• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueDog
    • Oct 2007
    • Sydney

DPF - Fix No. 3!

Hi all,

Mitsubishi has just released fix number 3 for the ECU.

I was told this by the Mitsubishi service department at Hunter Holden this afternoon (the Sydney North Shore Mitsubishi dealer).

Earlier this week I made the mistake of letting the fuel level get a bit low, and yes the dreaded DPF warning light came on along with the engine warning light.

The DPF light went out after I filed up, but the engine warning light stayed on. As well as this the engine would run on for a few seconds after I turned off the ignition.

You might think gunk from the bottom of the tank was the culprit but my Paj has done only 3,800 klms and only ever been filled at major retailers.

The service guys said my problem was caused by poor fuel, but I was in luck because they had just received fix number 3 "a day and a half earlier". So they updated the software, did a "burn-off" and changed the oil.

So far its running ok. Wraps to young Brendan at Hunter Holden who squeezed me in during a pretty busy day to get my problems sorted. The whole thing took just under an hour.

I'll post again if the problem returns.

Has anyone else out there had a similar problem (DPF light on when fuel level low) or had the new ECU update?

Has anyone found a simple work around (eg better fuel filter or mod to exhaust system)?

Cheers
    BlueDog

VMS469: 0963
    HFOz: 0079

NS DiD Exceed, Sunroof, Lovell Springs & Bilstein Shocks, BFG ATs, ARB Bull Bar, lightFORCE 240XGTs, Heavy Duty Rhino Racks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Projecta Dual Battery System (TJM system died @ Cameron Corner), Codan NGT HF, GME TX3340 UHF, Bushranger Mats, Garmin eTrex Legend H, Tom Tom XL, EvaKool 50L, bush pin stripes, and a very long wish list . . .
  • Rich
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Canberra

I have had the light go on a few times without problems.

I have the ECU 3 on - the 3rd and final upgrade - I was told - just the the 1st and second final upgrades

Rich

Comment

• capemanifold
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • QLD

Funny you mention regarding low fuel Bluedog ,my DPF came on a week ago a little while after my low fuel warning light came on . The DPF light extinguished itself 5 min later with normal driving . That was the second time in about 20000 k"s ,don"t know if low fuel had any thing to do with it or just pure coincidence.Things all ran as normal though .
      2007 DID AUTO

Comment

• BlueDog
        • Oct 2007
        • Sydney

Rich,

How long ago did you get the ECU 3 update?
        BlueDog

NS DiD Exceed, Sunroof, Lovell Springs & Bilstein Shocks, BFG ATs, ARB Bull Bar, lightFORCE 240XGTs, Heavy Duty Rhino Racks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Projecta Dual Battery System (TJM system died @ Cameron Corner), Codan NGT HF, GME TX3340 UHF, Bushranger Mats, Garmin eTrex Legend H, Tom Tom XL, EvaKool 50L, bush pin stripes, and a very long wish list . . .

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007

low fuel level would have squat to do with the dpf.. you have a fuel/water separator down to likely 1 or 2 microns..

we really need to challenge the dealers each and every time they make a statement as to cause and ask them precisely why?

i.e ask them exactly why "bad fuel" would cause the issue! just why would "bad fuel" cause excess soot/particulate? what is the technical reason? what is "bad" about the fuel. I am so tired of hearing old wives tales from the dealers.

oops ranting lol i have had issues with service people telling porky pies

there is a lot of dpf info posted here, do a search. pickles has posted some good factual data on the dpf issue. read all the pages and all your questions will be answered in full
          Last edited by matthewfnorbert; 15-06-08, 09:22 AM.
          SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• Jeff_P
            • Sep 2007
            • Eyre Peninsula

We had the 3rd ECU update done last week with the 30,000km service. Appears to have instantly improved fuel consumption from 11.5 to 10.3L/100 but is early days yet. Have had no sign of cronic PDF problem for 6,000km since 2nd upgrade to ECU was done. Fingers tightly crossed but all looks good
            Jeff
            Lightforce Blitz 170s

Adventure Grand Tourer offroad Campertrailer

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by matthewfnorbert View Post
              low fuel level would have squat to do with the dpf.. you have a fuel/water separator down to likely 1 or 2 microns..

we really need to challenge the dealers each and every time they make a statement as to cause and ask them precisely why?

