• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MyExceed
    • May 2014
    • Hobart, Tas

What's inside the roof rails

Hey all,

Does anyone know what's inside the factory roof rails on a NS? Is there steel reinforcing inside the 'plastic' outer? Where does it gets its structural integrity from ?

I have a flat rack coming that I want to fix directly to the rails but I'm concerned I might crush them if I use a clamp type arrangement......

Cheers
    Mark

NS Exceed V6, xrox bar with domin8r 12000lb winch, The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift, 265/70/17 BFG A/T, LED spots, LED fog lights, 40" roof mounted lightbar, OCAM alloy rack, dual batteries, Boos bash plates, diff breathers, Garmin 67LMT GPS, Tyredog TPMS, Uniden UHF, Engel MR40f in rear drawer system, external phone antennae, cargo barrier, dual side awnings, RTT, shovel holder, spare wheel lift
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

From my understanding they are plastic coated steel beams that are hollow. Not sure of wall thickness on the steel bud but would think they could withstand clamping down onto them to some degree.

Sorry its not a definative answer.
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Alben
      • Jul 2010
      • Victoria

I have my old ones off the NS at work in pieces from when I fitted the rack. I can have a look tomorrow and show you some photos too if you want.
      Cheers
      Ben
      2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• Alben
        • Jul 2010
        • Victoria

I have had a look inside the rails and got some photos and measurements.
        The end sections are a plastic type material while the actual rail seems to be aluminium of about 2mm wall thickness.

Cheers
        Ben
        2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• Hatto
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2013
          • Mandurah WA

good stuff
          Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
          ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• MyExceed
            • May 2014
            • Hobart, Tas

Thanks Ben, I always thought they were plastic with a steel inner, there you go !!

They look strong enough to handle a moderate clamping force around them. I'll use a nylock nut which should prevent them coming undone.

Thanks again mate
            Mark

NS Exceed V6, xrox bar with domin8r 12000lb winch, The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift, 265/70/17 BFG A/T, LED spots, LED fog lights, 40" roof mounted lightbar, OCAM alloy rack, dual batteries, Boos bash plates, diff breathers, Garmin 67LMT GPS, Tyredog TPMS, Uniden UHF, Engel MR40f in rear drawer system, external phone antennae, cargo barrier, dual side awnings, RTT, shovel holder, spare wheel lift

Comment

• Rodt
              • Jun 2010
              • Gunnedah

Hello All, So it appears that you can clamp directly to the rails without crushing them but is this the correct way to fit a basket to your roof?

Had not ever considered doing it this way until reading this as I was always of the understanding that you should clamp to roof racks.

Not sure why I had never considered before as the height has always been an issue to me but that is no doubt an indication of my brain power

Cheers

Rod

Comment

• MyExceed
                • May 2014
                • Hobart, Tas

Originally posted by Rodt View Post
                Hello All, So it appears that you can clamp directly to the rails without crushing them but is this the correct way to fit a basket to your roof?

Had not ever considered doing it this way until reading this as I was always of the understanding that you should clamp to roof racks.

Not sure why I had never considered before as the height has always been an issue to me but that is no doubt an indication of my brain power

Cheers

Rod
                Hi Rod,

In all honesty, I cant see that there's a difference in clamping your cross rails or your roof tray to the factory rails.

I need to keep my overall height to a minimum as my carport is only 2.1m high, otherwise I would just bolt my tray to the rhino roof bars.

my rhino rack clamps use a small piece of rubber around the factory rails so ill copy that when I clamp the alloy tray to the factory rails and Bob should be your uncle....

no doubt others will have different opinions, but ill give it a go and see how it pans out

ill post some pics when its done, hopefully the courier will be here today with the tray (he delivered the mounting feet yesterday).

cheers
                Mark

Comment

• Rodt
                  • Jun 2010
                  • Gunnedah

Thanks Mark,

Mate the logic sounds good to me but have just never seen it (or noticed probably). Definitely sounds a lot easier and less mucking around especially if the basket needs to be removed regularly (which mine does). Also the additional height is a pain the **** when having to lift up and down along with the height restrictions we have to face.

Cheers

Rod

Comment

• GHendo
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Northern NSW

Originally posted by MyExceed View Post
                    I need to keep my overall height to a minimum as my carport is only 2.1m high, otherwise I would just bolt my tray to the rhino roof bars.cheers
                    Mate if you replace the original rails with the Rhino tracks and put the tray on those, you will have no worries getting under 2.1mt. I have the Rhino flat tray set up that way and even with a 2” lift I easily get under 2.0mt – my max. height is a whisker over 1.9mt.

Cheers

Geoff
                    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• MyExceed
                      • May 2014
                      • Hobart, Tas

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                      Mate if you replace the original rails with the Rhino tracks and put the tray on those, you will have no worries getting under 2.1mt. I have the Rhino flat tray set up that way and even with a 2” lift I easily get under 2.0mt – my max. height is a whisker over 1.9mt.

Cheers

Geoff
                      I had thought about that, but I've read where others have done it and I'm not keen on removing the roof lining. How much lower than the factory rails is the track system including the feet?

Could you post a pic of the track system and a measurement from the roof to the top of the feet?

Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X