• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Fibreglass whip or fibreglass raydome on bullbar

Hello,

I want to buy a Uniden aerial and mount it on my bullbar.

I have a Uniden 80 channel, 5 watt, 8060 radio.

I previously had a GME fibreglass whip but just got a new car so need a new aerial and am considering fibreglass whip again or fibreglass raydome.

What is the difference between the 2 types?

Either one, I am going to get the 2 pack, so I can run with the shorter one around the city (so no carpark issues etc), although it looks like the fibreglass whip may be better due to being 23cm shorter when the 3.0dbi is installed, which may have an advantage in our garage when parking etc.

Considering the below 2.

Dual Removable Whip Pack - BLACK (6.6/3.0 dBi Gain)

or

Elevated Feed, Fibreglass Whip, Heavy Duty Spring, Heat Shrink 6.6 dBi Gain

Welcoming any feedback.

Cheers.
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Anyone care to share a photo of their bull bar mounted 3 or 6dB aerial?

Below is a photo of my old Pajero, but I now have a Pajero sport.

This time around I am thinking of a raydome, but the 3dB sits up about 21cm higher than the older whip antenna.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jared01; 16-03-19, 10:38 AM.
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
      Valued Member
      • May 2017
      • Sydney

Figured this is an appropriate thread for this question.

Figured this is the most appropriate way to deal with the UHF cable. Anyone did it differently? Can always pull it and try again. But went shortest path to nearest hole in grille and cable tied fairly securely at grille hole so it doesn’t move much. But want to put extra abrasion resistance around the cable. Was thinking wrapping it with silicone tape for a length of 1-2 inches or so where it rubs. Any other ideas?

Also thought about cut resistance (kids with sharp implements) and a length of pvc tube or the like.. anybody done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Coleman
        • Jun 2013
        • Canberra

I drilled a hole in the back of the tube on the bullbar just below the aerial tab, heat shrinked some 10mm black corrigated to it and fed it through the hole, down through the bullbar and into the engine bay. I also painted the cut edge of the bar to stop rust.
        It looks neat and tidy, with no exposed long lengths of coax showing.
        Not sure if there are any ill effects, but have done this to the last three previous vehicles.
        2013 Glxr Pajero
        Arb bullbar installed, HID IPF driving lights. 1" Bilstein and Kings Springs suspension

Sold
        2012 PB Challenger. ARB Bullbar. Uniden UHF. ARB underbody protection. Cargo Barrier. Mitsu towbar. Lightforce 170 striker driving lights.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

Originally posted by Coleman View Post
          I drilled a hole in the back of the tube on the bullbar just below the aerial tab, heat shrinked some 10mm black corrigated to it and fed it through the hole, down through the bullbar and into the engine bay. I also painted the cut edge of the bar to stop rust.

It looks neat and tidy, with no exposed long lengths of coax showing.

Not sure if there are any ill effects, but have done this to the last three previous vehicles.
          Thanks mate I considered doing this after I saw a Hilux with same setup at the local shops, but ruled it out on the effort factor haha. Also my ARB bar was slightly different from memory, I’ll have a look tomorrow. Can’t remember exactly but I though I’d have to drill a hole at the bottom too and it would be hard to exit the cable, or that maybe it would come out and stick out the bottom and potentially get damaged on rocks / ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X