Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 10-07-18

Default How long did your rear shocks last you?

Hi all,

So just stuck my head under my NX 2016 build Pajero looking at the tyres and found my rear shocks have started to leak. The car has only done 23000km.

Iím just wondering how long peoples shocks have lasted them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-18
Valued Member

Not sure how long my OEM shocks would have lasted - I swapped them out almost as soon as I bought my NW. After almost 5 years and 117,000km on the clock I have just lost one of my rear Koni Raid 88 shocks. They've survived a lot of outback punishment. I'll replace the pair on the rear axle with Konis and keep the surviving old one as a spare. I've got a trip up into Arnhem Land later this month and I want to be able to rely on the suspension.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX DiD Auto (white) with Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, sidesteps, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, SPV EGR mod, Scangauge, Piranha replacement steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, Ironman 2x2.5m awning, HPD oil catch can
Old 10-07-18

My NT has done 140K kms and while Mits said they need replacing, a local mechanic confirmed my thoughts that no problems as yet. OEM shocks.
Old 11-07-18

My recently traded NP had 280,000km on the clock.
My last camping trip was over some of the roughest roads I've ever encountered and I'm pretty sure the shocks were on the way out after that trip. When the salesman took it for a run to appraise it for trading he said the suspension probably needed some work. Before that camping trip they seemed fine to me....but I never actually got under to have a look.
The k's on OP's Pajero seemed too low for leaking shocks.
Old 11-07-18
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwoffey View Post
Not sure how long my OEM shocks would have lasted - I swapped them out almost as soon as I bought my NW. After almost 5 years and 117,000km on the clock I have just lost one of my rear Koni Raid 88 shocks. They've survived a lot of outback punishment. I'll replace the pair on the rear axle with Konis and keep the surviving old one as a spare. I've got a trip up into Arnhem Land later this month and I want to be able to rely on the suspension.
Aren't Konis rebuildable? Have you obtained a quote to have them re-built?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 11-07-18
Valued Member

You are quite right - Konis are rebuildable. And Mark at Web Suspension is getting a quote. My problem is that I leave for Arnhem Land at the end of next week and the turn around time for repairs just doesn't fit. Just BTW, there are no new Koni 56272 available at present from the Oz distributor (Top Performance) or elsewhere Mark has tried. So given the constraints I am going to get some Billies straight away (always wanted to try them) and will get the bung Koni rebuilt at leisure, so I will have the Konis standing by as my next replacements.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX DiD Auto (white) with Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, sidesteps, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, SPV EGR mod, Scangauge, Piranha replacement steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, Ironman 2x2.5m awning, HPD oil catch can
Old 11-07-18

Going through my warranty booklet and have found out the shocks are only covered for 12 months or 20000km.

I honestly canít believe they have leaked. I have only done one trip towing a 2 tone boat for 350km. A trip to peak sand hills and one to bendleby ranges.

Oh well I guess itís time for a lift...

Old 12-07-18

Go back to your Mitsubishi dealer and have an argument. Just because they say they only have 12 months warranty means nothing. There is an implied warranty on all new products sold that they must have a reasonable lifespan. The standard shocks on my old 98 Pajero lasted in excess of 300,000 kms but the shocks on my 2015 Triton had to be replaced at 15,000 kms (under warranty) so it would seem quality is slipping. John
Old 18-07-18

Default How long did your rear shocks last you?

Just an update called into Mitsubishi and they have warranted the shocks.

I still donít trust them as I havenít done that much yet just flinders, peak sand hills and some general stuff around. Only towed once a 2 tonne boat for 350km.

I will be replacing the suspension shortly with Old Man Emu.

Last edited by Poite91; 18-07-18 at 12:12 PM.