• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zachman
    • Jul 2018
    • Brisbane

'88 JDM Shorty 2.0 Petrol

Hey All - long rambling first post ahead! New forum poster, and new (ish) Gen 1 Pajero owner! Picked up for peanuts, and hasn't been on the road since 2011, currently unregistered - but keen to work through a large list of jobs to get her back out on the road! 138000ks on the clock, and only one tiny bit of rust above the rear door. All in all, pretty good nick - starts and runs well except for a terrifying steering wobble at 80 km/h (tested on a private road!). It has the worlds most complicated looking 2.0 petrol - a 4G63BT Cyclone - why are there so many wires! - which I believe was an imported JDM only option - she still has the Automobile Assocation of Japan stickers on the back window! It feels strong for a 30 year old non-intercooled EFI turbo petrol, and I'm looking forward to breathing some new life into the body and the engine.

From what I've assessed the current job list is as follows:

Body
    - New rims and tyres. Going to look for 265 75r16's, on either some sunnys or old style triton alloys.
    - Steel bullbar and winch (should be getting one second hand this weekend)
    - Full bush replacement front and back
    - New springs and shocks
    - Underguard paint and sound deaden
    - Snorkel
    - Full diff/gearbox/power steering/brake fluid change
    - Diff/gearbox sandblast and repaint
    - Brake caliper rebuild
    - High mount diff/gearbox breathers
    - Roof rack
    - Rooftop tent
    - Dual battery/12V electric system with dual voltage gauges, inverter, camping lights and air compressor
    - UHF
    - Remove rear seats
    - Replace interior carpet and lay dynamat (or similar) through interior.
    - Driveshaft boot replacement
    - Gangster tint for the back windows

Engine
    - Cam timing belt
    - Get rid of the mechanical fan and go to 2x electric thermofans
    - Fluid flush and change
    - Aircon regas
    - Fix heater blower
    - New power steering pump (has a bent shaft - wtf??)
    - New accessory belts
    - New radiator hoses

Dream Mods
    - Intercooler.
    - 2.75" exhaust (for that sick JDM ricer rumble sound yo )
    - Bigger camshaft
    - Dyno tune
    - OEM guard flares
    - Replacing the 3 weird centre gauges with in style (matching-ish the main instruments) boost, oil pressure/temperature and water temperature
    - Low coolant alarm
    - Rear drawers/fridge slide
    - Overhead console
    - Gen 2 front caliper kit
    - Repaint body
    - Rock sliders with scrub bars to bullbar
    - Interior cargo barrier
    - Replace rear window seals

Its got some amazing features for a 1988 4x4; electric windows, power tailgate, cool gauges, two tone paint, huge trucker mirrors, springy seat, LSD in the back, H+L range gearbox, auto front hub lock, front and rear disk brakes, and a pretty sweet tape deck that works. I'm very impressed! Since it has such low kms, and the potential to be a pretty tough looking and going tourer and camping/hunting vehicle I reckon I'll keep it for a long time!

Keen to hear anyone's thoughts on these mods, and potential future hurdles and upgrades - particularly if you have any of these parts to sell local (I'm in Brisbane).

Photos to follow in subsequent post.
    Last edited by Zachman; 11-07-18, 05:54 AM.
  • Zachman
    • Jul 2018
    • Brisbane

Shorty Pics

Shorty Pics
    Attached Files

Comment

• Zachman
      • Jul 2018
      • Brisbane

Mooorrreee Shorty Pics

Shorty Pics
      Attached Files

Comment

• 98NL GL
        • Oct 2011
        • Cairns

Oh My Oh My.....That engine spec is the same as on the starion 4G63T. Makes it a neat little weapon. Nice I like it
        XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
        1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery.
        1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, INVECS TIPTRONIC AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
        2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK

Comment

• Zachman
          • Jul 2018
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by 98NL GL View Post
          Oh My Oh My.....That engine spec is the same as on the starion 4G63T. Makes it a neat little weapon. Nice I like it
          Thanks - its got to be the most complicated looking engine ever though! It has electronics and sensors all over it!

Comment

• Zachman
            • Jul 2018
            • Brisbane

The Build Begins!

The build begins with a timing and balance shaft belt change, and changing all the front end seals too. Also new water pump, gaskets and serpentine belts. The damn power steering pump shaft is bent somehow, so I'm going to have to find a new one of those! Looks like I'm going to have to change most of the bushes in the suspension too - It's going to be a big job!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Zachman
              • Jul 2018
              • Brisbane

The Build Continues.

Spent the day disconnecting the copious connections that the engine seems to have to everything else! Also attempting to label meticulously, as I'm going to also need to put it all back - and hopefully have it start. This is a result of starting to do the belts and working out that it would probably be easier in the long run to pull the engine/transmission/transfer case out of the car to work on it. Looks like I'll need to do all the gaskets for the transmission/transfer case as well as now needing an engine crane.

If anyone who has experience with these engines (G63B Turbo), and has any recommendations for things to do/check/replace etc while the engine is on the bench I would appreciate it!
              Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X