• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gaz1
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Blue Mountains NSW

cap of radiator expansion bottle

There is a constant small bit of green coolant sitting on the top of the bottle just around the neck where the screw cap is located, it's just a couple of mm wide. The coolant level is not dropping, nor does the coolant look discoloured or oily. It's a V6 but the radiator setup on either engine looks pretty much the same.
    The cap doen't have any sort of sealing washer/o-ring in it to to seal the gap when it is screwed down onto the bottle, and none of the illustrations I can find in workshop manuals for Gen 3 and 4 Pajeros show a washer - should there be one?
    If it's supposed to have be one there, I'm sure MM will have an exorbitant price for it - probably have to buy the whole bottle and hose! (or find a substitute).
    2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Yep they have a washer that is part of the cap and tube that goes in the bottle. Pic below shows the item and part number.
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Sorry forgot thr pic.
      Attached Files

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• gaz1
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Blue Mountains NSW

Thanks to NZ and Tassie for the quick responses. Is the washer that you describe the thin black flat piece of rubber that is part of the top of the tube leading to the bottom of the bottle? Mine is there, but it's quite mis-shapen and doesn't nearly cover the round circle of the cap that it sits on - its also off centre.
        Or is there also another separate washer that fits up inside the white cap and presses on the thread of the bottle when screwed down?
        Cheers

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• rgrubby
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2018
          • Wellington - NZ

Sorry I didn't look to hard. I just happened to pop it off for a look while I was removing the battery try and remember the thin washer was not secured to anything, just sitting there and I had to line it up to put the lid back on. I didn't look under the lid to see what was there
          2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

It has a washer on it further up that seals agai st the white plaste neck of the bottl....See pic below you can just see it. According to Partsouq.com the washer isn't a separate item.
            Attached Files

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• gaz1
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Blue Mountains NSW

Eureka! that's solved it......the black flat washer that's showing up partly inside the screw cap is missing from my car. How it disappeared is a total mystery, probably fell off down into the engine bay without me noticing it. Now to see if I can find something suitable to replace it rather than having to buy the whole thing.
              Many thanks for your help.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X