X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shadowarrior
    • Jul 2010
    • Gold Coast

Anybody has any info if they improved the mounts for the later models?
    Have a MY14 PC and was planning to put the TJM underbody plates.
    Titanium MY14 Challenger Auto, MM Steel bullbar, MM tow kit, MM foglights, MM carpet mats.

Comment

• greig
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2010
      • kanwal

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post

If it were me I would knock the other nut of also. Use a bolt straight through the gearbox mount. You may have to make a spacer for clearance, another nut would do the job.
      When mine did the same, I removed the crossmember and welded the nuts properly ( they are only tacked on normally ) and also welded 2 4mm spacers on the big tabs, so the bash plate would sit flush and not get pulled in by the bolts..

I also welded nuts on the top side of the crossmember as well..

Comment

• Ent
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2014
        • Tasmania

Same issue here. Using Mitsubishi plate and Bushskinz transmission guard. Looks like the bracket itself tore apart.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ent; 16-09-15, 05:05 PM.
        2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• 2mM
          • May 2014
          • Adelaide

Having previously read about the weak brackets, when I bought my bushskinz I had a good look at the existing brackets and replaced them with brackets I cut out of 4mm square tube.

Comment

• Ent
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2014
            • Tasmania

Originally posted by 2mM View Post
            Having previously read about the weak brackets, when I bought my bushskinz I had a good look at the existing brackets and replaced them with brackets I cut out of 4mm square tube.
            Would you mind posting photographs as playing with a few options. Thanks
            2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• wasarangie
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2010
              • Ocean Grove

Over on NewTriton there are details and drawings for H/D mounts. Will post a link shortly.

Here you go :- http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewt...h+plate+mounts
              Last edited by wasarangie; 16-09-15, 05:17 PM. Reason: Add link.
              SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• mossy338
                • Jan 2011
                • NSW

Originally posted by AndyRW View Post
                I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile grinding the factory crap off and then having a thicker gauge L bracket welded on in its place.
                Comments anyone?
                Steve
                Looks someone has thought of this.

2014 PC auto Challenger, TJM bull bar, TJM 9,500 lb winch, TJM bash plates x 3, OME suspension 40mm lift, Autosafe cargo barrier, SPVi EGR control, Maxxis AT 980 265/70/16.

Comment

• 02-SR5
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • Toowoomba

Is that $39 each or a packet of them?

$39 each, I don't think ol'mate has a very good business model, can't really see him selling any at that price.
                  MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• wasarangie
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2010
                    • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
                    Is that $39 each or a packet of them?
                    It would have to a pair. At least it does say "mounts".

These a similar to the ones I made and they only took 30 mins from start to installed. If you are any good with a welder then have a go.
                    SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• fester
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
                      It would have to a pair. At least it does say "mounts"..
                      Wow, that's ridiculous too if correct. it's just a bit of off the shelf angle with a nut welded on.

Comment

• Ent
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2014
                        • Tasmania

Took advantage of a visit from my fitter/welder brother and broke out the toys, sorry, tools. Brother calls me a tool collector, but it was handy to have them. I can understand the cost of things done by commercial operators as the job needed welder, angle grinder, drill, ramps, taps, spanners, etc. If you look at them all laid out you realise that this minor job needs a major lot of tools.

Brother does a lot of repair work so interesting to see his logic in work. First he looked at the surviving bracket on the cross-member that the front wishbones use. Unimpressed was he with both the welding and the material strength. Now this bracket failed not due to the heavy BushskinZ gear box plate but with the Mitsubishi Factory accessory plate. Also, the low quality nut had the thread almost cut out. But lets make it clear, this is not a Mitsubishi warranty claim. Err why not? Ok lets leave that alone along with the terrible job Mitsubishi do on the 4wds protecting their vitals.

Secondly, he is no fan of the captive nut setup. Numerous times he has encountered problems when the welds break and the nut goes round and round. Also, if you weld around the nut to head it off often the nut will shrink so you need to run a tap through it to be safe.

His approach is heavy angle iron with the hole taped in. If the thread fails just go up the next size bolt. He only sides welds as top welding can result in the weaken member material tearing. Also, better the bracket bend and break off first rather than the cross-member suffering damage.

So here be the pictures.

1. Base material used.

2. Mitsubishi's attempt at Aussie engineering. The broken bracket was removed by the dealer and never mentioned at the 30,000km service, with the plate just left hanging with every other bolt finder tight ready to fall out.

3. The taping operation. Now proud owner of 6.8MM thread drill bit until I dropped it on the concrete, looks ok but not a nice thing to do to a drill bit.

4. Finished job.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Ent; 19-09-15, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• 4wd26
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

Heavy duty plates
                          Make sure that you allow movement, slot the hole rather than keep it all ridgid

I have upgraded mounts and have wrecked these as well, rock is not forgiving

Would recommend if upgrading the mounts to go for just a mount and leave the nut removable/ replaceable

Sand mud debris get in the thread and you stuff the captive nut the whole mount is stuffed, and these boots get removed often for oil changes

At this point look at using a fumuto valve to stop the requirement to remove the plates at each service
                          ML triton with some accessories
                          National E Trek Libary
                          Getting Out There

Comment

• coughy
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2014
                            • Redlands Brisbane QLD

very good idea 26 you should look at mine i have it installed and very easy to change ol when scolding hot and on bash plate removal...
                            My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
                            New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• Ent
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2014
                              • Tasmania

Originally posted by coughy View Post
                              very good idea 26 you should look at mine i have it installed and very easy to change ol when scolding hot and on bash plate removal...
                              On small thing. If a service mechanic is not looking for it what will happen?

Brother has a pump to get oil via the dipstick as an alternative.

But interesting looking gadget. Not sure how it will take to a hit though.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X