• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pharb
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Tyers,Vic

DRL power source

I have an NX GLX5 without factory fitted DRLs.

Planning on getting a pair of Stedi DRL/fogs for the ARB bullbar shortly.

Is anyone able to tell me what the factory DRL wiring looks like behind the headlights so I can try to tap into the factory switched power source?

I have quite a few unused plugs behind both headlights but none seem to power up with ignition and turn off when park lights come on.

Would prefer to use factory circuit if possible to prevent having to reinvent the wheel.
    PCOV Member 1107.
    Daily driver NX GLX
    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
  • KiwiNTPajero
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Wellington,New Zealand

do you have fogs?
    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• pharb
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
      do you have fogs?
      No, but they are simpler to wire up.

Power (via relay), switch, earth......and recognition of the legalities of when you can and can't use them
      PCOV Member 1107.
      Daily driver NX GLX
      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2014
        • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by pharb View Post
        No, but they are simpler to wire up.

Power (via relay), switch, earth......and recognition of the legalities of when you can and can't use them
        ahh you in same boat as me then.I was hoping i could see some pics of the origianl fog lights and how they mount.I have the three wire version i think i will need two relays,i to make the circuit and one to break it when the lights come on
        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

Don't make it too difficult for yourselves.....no need for relays etc. Just use a tapafuse direct into fusebox in engine bay.

See below post for example.

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• pharb
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
            Don't make it too difficult for yourselves.....no need for relays etc. Just use a tapafuse direct into fusebox in engine bay.

See below post for example.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=58948
            Unfortunately old mother hubbards relay box is bare on my model.
            PCOV Member 1107.
            Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

• Mike DiD
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007

There is no circuit you can use to feed DRLs directly. The DRLs take in the Park and Ignition signal to work out when to be on. This connector does not exist on pre-NX models.

The original DRLs connect via an 8 pin connector near the bottom kerbside of the radiator - It has 2 of each of Earth, Park, Ignition, Fog, one set for each side.
              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• pharb
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post
                There is no circuit you can use to feed DRLs directly. The DRLs take in the Park and Ignition signal to work out when to be on. This connector does not exist on pre-NX models.

The original DRLs connect via an 8 pin connector near the bottom kerbside of the radiator - It has 2 of each of Earth, Park, Ignition, Fog, one set for each side.
                Thanks Mike. I had checked a few connectors around front of radiator with no success. However I hadn't found an 8 pin connector. Will have another look.
                PCOV Member 1107.
                Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

• pharb
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Tyers,Vic

Found some plugs I had previously looked at.

1 plug each side, both could house 8 pins.........but only actually hold 4.

In each - 2 earths, and I can't get the others to power up, although didn't try a variety of light switch positions tonight pretty sure I had tried these connections previously and couldn't work out what might of powered them.
                  PCOV Member 1107.
                  Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

• sharkcaver
                    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                    • May 2009
                    • Perth

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                    Found some plugs I had previously looked at.

1 plug each side, both could house 8 pins.........but only actually hold 4.

In each - 2 earths, and I can't get the others to power up, although didn't try a variety of light switch positions tonight pretty sure I had tried these connections previously and couldn't work out what might of powered them.
                    Following the thread cause its one of those projects I hope to get to one day. Mine is a povo pack NX 5 seater, no DRL's fitted. But I bet the harness to do so is there. Pharb, I would suspect if these plugs are correct and do not power up, then it probably doesn't have a fuse fitted to its supply.

It would be great to check side by side against one fitted with DRL's
                    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• pharb
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Tyers,Vic

I'm hoping to catch up with a friend when he gets back from holidays. He has a bog stock '17 GLX.

Hopefully his car might shed some LIGHT on the subject
                      PCOV Member 1107.
                      Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

• Country Cruiser
                        • May 2019
                        • Adelaide

Hello All,

Found this thread while having a poke through Google. I too have a NX GLX5 and after first trip out in some fog thought I'd add the fogs to my factory MM bullbar.

What I know so far is:

- The GLX5 came with the NW front bumper and therefore doesn't have the NX style DRL/Fog assembly, when talking to Mitsubishi Parts their computer shows Fog lights as not compatible when bullbar fitted.

- As above, there is an 8 Pin Connector on the passenger side behind the grille where the front bumper loom connects. It does not have the pins for the DRL populated, only the Fogs - Red / Black.

- The front bumper loom is not installed from Factory. The part number is: 8518A221 and is normally removed from the plastic bumper and refitted to the MM Bullbar itself on installation. The Fogs are wired Red / Black, the DRL is Black / Green / Blue

- I've replaced the single fog switch to the right of the steering column with the dual switch as per NX GLX and up models. Same connector on the rear and when fitted the front fog indicator in the cluster lights up.

- After fitting the switch and installing a relay in the empty location in the engine bay, the relay clicks as it should with the switch.

Does anyone know which function ignition / park is carried by blue/green on the front bumper loom?

I've picked up a secondhand set of the NX Fog/DRL assemblies, so should be able to power them up with a 12v supply and work out which colour is which. After that it should hopefully be just a matter of working out how to install the front bumper loom and find some neat pickoffs for the ignition/park wiring required.
                        2016 NX GLX5

MM Steel Bullbar, Cooper AT3 LT, DRL/Fog Retrofit, Safari Snorkel, TJM/Dobinsons Suspension, Rhino Pioneer Platform, GME TX3350 UHF, LRA 81L Aux Fuel Tank, Lightforce Striker 170, Dr Air ProFlow Compressor, 23 Zero Awning, Engel Combi, Lawson Infinity System, Half a tank of Diesel.

Comment

• Seigried
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2016
                          • brisbane

I will be intrested in the outcome of this. When i bought my NW new it was ordered with the steel bullbar and optional round drl lights to replace the factory fog lights. This is before the current front bumper with drl became available

Long story short I had a call from the mitsubishi dealer stating the drls did not fit in the steel bullbar due to the drl body being longer. Alot of back and forth between the dealer and I and I ended up with a whole lot of factory accessories in liue of the drls. I still want the drls though.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Keithyv
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2018
                            • Perth

Just make sure you are not one of those drivers that has their FOG lights in the bulbar on all the time.
                            Toyotas seem to be bad for it on ARB bullbars. Seems like they wire them up so other drivers are blinded.

Remember there is a big difference between DRLs and fog lights...
                            2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                            MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Country Cruiser
                              • May 2019
                              • Adelaide

Appropriate usage aside, the Pajero Fog Light switches are not a physical throw type switch, they are a momentary that triggers the ECU to turn the lights on.

Automatically turn off and can't be switched on and forgotten etc which I imagine is why a Pajero is a less likely offender.
                              2016 NX GLX5

MM Steel Bullbar, Cooper AT3 LT, DRL/Fog Retrofit, Safari Snorkel, TJM/Dobinsons Suspension, Rhino Pioneer Platform, GME TX3350 UHF, LRA 81L Aux Fuel Tank, Lightforce Striker 170, Dr Air ProFlow Compressor, 23 Zero Awning, Engel Combi, Lawson Infinity System, Half a tank of Diesel.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X