Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Commercial Advertisers > Commercial Advertisers > MM 4X4

MM 4X4 Affordable Vehicle Electronics

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Default Do you want a 5th gear lockout feature?

I've had a request for a feature to stop the transmission going into 5th gear when driving through hilly country, to stop hunting between 4th and 5th. Peter - you don't need to reply

Is anyone else interested in this?
It's essentially the same as the old fashioned overdrive "off" button.

My idea would be to 'double click' the LED switch to toggle the mode overdrive ON and OFF. The LED would flash 4 times when on, and 5 times when off. Between engine starts it would reset to OFF

What's the opinion? Anyone think they need this feature?
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | GPS | PLB | Sat-phone | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate, auto-mate [prototype]
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread here

Checkout my products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I like that idea. Wouldn't it also be good for towing when you don't want 5th ?
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with Toyo OPAT AT2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
I like that idea. Wouldn't it also be good for towing when you don't want 5th ?
Yes.
Sometimes you do want 5th when towing as you can save on fuel.
Can always use SPORT too depending on condition.
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | GPS | PLB | Sat-phone | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate, auto-mate [prototype]
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread here

Checkout my products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I use sport to hold it in 4th but change to D when going through a town so that the car will change up when required. I've often forgotten to shift back to sport when hitting the 100k zone again so if i had an option to stay in D but not go to 5th, that would solve that problem.

I do like the point about towing in 5th with the TC locked.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with Toyo OPAT AT2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

With Auto Mate, 5th gear does not change up until about 78kph on flat roads and light throttle positions. When I was doing the testing with a 1900kg trailer through the hills and up the SE freeway I did not find the need to override the locked 5th gear when it was selected by Auto Mate. The only time I over rode Auto Mate was on steep descents and you get better engine braking and greatly improved ATF cooling.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Sounds good OJ. One thing I'm not sure on in the video, is the light an indication that it's locked or just that Automate is on? He says a couple of times that it's locked but I couldn't figure out how he knew, apart from maybe checking the revs.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
Sounds good OJ. One thing I'm not sure on in the video, is the light an indication that it's locked or just that Automate is on? He says a couple of times that it's locked but I couldn't figure out how he knew, apart from maybe checking the revs.

In Auto Mate the LED pulses until the ATF is up to temperature (40C) and the dash display is "D", once up to temp the LED stays ON and indicates that Auto Mate is doing its thing, you do not need to know if the TC is locked up or not, but the dash indicator displays the current gear so you can see which gear you are in at anyone time. When in Auto Mate the TC rarely unlocks once over about 15-20kph and in 2nd gear.

In Lockup Mate mode the LED flashes if the TC is not locked to remind you to change down a gear, when you change down a gear the LED goes "OFF" but the dash display still displays which gear you are in.

When Auto Mate is turned "OFF" then the LED is off and the dash gear diplay indictes "D".

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Lockup Mate.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Thanks for the clarification OJ.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_and_m View Post
I've had a request for a feature to stop the transmission going into 5th gear when driving through hilly country, to stop hunting between 4th and 5th. Peter - you don't need to reply

Is anyone else interested in this?
It's essentially the same as the old fashioned overdrive "off" button.

My idea would be to 'double click' the LED switch to toggle the mode overdrive ON and OFF. The LED would flash 4 times when on, and 5 times when off. Between engine starts it would reset to OFF

What's the opinion? Anyone think they need this feature?

Hell yes. PLEASE!

2010 PB XLS auto, MML alloy bullbar, Dobinsons suspension 2" lift, Bushskinz bash plates, ARB aluminium roof rack, 2nd battery in rear guard, MML towbar, BFG A/T tyres, Clearview mirrors, 80 ch UHF etc. It's a heavy pig.