• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Man Bear Pig
    • Jun 2014
    • Mypolonga

FG Falcon 6spd auto in gen 2?

i have a 1992 NH 3.0lt auto.
    just thinking about replacing the tired auto with a FG Falcon 6spd auto ( sequential shift )
    i think it would be best of both worlds for towing but also able to manually select when needed... 2 extra gears wouldn't hurt either.

just wondering if any one has tried this or herd of it being done?
    how hard/expensive would the conversion be, i m thinking i would need an ECU as well.?
    would it fit to transfer case, would it be strong enough for off road use ?

any thoughts or ideas ?
    cheers
  • razorback481
    • Nov 2014
    • Lewiston SA

interesting question

have you seen one in the flesh to compare lengths etc?

i would say its most likely going to be way too much trouble

maybe something from an NT on wards might be of some benefit as it's from the same family

but i do like your thinking 6 sp

i hvae a 6 sp manual in my Prado and have been looking at the new 6 speed auto in the new prado
    but they use a computer so i need to find out how they compare to the 5 sp in length & computing options

when i was working on Grants NM parjero i started thinking about pulling the 3.2 diesel & fitting something from an NS or NT with the common rail to get away from that early engine fuel pump issue
    in the end we managed to sell the NM & brought a NS

both of these cars need work from the neglect of the previous owners, but a cheaper price was achieved in the purchase which more than paid for the jobs required which added extra coin to do the mods and make it a nice tourer

which he can now trust away on his own

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2000
      • Tasmania

Originally posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
      i have a 1992 NH 3.0lt auto.
      just thinking about replacing the tired auto with a FG Falcon 6spd auto ( sequential shift )
      i think it would be best of both worlds for towing but also able to manually select when needed... 2 extra gears wouldn't hurt either.

just wondering if any one has tried this or herd of it being done?
      how hard/expensive would the conversion be, i m thinking i would need an ECU as well.?
      would it fit to transfer case, would it be strong enough for off road use ?

any thoughts or ideas ?
      cheers
      better option , IMO would be complete 3.8l Mivec engine from ns with 5 speed auto.
      NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
      NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• stumagoo
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Perth WA S.O.R

pretty sure the ZF boxes in falcons require their BCM and engine ECU (and engine) as a complete unit, this may have been bypassed in the last few years of course
        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
        *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

The ZF is a great transmission, it was also used in Jaguar and Landrovers. Although the base transmission is the same the engine adaptor case, torque convertor, internal clutch & brake parts and valves can all differ between models. The AT ECU's are programmed to suit the engine they are connected to, the diff ratio, diameter of the tyres and the weight and use of the vehicle, so the program's are all different, upsift/downshift points, TC lockup/unlock points are all customised for the particular application.

For better chance of getting an engine and tranmission transpant from a later model Mitsubishi 4wd, even then it would be a very costly exercise. Also need consider an significant gain in power and torque will stress the existing driveline and brakes.
          Cheaper, safer and less hassle just to buy another 4wd that suits your needs.

OJ.
          Last edited by old Jack; 17-09-16, 10:27 AM.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• MatthewP
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2014
            • North of Brisbane

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
            better option , IMO would be complete 3.8l Mivec engine from ns with 5 speed auto.

The better option would be trying to get the turbo 6 out of a falcon with the auto, and drop that in.
            05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2000
              • Tasmania

Originally posted by MatthewP View Post

The better option would be trying to get the turbo 6 out of a falcon with the auto, and drop that in.
              that would be insane, but there aint no way an inline 6 is going to fit in a Paj, unless you like driving from the rear seat!
              NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
              NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Gold Coast

Originally posted by MatthewP View Post

Won't fit! Straight six longer than V6. Not enough room under bonnet as is. Not to mention all the technical woes to overcome these days.
                So have to agree with Ian for a best mod. But, then, have to agree with OJ for the best decision ie upgrade.
                Life is too short. Cheers.
                99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• linds_72_99
                  • Mar 2011
                  • Melbourne

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
                  that would be insane, but there aint no way an inline 6 is going to fit in a Paj, unless you like driving from the rear seat!
                  Yep agree a very long engine. I have one and even in a falcon it fills the enormous engine bay. It's a pain to get no6 plug out as right up close to the firewall.
                  PC Challenger now
                  PA Challenger for 10 years

Comment

• Tuba
                    • Feb 2015
                    • Qld

With enough money and skill anything is possible. Could chop the firewall and shift the radiator forward to take the I6. People have spent fortunes on many vehicles never likely to be worth what they spent. Its almost a right of passage.

Just have to be keen enough.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X