• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jspalaroan
    • Feb 2017
    • Philippines

Brake clip missing caliper almost detached

First time to post , I recently had my 35k kms PMS to one of authorized dealer and found found out that the clip for my brake clip caliper is nearly detached.

I was blaming the previous shop that I had my pms (30k kms pms to include pads replacement) since they already found out the missing clip but instead put a new brake pad without the clip. Is it safe to drive without this clip? I have driven it for the last 4 months already. At 35k kms pms they just fabricated a new clip however I want to replace this with original part.

I was informed that this clip is not common stock here so they just fabricated a new one. If this clip is installed, is it possible that it can be detached? Or really they have just forgot to put the clip on my previous pms (15k or 25k pms)

Can anyone share the photo of the right clip ? And the part#? I have not seen the original clip as well. Thanks in advance

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jspalaroan; 18-02-18, 02:18 PM.
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Whilever you have the other clip in place, the pads should not fall out, but they will rattle, could be misaligned, wear unevenly and generally it is not safe to drive around with less than optimal braking. What happens if the other pin decides to fall out as well? You have no brakes. Not good.

Comment

• jspalaroan
      • Feb 2017
      • Philippines

The one encircled in blue is the clip that was fabricated hence I need to replace this asap.

I think this is an example of negligence on the dealer/ mechanic.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

• P4J3R0
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2013
        • Brisbane

I have had this happen to me. Only noticed as I was washing the car and when cleaning the wheel noticed it sticking out.

I used a split pin until I could get all new factory clips. If one had let go odds on says the rest aren’t far away.
        NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• stevemc181
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • Thornlie/Perth

I had it happen to me also, I could hear the pin hitting the inside of the mag wheel when we were heading down a bush track. The pin was bent pretty bad, so I hammered it back into shape and used a bit of copper wire to do the job until I could get home and get a new one. A small split pin would be better than the shit clips MM supply.

2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
          3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• pauld
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2010
            • Melbourne

Am I reading this correct? Replacing pads at 30K??
            2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• hichamaziz
              • Feb 2018
              • casa

you will change it by another

Comment

• jspalaroan
                • Feb 2017
                • Philippines

Originally posted by pauld View Post
                Am I reading this correct? Replacing pads at 30K??

Actually around 35k kms the pads are thin or out of specifications ( according to the dealer) already, my rotors were replaced around 10k kms due to pulsating when braking after a hilly trip, it was under warranty then. Also most of the time I use this on city driving so pads wear out fast due to stop and go( because of traffic jam)

I stand corrected, the one encircled in blue is not the part that was fabricated, it too big for a clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

• Schulzy
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Sydney

I cut a paper-clip in half and wound it through the end of the pins. It's just a piece of wire to stop your pin coming out

Comment

• geopaj
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Schulzy View Post
                    I cut a paper-clip in half and wound it through the end of the pins. It's just a piece of wire to stop your pin coming out
                    Pretty much what I was about to suggest.

DO NOT drive it with the pin loose!!
                    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• farcanal
                      • Mar 2010

Not sure how you can wear pads out at 35,000 kms.
                      When I traded my NP it had 280,000 kms on it and still the original pads.
                      Admittedly that included a lot of country driving, but there was also a fair bit of city driving as well. The pads were due to be replaced, but there was still some meat there.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X