Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Penrite full synthetic

Penrite 5w-40 full synthetic at supercreep for $44

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Super cheap have 30% off all Penrite products that ends today (check website for details).

Got 3x 5L of HPR15 for just about the price of 2 normally!
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• green troll
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2015
      • Adelaide

Is there much difference between the 5w-40 and a 10w-40

Seems people use both

Comment

• RodZone
        • Nov 2015
        • Gippsland Lakes

I tried the 5W for a couple of hundred k's in my NM and it was 'noisy' so changed to the 15W - instantly quieter.
        2000 NM V6 Exceed auto

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
          Super cheap have 30% off all Penrite products that ends today (check website for details).

Got 3x 5L of HPR15 for just about the price of 2 normally!
          And the sad part is supercreep are still making a big profit.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by green troll View Post
            Is there much difference between the 5w-40 and a 10w-40

Seems people use both
            Not really living in Adelaide, perhaps if you lived in Canberra or the snow country.
            As always, check the book for the right grade for your climate.
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
              And the sad part is supercreep are still making a big profit.
              Yes, but I prefer companies that make profit and continue to provide good service and employ people, instead of companies that go broke & then people lose their jobs........too much of that happening at present.

Best advice is to plan ahead and buy when the sales are on, whether it be oil or a Paj!
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by RodZone View Post
                I tried the 5W for a couple of hundred k's in my NM and it was 'noisy' so changed to the 15W - instantly quieter.
                Not surprising in an older engine.
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• green troll
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2015
                  • Adelaide

Yep I went HPR 10. As advised by Penrite. There seems to be no real benefit of HPR 5 even in the snowy regions. Both are rated well below temps we see here in OZ

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by RodZone View Post
                    Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                    Not surprising in an older engine.
                    I just changed to Delo 400 15W-40 at 7500km in my NX and could say the same - instantly quieter.
                    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Kumabear
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Sydney, Macarther Region

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                      I just changed to Delo 400 15W-40 at 7500km in my NX and could say the same - instantly quieter.
                      I am not sure how this is related to the 5w vs 15w

My understanding of how oil viscosity works (if i'm understanding it wrong then i have no idea, hopefully someone can explain it) is that the second number (in this case 40) indicates the oil viscosity at operating temp.

The first number indicates how cold the oil can be and still be within its viscosity specifications to meet the second number.

In the case of a 5w-40 oil it would maintain its correct viscosity all the way down to 5c

Although a slightly thicker oil can at times provide a little extra protection make it run smoother especially in a older engine with some wear (just a little not alot thicker) its the second number that matters regarding that. At cold start up you want your oil to be as close to its correct specifications at the turn of the key as possible so that the oil can readily coat engine components and flow easily around the engine. As the vast majority of normal engine wear occurs at cold start the easier that oil is able to flow in the cold engine the better, Which is why its important to pick the oil that matches your climate.

A 15w oil at 5c or less will be thicker than the 40w rating on the bottle until the engine warms the oil up, this is not good. It definitely has been colder than 5c in my area in the morning and I definitely noticed less cold diesel rattle from my engine when I swapped to the 5w last winter.

I run with the 5w all year round and its been great tho I cant comment too much on longer intervals as i do the oil changes at 7500km/6months I imagine it may break down faster due to the extra additives.
                      2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Sydney

I was making two points I guess. One was in response to a comment that the change to 15W is not surprising for an older engine yet I got the same result on a brand new engine.

The second point and I probably should have elaborated is that since both types of oil mentioned are "-40" then there shouldn't in theory be any difference once at operating temperature. I however found the engine quieter both when cold and once warmed up. The manual has 15W suitable down to -15*C. I'll be surprised if I ever see temps below zero.

Originally posted by Kumabear View Post
                        In the case of a 5w-40 oil it would maintain its correct viscosity all the way down to 5c
                        I don't think this is correct. In fact I know so, the *W is the SAE viscosity rating at 0*F.
                        Last edited by Pajshomoneroguntero; 07-07-16, 06:13 PM.
                        NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Jan 2016
                          • adelaide

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                          do you provide it to the dealer when you have your car in for the log book service ?are they happy to use delo 400?did they make any comment about the delo?

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2013
                            • Sydney

Originally posted by 028 View Post
                            do you provide it to the dealer when you have your car in for the log book service ?are they happy to use delo 400?did they make any comment about the delo?
                            I'll let you know in about 7000km.

I did ask them when I got the car and this particular dealer said it wasn't a problem although at the time I did not state which oil I'd be using.

Build Thread

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X