• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tnk05l
    • Jun 2012
    • Narrabri

Triton and Pajero

Hey guys I just got given a triton mj turbo Deisel 4d56 and It has no gearbox

Just wondering
    1... Does the Pajero petrol gearbox bolt to this motor or ??

2... And I know the engines fit but what else does suspension and diff ,, driveline Etc

Any help greatly appreciated guys
  • Tnk05l
    • Jun 2012
    • Narrabri

Anyone please

Comment

• bakerboy
      "valued 3000+ member"
      • May 2008
      • Perth

Not sure mate, but you could start by checking gearbox codes with the tech thread to see if they match, then go to a wreckers and compare bellhousings and output shafts etc?

If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• gen1
        • Nov 2012
        • Melbourne

from what I've learnt on my quest for a pajero gearbox, the triton and pajero gearboxes are not interchangeable despite having the same engines.
        2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, FrontRunner rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension

Comment

• kingdavey
          • Jun 2010
          • Warrnambool

Though I haven't done it, but have replaced clutches on both vehicles, I'm thinking they might interchange without too much effort. In fact the 4D56 has the same bellhousing pattern as the 2.6 petrol, so that might be an option as well?

Comment

• Tnk05l
            • Jun 2012
            • Narrabri

Cheers also I'm pretty sure the engines etc convert over hey

Comment

• Tnk05l
              • Jun 2012
              • Narrabri

Guys ?

Comment

• gen1
                • Nov 2012
                • Melbourne

the diesel and 4 cylinder engines have the same bolt pattern on the pajero at least. On the first generation Paj the diesel and 4cyl petrol engines have the same gearbox. But, I was advised time and time again that a pajero gearbox will not fit into a triton. Not sure why to be honest. I had asked often as I could get a triton gearbox without a problem at the time but my mechanic who works on these cars a lot, and the wrecker I was trying to find a gearbox through insisted there was enough differences in the gearbox casing to ensure they wouldn't fit. I think from memory one of the differences was some tritons had a cable clutch whereas all Pajeros were hydraulic with the slave cylinder mounted on the opposite side.
                2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, FrontRunner rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension

Comment

• Tnk05l
                  • Jun 2012
                  • Narrabri

Ok so the idea is pull engine etc out of mj triton and put in nc Pajero petrol using petrol Pajero gearbox ! Your saying that should work but if I was to try and fit Pajero box to triton no go ?

Comment

• Bogger
                    Unregistered as asked
                    • May 2011

Not sure on the triton bit but a 4d56 gearbox and a 6G72 gearbox have different input shafts. I know some one who fitted a petrol box to diesel but he had to make up his own bell housing

Comment

• gen1
                      • Nov 2012
                      • Melbourne

Yeah I think that sounds about right. A triton engine should go into a pajero ok and should bolt up to the pajero gearbox. Just not the other way around I've been told!

Comment

• Sofoklaki
                        • May 2013
                        • Brisbane

Hi there fellas , in answer to your questions
                        1 yes a Pajero box and transfer does fit into a triton, however, because the triton gearbox doesn't have a neutral between hi and low when you put it into low the upper rubber gromit that goes half way up the stick with the ribs fights the low range stick and it always pops out. If you take the upper rubber gromit (there's 2) and leave the lower flat one in then no problemo, it works like a champion. I have put the later mj triton diff which is huge by comparison to the earlier and I tail shaft fits no problem. Just look for the diff codes which describes the ratio.

2 the early gear box and transfer from a 4d56 and a 4g54 are identical.
                        The spline from the import models, you see them around, are different someone told me so watch that, but in the Australian models the same.
                        The v6 does not go also the 4 cyl models have hydraulic clutch where as the v6 has cable
                        I think the code from under the bonnet is 415 which describes the gearbox and transfer.
                        Don't quote me on that 415 number I'm pretty sure it's right but not 100% without going out and looking. I know what ever the numbers are they are the same because I just wrecked an 88 Pajero 4g54 petrol and the gearbox code is the same as in my turbo Pajero and my diesel triton that I'm about to do a build on. If you want pics of the transfer and gearbox let me know.

People take the piss out of mitsies but most things in the drive lines of early Pajero and triton are pretty well interchangeable Mitsubishi by comparison is a smaller factory and they used a lot of the same gear in their 4wds.
                        Washer bottles, radiators, just watch the difference of the cores in the diesel models, a turbo radiator is thicker than a std diesel radiator I've put a turbo pajero radiator on my triton. It went straight in. Diffs, torsion bars I would imagine would bolt straight in, the Pajero is a leaf rear 4wd. It all fits the triton

Right now your glad you don't own a Nissan. They vary so much that's it's impossible to find what you want at a wrecker.
                        Last edited by Sofoklaki; 06-05-13, 07:19 AM. Reason: Add more info
                        Sofocles Sof for short...
                        I like to think that I can get out of trouble faster than I get into it. That is very wishful thinking,but I'm going with it...
                        "99 hilux rocket ship with a. 3rz
                        "88 Pajero turbo 4d56
                        "88 triton 4x4 soon to be intercooler turbo 4d56

Comment

• Tnk05l
                          • Jun 2012
                          • Narrabri

Hi mate thanks yea ! So your talk tells me a lot I want to hear haha ! So just to clarify I've got an 1986 Pajero 4g54 manual ...and a 4d56 mj triton ! I want to put the triton wiring and 4d56 engine into my psjerowith my 1986 Pajero manual gearbox that's possible yes and thanks if can answer that !also wiring problems or the wiring from petrol to Deisel anything hard I need to note cheers

Comment

• Tnk05l
                            • Jun 2012
                            • Narrabri

Ok everyone this is final the question is will a mj triton 4d56 t bolt into my 2.6 petrol nc 1986 pajero using pajero petrol gearbox ? Please anyone the mj is 1994 the pajero is 1986 both are hydraulic clutch please a few replies to help decide If I get the triton or not instead of wasting money thanks

Comment

• bakerboy
                              "valued 3000+ member"
                              • May 2008
                              • Perth

Pretty certain the paj will run the KM145 gearbox and the triton is possibly the V5M21, but you should look at the transaxle plate on the radiator suport or firewall to check
                              If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X