• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

Another HBB motor

After having a chirp from the HBB motor for a long time that was very intermittent, it has just changed to having a slightly higher pitch at the end and is happening more often.

I've looked at part numbers and costs and decided to remove the motor and have it rewound before it totally fails. I spoke to the guys at Becker Rewind in Carrum Downs (Vic) who have done lots of these motors.

Will try to remove it at the weekend and have it in to them Mon. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. You Can Laugh has a good instructional in the Gen 3 section - top sticky.

I'll report back on the results. The NS has done approx 294k kms.

Cheers,
    James
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates
  • Axis
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Highett Vic

Car is now back together. I took apart the motor after removing the HBB Unit and as below it was pretty worn and dirty. Took my time but a pretty straightforward job.

I had the commutator replaced and the motor cleaned up. I reattached to the HBB and then bled the brakes. Brakes are working better than before.

Only issue is that when the HBB motor kicks in I am getting a vibration through the brake pedal. I will try to do the HBB air bleed process that youcanlaugh outlined in his Gen3 sticky - looks to be the same as the process in the Gen4 manual (probably should have done that from the start). Hopefully that sorts it out.

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers,
    James
    Attached Files
    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• benckj
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2017
      • Alexandra , New Zealand

To help with bleeding try locking wheels up on a gravel or slippery road. This seems to make the ABS system work and reduce vibration in petal.

BTW your motor was on its last legs. Good that you caught it and repaired before it became an issue. Hate to think how many others are blissfully driving around on the verge of failure.

Comment

• Axis
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2011
        • Highett Vic

Originally posted by benckj View Post
        To help with bleeding try locking wheels up on a gravel or slippery road. This seems to make the ABS system work and reduce vibration in petal.

BTW your motor was on its last legs. Good that you caught it and repaired before it became an issue. Hate to think how many others are blissfully driving around on the verge of failure.

Thanks Benckj, will try this today. I had read i should do this but ran out of time.

The guy I took the motor to said it's a common thing and he does quite a few of these across different manufacturers, mainly for workshops. He had a go at machining the commutator and it fell apart as there was nothing left.

Cheers,
        James

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X