Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Do It Yourself Projects

Do It Yourself Projects Anything that you have made up yourself. Rear storage systems etc

Old 12-07-18

Default Thumper Compressor Modification

I have one of the older Thumper compressors, it's been great but always anoyed me that it has a male Nito fitting whereas compressors usually have a female fitting. This means you can't use a standard tyre inflator, blow gun etc:

I decided to replace the fitting, but in my haste to take the thing apart I broke the tube that fits inside the handle:

The tube appears to be made from cast Chinesium. Whatever it is, I know it's brittle. The thread for the safety valve is 1/4 BSP, but the head to T piece is a very odd size. I guess it is a metric fine thread but couldn't find a single replacement fitting that would screw in. Supercentre had no idea and couldn't supply any replacement parts, just a whole new compressor.

So I drilled and tapped the head to 3/8 BSP then fitted a 3/8 to 1/4 reducer:

Red Locktite means it's not going anywhere:

From there I added a T-piece and a pressure switch, as with the female Nito fitting the compressor needs to shut off automatically when the air isn't flowing. The pressure switch is connected in series with the existing on-off switch:

The compressed air now exits through the side of the handle:

And I can swap a standard regulator/filter between my big compressor and this one, or just connect any airline direct:

Finally I added Anderson plugs in the cable, so can connect either to an external Anderson on the Paj, or with clips on the battery. To be honest the standard cable is pretty borderline and does get warm in prolonged use. If I were doing this again I'd probably upgrade the cable:

The finished article. The wires to the pressure switch come out through the rear of the handle where the original air fitting was and through a hole drilled in the rear cover. In terms of the time and effort required to do this I would say absolutely a waste of both, but I wasn't throwing a perfectly good compressor in the bin just because I broke a couple of bucks worth of fitting!

Cheers,
2003 NP 3.5. LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.
Old 12-07-18
Valued Member

Nice work bud. Having the compressor set up with a pressure switch is so much cooler than having it running the whole time between tyres. It's on my to do list. Already got the switch and fittings, just gotta pull the back of the car apart to get to the compressor behind the trim.

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear shelf with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, tigerz awning 2.5 x 2.0m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.
Old 12-07-18
Valued Member

Would like to fit a pressure switch as well. What fitting are you using onto the tyres?

Hatto, any chance of some shots of where you have mounted yours, or a link?

Cheers,
James
07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates
Old 12-07-18
Valued Member

That's an improvement for sure.

What's the current rating on the pressure switch ?
ie Is it able to cope with switching the full load of the compressor motor, or should you use it to control a suitably rated relay ?

(For example, an AOB unit is rated at 10A
http://www.aironboard.com.au/store/p...20psi-off.html )

Last edited by Kingbrown; 13-07-18 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Web reference added
Old 12-07-18

Looks good,
I have a 2002 NM and have second battery and a few other things in the third row of seats well. I was thinking or mounting my Thumper compressor in the well also and re-rooting the on/off switch and hose connection to a panel near my draws.
Was wondering if anyone can see a problem with this, or if there would be a overheating problem.
It will be wired direct to the battery including an inline fuse. Later I will put a second 120amp deep cycle battery in there.
Cheers
Bob
2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, Cooper Discovery AT3, 2" Bilsen King lift, Orion VHF/UHF radios,LED Spot light, Rear drawers, Waeco CFX 50 and slide, 120 amp dual batteries, 2.5x2.5 awning with side shades.
Old 13-07-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbrown View Post
That's an improvement for sure.

What's the current rating on the pressure switch ?
ie Is it able to cope with switching the full load of the compressor motor, or should you use it to control a suitably rated relay ?

(For example, an AOB unit is rated at 10A
http://www.aironboard.com.au/store/p...20psi-off.html )

The Thumper already has a relay inside the rear cover. The existing on-off switch just energizes the relay coil. As the pressure switch is in series with this switch it only has to cope with a small current.

Cheers,
2003 NP 3.5. LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.
Old 13-07-18

Nicely done

I've considered doing a similar thing for my mate's thumper, but an external inline version.
Anderson plugs + 100A relay + pressure cutoff switch in a small project box with air fittings.

Theoretically could use it on any compressor so long as it is fitted with anderson plugs.
1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. Toughdog suspension, 265/75r16 Cooper Discovery A/T, 100AH dual battery & db140i isolator, Roof basket, 2.5m & 1.4m awnings, 22" LED bar & eBay HIDs, rear LED work lights, Waeco CF40, custom storage shelf, 50L aux tank.
Old 13-07-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis View Post
Would like to fit a pressure switch as well. What fitting are you using onto the tyres?

Hatto, any chance of some shots of where you have mounted yours, or a link?

Cheers,
James
My thumper (single piston) is mounted behind the rear LHS lower trim panel. It's bolted to the floor behind the passenger rear wheel arch. I did have to cut the bottom off the little storage pocket behind the third row cup holders and put a raised false floor in the storage pocket though. But I only use that pocket for a fuse block anyway and it just sits low enough for the lid to still fit.
I'll see if I can find a pic

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear shelf with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, tigerz awning 2.5 x 2.0m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Last edited by 0415discog; 13-07-18 at 01:15 PM. Reason: To add picture