Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 24-07-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
Wouldn,t common sense be that the more stress you put on anything the more likely it is to fail? This goes from chairs, humans , engines bridges etc.etc. Many people learn from experience. Experience has shown me that the more you modify and alter something that is a very good product in the first place..the more likely you will have issues at a later date. As I said I will be getting an ECU remap once my warranty period is over. I will be chasing an improvment in torque and power for towing. Fuel consumption doesnt worry me..never has. I consider the prices are exxy BUT ...if I know things are getting done on a dyno and not just a quick chip in-chip out type remap then yes, I can see the obvious costs. Have had cars and bikes on dynos before and the biggest problem is comparing dyno read out to dyno read out. Reckon original poster will benefit from M&M,S TORQUE LOCKUP KIT AS WELL.
How much extra load do you reckon he is putting on the engine??? Certainly not enough on the sheets he has shown to be worrying about longevity, engine wear and drive train stress. That actually comes down to how you drive it after it is tuned as opposed to the tune itself. And if you're towing a caravan - that probably puts more strain on everything than the tune he got.

Also - most dynos are going to read pretty differently - all depends on when they were calibrated and what software and configuration they're running. The only thing that really matters is the before and after on the same dyno - either it has gone up or it hasn't... dyno could be out 10% from accurate reads but if before and after shows increase in kw and torque - % gain will be the same regardless of the starting figures.

I agree with stoneman - don't worry about the haters - just get in there and drive it like it should be driven. on the result - wish you were close by - I'd love to see how it feels - bumseat dyno - best dyno ever!
Old 24-07-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneman View Post
its well known from factory engines are de tuned, make of that what you want but i wouldnt be comparing that to some solenoid device that runs off a can bus messages, totally different. You cant even compare some lock up kit with a improved tune

its not the highest numbers you look at, its the gains you make.

No 2 dynos will read the same, this has been spoken to death on the subject of dynos and read outs, only the stubborn argue numbers.

word!!!
Old 24-07-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
I can. A lock up kit can let use all of the factory power, rather than losing some of it in the torque converter. Read this: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=61359

Don't get me wrong here - I understand the appeal of a decent dyno re-map, but I want exhaust and intercooler before I go there, and I keep spending cash on things like suspension, tyres & trips.

A lockup keeps my transmission temps under control where a remap won't help.

A better intercooler will keep my intake temps under control where a remap won't help.

I'm sure a remap will add to the enjoyment of a spirited drive, but for my purposes, the bang for buck is lower.
A bigger intercooler and exhaust won't have a great deal of impact on a full tune unless you're going to whack on a bigger turbo and try and shove more stuff through the whole thing. The factory turbo on the NW is pretty good but WAY under-utilised. The intercooler and exhaust aren't going to be restrictive enough to really impact a good streetable tune with the factory turbo. If you go nuts and push it to the limits of it's boost range yeah maybe - but then the whole thing would be a pig to drive...
Old 25-07-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddasgear View Post
Price was $1400

That was the total price? Including the service and tappets etc?

David
Old 28-07-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasta View Post
A bigger intercooler and exhaust won't have a great deal of impact on a full tune unless you're going to whack on a bigger turbo and try and shove more stuff through the whole thing. The factory turbo on the NW is pretty good but WAY under-utilised. The intercooler and exhaust aren't going to be restrictive enough to really impact a good streetable tune with the factory turbo. If you go nuts and push it to the limits of it's boost range yeah maybe - but then the whole thing would be a pig to drive...
I found the stock intercooler in its location quite limiting, mainly through the warmer months and especially while towing. Could actually feel power drop off as the intercooler got heat soaked, couldn't recover and the intake temps got out of control.
Jonny Tig intercooler kit fitted and problem sorted. Didn't make much difference to power per say, but power was there all the time no matter what OAT's and my EGT's have dropped anywhere from 80 to 100 deg. Thats has to be beneficial to the engine longevity.
Old 31-07-18
Valued Member

The choice of spending money on intercooler v remap depends on what you are doing, where & when.

The intercooler in the Pajero is very undersized / inefficient & is a big problem in hot weather & at altitude when towing.

I towed our boat from Albury to Bermagui at Easter. The cool dense air morning on the Hume saw it towing with ease, even using 5th with TC locked where it is not normally possible. No hill saw it lose speed below 100 in 4th & there’s some big hills there. Climbing up from Tumut was hard work but was always going to be, EGTs we’re very high any help from a better intercooler would have been good. The surprising part was on top of the Snowys, I thought something was wrong, EGTs would not come down after cresting a hill, power was noticeably missing. Once I was down at Bega then it was clear all was ok & back to normal.

I have seen the same on the mountain we live on, towing a heavy trailer up on a hot day, struggling in 2nd, on a cool day doing it easy in 3rd.

A friend has a Prado, most days the Pajero kicks it’s butt but not on a hot day with a trailer up a mountain.
2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.
Old 07-08-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwpajero View Post
This may generate some discussion, however I post it for info only. Price for an MRT ECU remap is around $1100
My local tuner quoted me $1695 as a one off special price, might need to go elsewhere!
Old 07-08-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld View Post
The choice of spending money on intercooler v remap depends on what you are doing, where & when.

The intercooler in the Pajero is very undersized / inefficient & is a big problem in hot weather & at altitude when towing.

I towed our boat from Albury to Bermagui at Easter. The cool dense air morning on the Hume saw it towing with ease, even using 5th with TC locked where it is not normally possible. No hill saw it lose speed below 100 in 4th & there’s some big hills there. Climbing up from Tumut was hard work but was always going to be, EGTs we’re very high any help from a better intercooler would have been good. The surprising part was on top of the Snowys, I thought something was wrong, EGTs would not come down after cresting a hill, power was noticeably missing. Once I was down at Bega then it was clear all was ok & back to normal.

I have seen the same on the mountain we live on, towing a heavy trailer up on a hot day, struggling in 2nd, on a cool day doing it easy in 3rd.

A friend has a Prado, most days the Pajero kicks it’s butt but not on a hot day with a trailer up a mountain.

Have a look at the thread on intercoolers, i did a very simple mod by adding 2 extra opening, and a couple of holes, it has made a noticable difference when towing
2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana