• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • selsij
    • Sep 2011
    • Orange, NSW 2800

Timing Belt time

100,000 Km and that dreaded time to pay out money and change the timing belt.
    Asked for a quote from the local Mitsu dealer and got a mumble that it was $1100 plus for the timing belt.
    So asked; Plus what?
    No answer.
    Then a phone call to say it was time to have the timing belt changed and the 105,000 service.
    Requested a quote.
    No reply.
    Phoned 3 days later and asked again.
    No reply.
    So went to the mechanic next door and he said no problems. I do lots of Tritons and some Challengers.
    Booked in and done yesterday.
    Cost.....
    $550 for Timing belt, Balance shaft belt, Fan belt and Power steering belt.
    Half the price of the dealer.

Also comment that the intake was badly clogged and they would de-clog it if they do the service.

So, Bye Bye Mitsubishi dealer .............
    PB MY 11 Base Silver manual Challenger, OEM bull bar, Narva 150's, Uniden UH7700HF, Coil Rites, Cooper LT AT3's, Hayman Reese tow bar, twin 35 AH deep cycle batteries, Red Arc ebrh, Scan Gauge II, EvaCool 35, Oztrail Awning, Cree day lights, Sierra 753S Air card.
  • BanjoPato
    • Jun 2015
    • north Coast

Think I may go the same way. This is what I found recently after a dealer service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Don

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Originally posted by BanjoPato View Post
      Think I may go the same way. This is what I found recently after a dealer service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least you know they did the tappets

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• amec
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Wamberal

Not necessarily, a synic such as myself would say the lazy mech loosened one bolt to make it look like it was removed.
        PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• Kingbrown
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Port Augusta - SA

Timing belt time for me (groan) and looking through the manual I happened to see reference to 'On-Vehicle Service' for the Balancer Belt.
          What's that all about I wondered . . . ?

The procedure entails removal of the top timing cover to align camshaft timing marks and then removal of two small access covers from the lower timing cover.
          This then gives access to the mounting and adjuster bolts for the balance belt tensioner.

Loosening of the adjuster bolts then allows the tensioner to self-adjust. Or so it says.

Reverse the procedure to reinstate everything to normal (taking care to tighten the tensioner's slot-side bolt first and then the pivot bolt).

Is anyone aware of this ever being done between belt changes on their Challenger or Triton ?

Isn't the tensioner spring sufficient to retain the correct tension on the balancer belt between belt changes ?
          Edit: It appears that the tensioner is locked in position from the time that the balance belt is installed. The tensioner spring only applies the initial tension to the belt. If the belt wears or stretches, the belt may become loose.

Additional info 19/10/2019:
          I'm informed that the engine must be at TDC during adjustment, so the top timing cover comes off to line up the timing marks.
          I looked at the access plugs and they are thin metal with integral spring clips that hold them in the lower timing cover (just below and to the side of the fan pulley). It's easy to prise out the plugs with your fingernail.
          The job would be easier if the radiator fan was removed, but not essential. Serpentine belt and aircon belt can remain in place.
          The tensioner bolt heads sit about 85mm behind the timing cover so a short extension and a 1/4 drive 10mm socket would be required.
          The long leg of a 6mm Allen Key will reach the lower socket headed bolt, or use a short 1/4 drive extension with a 6mm hex driver bit.
          Torque of bolts is a modest 23Nm.
          If you lose sight of either of the access plugs when they spring out of the timing cover . . . have a look in the bottom of the radiator cowling. Don't ask how I know this.
          Last edited by Kingbrown; 19-10-19, 10:32 AM. Reason: Balance belt tensioner doesn't adjust after initial setup.
          2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

The balancer belt is a much shorter belt so it travels a greater distance during its life and although it does not have the load of the timing belt it is common for these to come loose and break before 90,000-105,000km changes. When they do break they often cause the timing belt to break.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kingbrown
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Port Augusta - SA

Thanks for the words of 'reassurance' OJ !

With the potentially huge consequence of a loose/broken balancer belt taking out the timing belt, why isn't this job done at (say) 60,000km service ?

Re: distance travelled by the balancer belt vs timing belt, isn't the drive sprocket diameter smaller for the balancer belt than for the timing belt, thus compensating for the shorter length of the balancer belt ?
              Last edited by Kingbrown; 01-07-18, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2012
                • Port Augusta - SA

Drive sprockets as per diagram:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-01-16-49-23.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	981998

Comment

• Kingbrown
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Port Augusta - SA

Or, is the balancer drive sprocket actually bigger than the timing drive sprocket, which does make the balancer belt travel so much further (as OJ first said). . . . ?

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-01-17-16-18.jpg
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	981999

Comment

• BMN
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • Perth WA

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                    Timing belt time for me (groan) and looking through the manual I happened to see reference to 'On-Vehicle Service' for the Balancer Belt.
                    What's that all about I wondered . . . ?

The procedure entails removal of the top timing cover to align camshaft timing marks and then removal of two small access covers from the lower timing cover.
                    This then gives access to the mounting and adjuster bolts for the balance belt tensioner.

Loosening of the adjuster bolts then allows the tensioner to self-adjust. Or so it says.

Reverse the procedure to reinstate everything to normal (taking care to tighten the tensioner's slot-side bolt first and then the pivot bolt).

Is anyone aware of this ever being done between belt changes on their Challenger or Triton ?

Isn't the tensioner spring sufficient to retain the correct tension on the balancer belt between belt changes ?
                    Edit: It appears that the tensioner is locked in position from the time that the balance belt is installed. The tensioner spring only applies the initial tension to the belt. If the belt wears or stretches, the belt may become loose.

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...1/index_M1.htm
                    I think i mentioned before that i left my belt change a little late, around the 110k mark and while the timing belt appeared in good condition the balance belt was in very poor condition. I did note the balance belt adjust but based on the 100k condition wonder if adjusting it at 50-60k would put unessesary pressure on a very half worn belt ?. I doubt its done in dealer services ?. I think pre 100k belt change is highly recommended.
                    2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• Kingbrown
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Port Augusta - SA

Timing belt and balancer belt have been changed and both were found to be in very good condition (@ 100,000 km).

No sign of any cracks or splits or fraying.
                      Teeth on the belts looked like new as well.

Name:	20180712_092513.jpg
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	982058

Comment

• Tone13
                        • May 2014
                        • Victoria

Mine is due the 200,000k service so timing belt time again. Just got a rough estimate from my local mechanic (not MM) that the major service plus timing belt 'kit' would be close to $1600 all up!

Pretty sure my 105,000k service with timing belt was $1000 from MM so not sure whats going on.

Mechanic said they would be ordering the whole kit rather than just the timing belt....not sure what he means
                        2012 Challenger XLS (Blue), Factory Nudge Bar, Full Length Bushskinz, OzTec Outback Shocks with Kings Springs (+50mm), Bridgestone Dueller LT697 A/T's, Rhino Aero bars.

Comment

• BMN
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2010
                          • Perth WA

Originally posted by Tone13 View Post
                          Mine is due the 200,000k service so timing belt time again. Just got a rough estimate from my local mechanic (not MM) that the major service plus timing belt 'kit' would be close to $1600 all up!

Pretty sure my 105,000k service with timing belt was $1000 from MM so not sure whats going on.

Mechanic said they would be ordering the whole kit rather than just the timing belt....not sure what he means
                          100k is just the 2 belts (approx $200). You could just replace belts at the 200k but your putting a lot of faith in the pulleys and water pump lasting till 300k. Not sure if a full kit contains the water pump but should be replaced at the 200k. Full kit will at least
                          contain belts, idler pulleys, tensioner ...and maybe water pump.
                          2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• Tone13
                            • May 2014
                            • Victoria

Originally posted by BMN View Post
                            100k is just the 2 belts (approx $200). You could just replace belts at the 200k but your putting a lot of faith in the pulleys and water pump lasting till 300k. Not sure if a full kit contains the water pump but should be replaced at the 200k. Full kit will at least
                            contain belts, idler pulleys, tensioner ...and maybe water pump.
                            Ah, that would explain it then!

Anyone else had the 200,000k service done?

Is $1600 from an independent mechanic reasonable? How much does the stealer charge?
                            2012 Challenger XLS (Blue), Factory Nudge Bar, Full Length Bushskinz, OzTec Outback Shocks with Kings Springs (+50mm), Bridgestone Dueller LT697 A/T's, Rhino Aero bars.

Comment

• Tone13
                              • May 2014
                              • Victoria

Got a quote from the MM stealer for the 200,00km service / timing belt and they quoted $900-$1000.
                              They say it's just the belts that get replaced, didn't mention pulleys and said they'd only replace the water pump if there was something wrong with the current one.

Is this correct?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X