• Jul 2012
    • South East S.A.

Originally posted by _jp_ View Post
    At the risk of opening a massive can of worms,
    Cheers.
    One thing I think is safe to say.

Massive can of worms Officially open.
    bigbaddave12.
    NW MY12 Platinum Pajero, ARB Bullbar, Greatwhites 18 Led Light Bar, Sandgrabba Mats, Wetseat Covers, Full EGR Block, Airtec Snorkel, Plus more when the money tree grows it's leaves back!

Comment

• Dude
      • Sep 2011
      • Victoria Point

Yesterday I was reading a document produced by Penrite and they said that on some desil engines, the engine oil is used to prime the fuel pump.

What do the mechanics think about that. Could this be a reason for different performance between oil viscosities.

Comment

• TheTaipan
        Banned
        • Jan 2009
        • sydney

Originally posted by Dude View Post
        Yesterday I was reading a document produced by Penrite and they said that on some desil engines, the engine oil is used to prime the fuel pump.

What do the mechanics think about that. Could this be a reason for different performance between oil viscosities.

Interesting.

I wonder what brands and models do.

"Most wear occurs in an engine at start up. Therefore,
        the oil must have the correct low temperature
        viscosity to flow quickly to the bearings and valve
        train to prevent wear. Some engines require low
        viscosity oils to start at all, especially some of
        the new diesel engines found in four wheel drives,
        where the oil is used to operate the pump to prime
        the fuel injectors."

Penrite Oil is a 100% Australian Owned company producing a premium range of vehicle and industrial lubricants, coolants, gear oils, hydraulic fluids and additives. Discover why Penrite is a Better Class of Oil.

Comment

• DaveH
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2010
          • sydney

I'm reading a lot about viscosity so I checked the manual that came with my NT. For the diesel it says

SAE 5W-30 for -40C to 50C+
          SAE 10W-30 for -20C to 50C+
          SAE 15W-40 for -15C to 50C+
          SAE 20W-40 for -10C to 50C+

This probably explains why dealers use whatever viscosity they get cheap.

I live in Sydney and it never gets much below -3C and I don't go to the snow so I recon any of the above would be OK for me. The main thing is to watch for the ACEA classification.
          2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

• Straitened Out
            • Sep 2010
            • Maryborough,Qld.

I had trouble using the search function for this, so apologise if someone has already answered this before.

I have an NW diesel which is soon to reach 7500km at which point I'd like to perform my own intermittent oil change.

At the risk of opening a massive can of worms, can you please advise your recommendation, experience or cautions regarding which engine oil to use.

The dealership I purchased it from advised they use "Caltex Delo Synthetic Blend 10W/40" but can't find that exact product. Also, I think the Delo branded items are generally sold in drums for commercial application, not your average home mechanic.

Cheers.
            I always used caltex Delo 400 in my NP but was told my NW had to have one of the "newer" oils so I have used Synforce Cruiser oil. Both come in 20L containers which only get you a couple of changes anyway. Your question made me go and check the specs on the two oils and I find that the Caltex Delo equals or betters the "newer" oil in all categories so I might switch back. I was buying the Caltex at just over $100 ror 20L.
            Cheers
            S.O.

Comment

• _jp_
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2013
              • Adelaide Hills, SA

Just to update I did my 7500km oil change using Penrite Diesel HPR 5.
              NW GLXR - SOLD
              --------------
              EVO 6 TME

Comment

• HSV Rangie
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2010
                • Hastings

good choice
                2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• flyboy
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2017
                  • SA

Same here. Provided the MM dealer with a 10L container of the HPR5 diesel which is 5w-40.

Then straight after it was serviced I did a big 3000km trip in it last week, and it has never run better since we bought it 12 months ago. It’s much smoother throughout the entire rev range. Idle is smoother. And the cold start is much quieter. It used to really rattle initially and be quite sluggish until it had really warmed up.

Even the wife noticed it was a different car.

I have no doubt the MM dealership that did the last service (in NSW) was using oil that was far too thick. I don’t see the point running a 10w or 15w in these engines, given the service book shows a 5w-30 being safe for ambient temps up to 50 degrees.

Comment

• green troll
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2015
                    • Adelaide

Engine oil for NW diesel?

I think penrite 5w30 is now called C3. For anyone playing at home. Another good oil I’ve used when penrite isn’t on sale is nulon currently $22 off 10L

Comment

• Paj11
                      • Jun 2017
                      • Sydney

My mechanic uses Mobil 0w-40, expensive but goes nice.
                      2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Been using Valvoline 5w-40 full synthetic for 3 years...no problems. Buy when on special at Supercheep.
                        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Dalma01
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Sydney

My new mechanic uses Fuchs 10w40 synthetic ( careful how you say it haha ). Wow! Never felt so smooth and quiet in 5 yrs.

Comment

• flyboy
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2017
                            • SA

You could easily change that 10w-40 out for a 5w-40.

The viscosity at operating temp will be very similar, but then 5w will be much lighter at cold temperatures.

Comment

• _jp_
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2013
                              • Adelaide Hills, SA

Wow, I wrote that over 3 years ago.
                              Since that oil change I switched to Valvoline Fully Synthetic 5W40 and have changed it every 7500kms and also supply it to the dealer when they do the capped price servicing. Just about to clock up 75000kms. Like Dicko1 I buy it when its going cheap at Repco or SCA.
                              NW GLXR - SOLD
                              --------------
                              EVO 6 TME

Comment

• Camo1966
                                • Jun 2017
                                • Durack NT

In 2010 I started using Cadilac oil in my 1HDFTE 100 series cruiser. I was using Ultra Blue 15W-40 it's the same oil used in trucks. I had my oil sampled at 18500KL's there was no issues flaged now considering at this stage the oil should have been changed three times {every 5000KM} and the oil color was still blue. I also had the oil life checked against the new oil and it was at 50% so I could have safely changed the oil at 20,000 or 25,000KM and it's not a synthetic oil and at $125 for 20liters {i get a discount} that's prety good. Now that I have switched to a 2012 NW Pajero I use Cadilac Race oil Full Synthetic 15W-40 in the Pajero and in our 2010 GTD Golf. I know that there a few Transport companies that use Cadilac oil and they get longer drain intervals for their engines and the diff oil temperature runs 10degrees cooler on their road trains. Cadilac oils are a local company in Queensland. I currently get the oil sent to Darwin not a problem.
                                Last edited by Camo1966; 23-02-18, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X