Precisely. Water and most crud will settle to the bottom of the tank. Where's the fuel pickup?

Running out of fuel is a hassle - it lets air into the system, and requires the lines to be bled again. Other than that, what's the problem? Are there really that many contaminants floating on top of the fuel?
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Mike DiD
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by BlueDog View Post
                Earlier this week I made the mistake of letting the fuel level get a bit low, and yes the dreaded DPF warning light came on along with the engine warning light.
                What a load of claptrap from the dealer.

You buy a very expensive car in 2008 and you can't let the tank go below half !!!!

Why do they think you have a fuel filter with a water detector built in ????

I regularly run my tank down until there is only five litres left in the tank and I had no DPF problems for the first 7 months. Then using the same fuel as always it happens.

The service guys said my problem was caused by poor fuel,
                I asked about the DPF problem before I bought mine and I was told that it wouldn't be a problem if I used good fuel and BP was recommended - so I have used NOTHING but BP ever - still it happened.

If Mitsubishi tell us nothing about what they are doing, how can they expect us to have any confidence that the THIRD fix will be the one that will work.
                Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• capemanifold
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • QLD

Bought Caltex the last tank of juice , and have always used BP since new . The economy appears to be definetly worse ,in fact the worst figures since I have purchased my vehicle.Am I imagining this ?,I think not as I keep an eye on my consumption figures ever since new .
                  2007 DID AUTO

Comment

• BlueDog
                    • Oct 2007
                    • Sydney

I had planned to only use the 10PPM BP diesel, but its not available in NSW

Does anyone have a view on Caltex's Vortex diesel?

It seems to be about the same price as regular diesel and while its a 50PPM fuel, according to the Clatex website it supposed to have better ignition (something to do with "cetane" ratings) and keep the engine cleaner.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

cheers
                    BlueDog

Comment

• Wrex
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Perth

I fill up at the cheapest in my local area. I don't look at brand names why should I? because my car is faulty?

I fillup mostly at my local Gull service station. Gull here in Western Australia is a locally owned independantly owned stations. They only supply what they call BioGull, it consists of up to 20% biodiesel I have had no issues at all so far.

Comment

• Mike DiD
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007

I had planned to only use the 10PPM BP diesel, but its not available in NSW
                        I never had a vehicle failure due to DPF until BP chnaged from 10ppm to 50ppm Diesel.
                        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007

mike Sydney does not have 10ppm to the best of my knowledge, i also thought it was confirmed that brand has no bearing on the issue whatsoever.

we have some excellent threads which went for months and months over many pages which detail the evolution of the issue and the resolution for most, suggest people use the search function instead of reinventing the wheel here over a few new threads.
                          SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• Mike DiD
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by matthewfnorbert View Post
                            mike Sydney does not have 10ppm to the best of my knowledge, i also thought it was confirmed that brand has no bearing on the issue whatsoever.

we have some excellent threads which went for months and months over many pages which detail the evolution of the issue and the resolution for most, suggest people use the search function instead of reinventing the wheel here over a few new threads.
                            BP were selling 10ppm (clear) until around March when they changed to 50ppm (green).

Right now we can't be sure of what causes DPF problems, as Mitsu won't tell us anything about what they've learnt and why the first two "fixes" didn't.

When they provide some advice saying "do this" or "don't do this", we will know what caused the cars to fail from DPF problems.

Comment

• MinniTheMoocha
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Eastern Suburbs

Caltex fuel is fine!

Originally posted by BlueDog;

Does anyone have a view on Caltex's Vortex diesel?

cheers
                              If you search the forum about fuels you will find out the Diesel supplied in Australia must meet a particular cetane level which is around 51 to 55.

I have run my car on Caltex fuel from new. All through Vic, SA, NSW QLD and not only at major towns or highways. No fuel related problems at all running on Caltex. In fact I believe there are only two Diesel suppliers so most fuel sold in all retail outlets is coming pretty much from the same suppliers.

The fuel consumption on my last trip from Melbourne to QLD netted a fuel consumption figure of 10.5L/100km overall. Which I think was pretty good again all Caltex fuel.

I have not yet had DPF fix 3 applied but will hopefully soon.
                              2007 NS Pajero LWB, Tow pack, FP, 18" rims. A great family adventure car.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X