• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Archie167
    • Nov 2013
    • Gisborne

Steel Rims for VRX NW

G'day,

Does anyone know if you can get steel Sunraysia rims to fit the a VRX NW Paj? Probably prefer dropping from 18 inch to 17 inch to give me a better and hopefully cheaper range of tyres? Any help or information would be appreciated.

Would like to start doing a bit more 4WDing and have already chipped one of the alloys.

On another note entirely, does anyone know if Roley is still making the rear bumper skid plate. I missed my opportunity to buy a while ago and may have left my run a bit late. Can he be contacted via email?

Thanks
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

To the best of my knowledge, no aftermarket steel rims fit the NW satisfactorily, due to the large front brake calipers. The genuine MMAL 17" steel rims fit properly (I've had them on an NW VRX) & MMAL sell them as spare parts for about $180 each (+ nuts & caps) - keep an eye on eBay & Gumtree for second hand genuine steelies (although getting rarer these days).

There are many threads on here about aftermarket wheels for the Gen 4 if you want to research further.
    Last edited by spot01; 19-09-17, 10:44 AM.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Archie167
      • Nov 2013
      • Gisborne

Thanks for the quick reply? Do you think 17" is a better way to go for off-road then?

What size tyre do you use with the 17" rim? I'm considering a 2" suspension lift, will this effect the tyre size?

Sorry for all the questions, a few $$ to spend so trying to get it right.

Comment

• SteveD
        • Jul 2015
        • Charters Towers Qld

Hi Archie

I have a set of 6 genuine MM steel rims 17" that have been sandblasted and powder coated with brand new BFG KO2. Might be interested in selling if your keen. PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
        Steve
        2013 VRX manual. ARB deluxe bull bar. Light force 50W HID driving lights. GME UHF. Redarc 200amp changeover solenoid.

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

IMO the 17" is much better for off road, with a LT tyre. There are far more LT tyres available in 17 than 18 and the cost savings will pay for your rims after 1 or 2 sets of tyres. There is plenty of info in threads on here re tyre sizes & lifts, with many opinions & much valuable experience to draw on - it will depend on where you are going off road. I use the standard size tyre (265/65/17) as shown on the vehicle's tyre placard, but I don't have a lift & my use is mainly outback tracks & exploring (not hard core).

Take your time & do your research on here to make the right decision for you & your intended usage.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Archie167
            • Nov 2013
            • Gisborne

Thanks Spot01.

Nothing too hardcore for me either. Was wandering if the lift may help preventing dragging the rear bumper bar (bucket) when you step off ledges and sand dunes etc.

I think the rocks on the tracks around Alice may have dinged my alloy rim.

Regards.

Comment

• womble
              • Apr 2012
              • Adelaide

I have bought the Mitsubishi steel rims for my car as there are NO aftermarket steel rims that suit. Also Boos Bash plates now do the rear bumper guard
              2016 NX GLX Pajero, ARB Bar, Safari Snorkel, Lightforce DL230HTX, D697's, EGR Plug and Play and The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift

Comment

• Archie167
                • Nov 2013
                • Gisborne

Thanks Womble

Comment

• dbdb
                  • Aug 2008
                  • Adelaide Hills

Originally posted by Archie167 View Post
                  Thanks Spot01.

Nothing too hardcore for me either. Was wandering if the lift may help preventing dragging the rear bumper bar (bucket) when you step off ledges and sand dunes etc.

Regards.
                  Yes a lift will help, but it depends on how big the ledge is 2 inch lift with standard tyre size on 17 or 18 inch rims is legal. Most find a lift with decent components improves the ride and handling, as the standard springs are pretty soft.
                  14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
                  04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

I've also got the MM 17" rims and use 265/65/17 LT (Toyo) AT tyres. I use my standard 265/60/18 factory alloys and tyres when driving around town and put on the steels for off road. Both are basically the same outside diameter so there's no impact on speed readings etc. I'd also recommend you get the lift done, I don't go on crazy tracks but we do go up to double black and having that extra clearance is a real bonus. Also get the bash plates, they've saved me once already.
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Archie167
                      • Nov 2013
                      • Gisborne

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll try Calling CSA about there steel Rims. If they don't work I'll look for some MMA Rims. Great info, thanks again.
                      Cheers.

Comment

• rxcorp
                        • Sep 2015
                        • Melbourne

i have Hilux 17inch steelies on my muddies. on a NS.. clears fine.

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • doncaster east vic

PDW make one to suit the Pajero, i haven't seen one fitted yet though
                          Back from the Dark side
                          NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• JoeMcDermott
                            • Jun 2014
                            • Gold Coast

Originally posted by rxcorp View Post
                            i have Hilux 17inch steelies on my muddies. on a NS.. clears fine.
                            Bigger brakes on the later models so clearance with them will be an issue.
                            2014 NW with OL bar, 9,500lb winch, Bushskinz, TJM dual battery kit, UHF, Outback drawers, ARB compressor, MSA fridge slide with Evakool fridge, 55mm lift and rear airbags, water tank and pump.

Comment

• reciprovac
                              • Jan 2011
                              • broadford Victoria, Australia

Steel rims

I have a set of 5 17inch wheels ex my NP pajero (Sunraysia)
                              I have tried to fit them to the NW and the rears are OK but the front just touch the brake calliper.
                              I think with a 5mm spacer they would probably fit.
                              If you want them I will take $100 the lot,they are in excellent condition but taking up valuable space.
                              I am located in Kilmore.
                              Regards.
                              2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
                              Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X