• Show
Clear All
  • Phil
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2008
    • Sydney

Mud tyres & a daily driver

Hi guys,
    Looking for some feed back from people who run mud tyres on their daily driver.
    Currently looking at changing to a mud pattern from my Bridgestone 694's.
    Great AT tyre and impressive in the wet but looking for something better in muddy places. I have been getting away often latley on hunting trips so they would see some use.

Also tossing up on having a 2nd set of rims (16') and keeping the 17's and 694's

Impressed with the look of Goodyear DuraTrac but can't seem to see the in 17's.
    The Bridgeston 697 seems to have a more open tread blocks than the 694, comments...
    MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.
  • Snapcatcher
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2009
    • Brisbane

KM2's have excellent on-road manners. Put them on your list.
    Silver NM Pajero 3.5L Auto. ARB bullbar, Opposite Lock Rear bar, Front Lokka, Uniden UHF, Bilstein shocks, Lovells HD coils, TJM OX 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2's on 16x8 Advanti Rims, Custom bash plate, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 170s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Ironman Awning, Duel battery system.

Comment

• nptommy
      • Feb 2012
      • wollongong

Originally posted by Snapcatcher View Post
      KM2's have excellent on-road manners. Put them on your list.
      mates got them on his landcruiser. said they werent too bad.

Comment

• mrbitchi
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Brisbane

I recently went down this path. Bought a set of Maxxis Buckshot Muddies for a trip to the Cape. Thought at the time I'd just run them full time...

Well, they are a GREAT tyre on gravel roads and off road, BUT... I soon tired of the noise, poor on road handling and general vague feeling.

So I picked up a second set of rims and fitted ATs to them. MUCH happier. So this would be my recommendation, if you have the room and the gear to swap them as required.

Onother option is to fit something like an MTZ 5 rib or a Cooper ST Max. Not quite as aggressive as a full mud tyre but much better behaved as a daily driver.
        Cheers, John.
        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• kingdavey
          • Jun 2010
          • Warrnambool

I bought some cheap and nasty 31" Roadstone MTs. $135 each. Not too noisey, and wearing quite well. They're not the best off road muddy, or the best handling on the bitumen, but for the price, I can't complain.

Comment

• mmannion
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2008
            • Birth place of QLD

Some like them some don't, me personally the noise of muddies don't bother me and I'm to lazy to be swapping two different sets all the time. I've never had a problem with the handling in wet or dry conditions on the black top and off road.....well enough said.
            02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• MSF
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2009
              • Sydney, Northern Beaches

I change mine over - if your vehicle spends 90% of the time on the blacktop - which I suspect most do, then it's a compromise (often a big compromise) in fuel economy / handling / noise / tyre wear and overall comfort to run muddies all the time..

I have 16x7 steel rims running 245/75R16 Goodyear MT/R's for the trips and the factory 18x7.5 Alloy rims running the factory 265/60R18 Bridgestone Dueler 840's

Best of both worlds... it's sometimes a PITA to have to swap them over for last minute trips, but I have got it down to less than 30 mins for all 5 wheels (still a long way off a pit crew at Bathurst I know
              An added bonus is that I can inspect brakes/suspension/steering etc all whilst changing over - so can look for any problems before they get too bad...

Comment

• markpeh
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2010
                • Lake Clarendon QLD

I run BFG km2's on my hilux. They have great road manners and brilliant in the mud. I would recommend them.
                NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

• Inyo_man
                  • Aug 2010
                  • USA

The DuraTrac is more of a M/T & A/T hybrid, but it's worked great in all conditions (mud, snow, desert, rock). However, I've never had them in a full-on mud bog. Another tire that is working well as a M/T & A/T hybrid is the Cooper S/T Maxx. My brother and brother-in-law are both running them and the reports are very favorable.
                  IMHO, a straight M/T does not make a nice DD. Normally, they don't come with sipping, so the manners on wet road is not stelar. M/T tyres are often quite noisy on the road as well.
                  '02 Montero: OME suspension, ARB front bumper, sliders, homemade 4mm bash plates and spare tire Blitz can mount, extended breathers, K&N air filter, Optima Yellow Top, BajaRack,
                  IPF lights, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75/16's, RUD 4x4 Grip chains

Comment

• paulandkathy
                    • Dec 2009
                    • Traralgon, Vic

I'm currently running a set of Mickey Thompson MTZ on my NM.

I've completed a lap of the country across all types of terrain (30,000 km and still going ), and I've found them to be a fantastic tyre.

They are a bit noisy, but they are a mud tyre. They seem to wearing ok, they are great off road and have good on-road manners as well with a confident feel and feedback on wet bitumen.

I'll be putting another set on when these are worn out.
                    03 NM DiD manual. 2" Bilstein / Ridepro lift. 265/75-16 MTZ tyres, poly-air bags, ARB bar, X9 Superwinch, Roo lites, Airtech snorkel, UHF, mobile phone aerial, under body bash plates, diff / gearbox breathers, dual batteries, all rear seats removed and a home made storage unit fitted.

Comment

• Phil
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2008
                      • Sydney

Cheers for the replies so far lads.
                      Noise is not going to worry me too much, thats what a radio is for right..
                      Will get some prices on the MTZ and BF KM2 in 17 and 16's.
                      Any ideas on the maximum size I could run using 16's
                      MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• dolphin
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2008

its not the greatest of ideas to run Mud type tread tyres around town as a daily, yes they are noisey and they wear out real quick on tar. how about buying a cheap set of steel rims and have the muddies fitted then just wack them on when your going to use them off road.
                        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• OGJON
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2009
                          • Newcastle area NSW

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                          I recently went down this path. Bought a set of Maxxis Buckshot Muddies for a trip to the Cape. Thought at the time I'd just run them full time...

Well, they are a GREAT tyre on gravel roads and off road, BUT... I soon tired of the noise, poor on road handling and general vague feeling.
                          really? I find my 35" buckshots on my GU to perform just as good as my BFG A/Ts on rd, I don't mind the noise one bit even at freeway speeds.
                          off rd they're brilliant I run them at 14psi.

I've had the same set on for 2 & 1/2 yrs now & they've hardly worn at all from 16mm down to 13mm
                          '95 NJ 3.5L auto - bocar alloy bullbar, spotties, Rampt Customs rock sliders, custom rear storage unit - soon to have 5" lift, rear bar by Rampt Customs, 16" rims with 33's, F&R diff locks, LED light bars & full caged roof rack, awning & HD towbar.
                          '92 NJ GLS rally comp truck.
                          '98 GU: 6" lift, regeared, 35" muddies, bar work & battle scars.

Comment

• Phil
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2008
                            • Sydney

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
                            its not the greatest of ideas to run Mud type tread tyres around town as a daily, yes they are noisey and they wear out real quick on tar. how about buying a cheap set of steel rims and have the muddies fitted then just wack them on when your going to use them off road.
                            Thats still on the cards Dolphin, got to work out the price diffrence between 16 & 17 inch tyres and then factor in a set of 16' rims.
                            If i do go another set of rims I'd also be looking at Bighorns or Hankook dynapro's etc

Comment

• mrbitchi
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by OGJON View Post
                              really? I find my 35" buckshots on my GU to perform just as good as my BFG A/Ts on rd,

LOL... Allways reckoned BFGs were overated

Seriously, the Maxxis 771s are much better on road.
                              Cheers, John.
                              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X