auto and causing the extra heat in the torque converter as opposed to driving in 4th gear and having higher revs than if in auto. Does a higher revving engine mean it is working harder, therefore more energy more friction more heat?

Hope my query makes sense.

Ray.
                          2006 NP DiD auto -ARB bar, Warn winch, SCA driving lights, HD King coils.

Comment

• Blu Ballz
                            • Mar 2009

The highest gear in a manual or an auto box is always a ratio of 1:1 or better like 0.89:1.
                            In a three speed the gear ration is just not quite low enough for a good cruising range so they throw in an overdrive to bring the engine speed down. In a manual or an auto to stop the engine and gearbox from working to hard you should not have your gear in a ratio of 1:1 or less.
                            I have done so much for so long with so little and now i can do so much more for much longer with my massive sidchrome tool box.

Comment

• Spursman
                              • Feb 2009

DO NOT use overdrive or cruise control while while towing. I believe MMAL does not recomend the use of overdrive and this stated in the owners Hand book.
                              Cheers Spursman.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X