• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • awill4wd
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2008
    • Pakenham, Melbourne

NS Pajero stuck in 4wd low range.

I had a bit of an issue over Easter where I was maneuvering my caravan into a caravan park grassy site that was a bit damp so I decided to slip my NS Pajero into low range to make it a bit easier.
    When I engaged 4 low I ended up with the dreaded 4 wheel lights flashing instead of solid lights. I finished positioning the van and no matter what I tried I couldn't get the Paj out of 4 low.
    I took it for a drive along the road driving with 2 wheels in the dirt to try and prevent transmission windup and still no joy in getting it out of 4 low.
    Called RACV and the onsite guy couldn't get it out of 4 low either so it ended up a tow job of both the Paj and van back on Easter Monday (today).
    Got the Paj towed to the local Mitsubishi dealer and parked it then I thought I'd just double check it out and amazingly now found the Paj was back to 2wd.
    Somehow during the tow maybe the bouncing on the truck unlocked whatever was preventing me from disengaging the Paj back to 2wd.
    Looking back I probably haven't engaged 4 low or even 4 high with centre diff locked in 2 years or maybe even more so I wondering could this perhaps be the issue?
    Alternatively does anyone in our brains trust have some thoughts on what may caused my problems?
    Regards Andrew.
    2019 MR Triton bog stock at the moment but that will change.
  • MSF
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2009
    • Sydney, Northern Beaches

You did move the Transmission lever to Neutral before shifting the Transfer lever didn't you ???

Comment

• awill4wd
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2008
      • Pakenham, Melbourne

MSF, I'm not sure when I started moving the van in low range if I was in neutral or not when I shifted to 4 low.
      Does it make a difference?
      When trying to get it back to 2wd I tried all combinations, Neutral, Park, in gear, reversing the vehicle for a distance, everything but to no avail I couldn't get it out of 4 low.
      Regards Andrew.

Comment

• MSF
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2009

Yes, when changing from one mode to another (when centre diff is locked) - it has to be done in neutral..

Ie, Changing from 2H/4H (on road) to 4HLock or 4LLock, you have to stop, put it in Nuetral, move the transfer case lever, then back into gear and take off..

If you happen to move the transfer lever without going to Neutral first, - you have to move it back to the original location, then go to Neutral, Then move the transfer lever again, then back into gear....

Comment

• JoshF
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Brisbane

I dont think you need to use neutral to go 4h to 4h locked but you do need to lift of the accelerator with speeds up to 80km allowed, 4h locked to 4low definitely needs the use of neutral to enter and exit, at least on the ns
          NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
          Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• MSF
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2009

I have found that any change where the centre diff is concerned the vehicle needs to be in neutral.

Comment

• awill4wd
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2008
              • Pakenham, Melbourne

Thanks for the detailed explanation MSF.
              I'll take the Paj to a local park over the weekend which has dirt roads and try out all the 4wd selection range just to make sure everything is engaging smoothly.
              At least if gets stuck again I can drive it to my local Mits dealer and get any problems rectified.
              Regards Andrew.

Comment

• Axis
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2011
                • Highett Vic

A friend in an NP auto recently had issues selecting 4LLC - he had never used it before and was staying in D when selecting. As soon as he did it in Neutral - Bingo.

Manual needs to be stationary with foot on clutch to select 4LLC.
                07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• TheTaipan
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2009
                  • sydney

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
                  I dont think you need to use neutral to go 4h to 4h locked but you do need to lift of the accelerator with speeds up to 80km allowed, 4h locked to 4low definitely needs the use of neutral to enter and exit, at least on the ns

My book says "up to 100KPH"

Comment

• TimTams
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Melbourne

If the lights are flashing it means the front dog clutch is still engaged. Low range is actuated by the lever so, if the lever moves, you've got it out of low range. As long as the centre diff light isn't on, you're good to keep driving should this happen again

It's good to switch between 4 and 2 fairly often to keep the actuator moving well. If it's still troublesome, might be prudent to get under and give it a lube
                    '95 LWB Pajero NJ 2.8TD Manual

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by TimTams View Post
                      Low range is actuated by the lever so, if the lever moves, you've got it out of low range.
                      Not in the NS. Gen 3 onwards, it's motor driven - there is no mechanical connection between the lever and what's happening inside the transfer case.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• TimTams
                        • Apr 2012
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                        Not in the NS. Gen 3 onwards, it's motor driven - there is no mechanical connection between the lever and what's happening inside the transfer case.
                        Oops! read the title as NJ. disregard!
                        '95 LWB Pajero NJ 2.8TD Manual

Comment

• Dion
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2010
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
                          I've often shifted from 4H to 4HLC on the fly. Always shifted to N when going to 4LLC though.
                          2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• JoshF
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
                            My book says "up to 100KPH"
                            So does mine 😎 but lifting of the gas is key
                            NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                            Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Didge
                              • Mar 2009
                              • SE Queensland, Australia

Hi Andrew,

My NS did a similar thing a while back. Here's how we fixed it.....

Cheers,
                              Daniel
                              2007 NS GLX DiD Manual.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X