• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juano86
    • Aug 2015
    • Brisbane QLD

digging up an old thread...
    Has anyone considered the 40lt foot well tank that Boab make (Link below). did a measure up last night and will fit nicely with seats in. I tend to remove the rears for longer trips anyhow. this tank appeals to me because it would be easily removable if not in use. Anyone fitted one to their PB/PC? I know its an expensive option, but I don't have a lot of room for jerry's etc.
    2011 PB Challenger XLS Auto: 2" Lift, ECB Bullbar, Sliders, bushskinz, EGR Mod, Kumho MT51's 265/70/R17, Dual Batteries, AirTec Snorkel, Diff Breathers, Black Widow Drawers, 40lt Engel, Boab 40lt Water Tank & Pump, HID Spotties, UHF etc.

Comment

• wil55n
      • Mar 2014
      • Sydney

I have that exact footwell tank and it fits no problems.
      I recommend you carry a spare water jerry with spout for long trips so that you can pour more water in easily as there won't always be a hose around!

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

These vertical 42 litre tanks will fit between the rear seat and most cargo barriers.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ent
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2014
          • Tasmania

I went for the Boab triangular tank and fits like it is designed for the vehicle. It takes advantage of the sloping rear seat. Having gone that way I am still tempted by the proposed setup and if an "emergency" rear passenger can fit in. I am rather dreading the tank "slap" with solid tanks once I sort out my design.
          2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• juano86
            • Aug 2015
            • Brisbane QLD

I had a look at that OJ, I think that would be a more permanent option, I occasionally take adults in the back and legroom is essential, I already have inverter etc mounted to the cargo barrier too, so would have to relocate everything and taking it out when not in use might be a pain in the...
            I might proceed with the footwell option, thank you wil55n for the reassurance haha. I always carry a 10lt and 5lt jerry in back up to the regular 20lt, but trying to space-save.
            2011 PB Challenger XLS Auto: 2" Lift, ECB Bullbar, Sliders, bushskinz, EGR Mod, Kumho MT51's 265/70/R17, Dual Batteries, AirTec Snorkel, Diff Breathers, Black Widow Drawers, 40lt Engel, Boab 40lt Water Tank & Pump, HID Spotties, UHF etc.

Comment

• juano86
              • Aug 2015
              • Brisbane QLD

40lt foot well Boab tank and pump ordered yesterday. ill post photos of the install once its delivered and plumbed in.

Comment

• gumbs
                • Jul 2015
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by juano86 View Post
                40lt foot well Boab tank and pump ordered yesterday. ill post photos of the install once its delivered and plumbed in.
                Thread dig time. How did it fit? I'm looking for options and I was oringally planning to put something behind the back seat but I've found that the camp chairs fit perfectly between the draws and the seat so now I'm looking at other options. Which allow me to keep the big heavy camp chairs in the cab instead of having to buy smaller and lighter ones to throw on the roof.

Tossing up between a boab or front runner footwell tank or going all out and fitting up a tow hitch mounted carrier to fit 3 x 20l. Kids are currently 4 & 2 so I figure I've got atleast 4 years before lack of leg room becomes an issue.

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by gumbs View Post
                  Thread dig time. How did it fit? I'm looking for options and I was oringally planning to put something behind the back seat but I've found that the camp chairs fit perfectly between the draws and the seat so now I'm looking at other options. Which allow me to keep the big heavy camp chairs in the cab instead of having to buy smaller and lighter ones to throw on the roof.

Tossing up between a boab or front runner footwell tank or going all out and fitting up a tow hitch mounted carrier to fit 3 x 20l. Kids are currently 4 & 2 so I figure I've got atleast 4 years before lack of leg room becomes an issue.
                  Personally, I think water should be as low as possible, and preferably between the axles. My NT came with a water tank in the rear footwell (under a built-in storage unit), so while the weight is low, it is hanging behind the rear axle. With storage system, water tank and aux fuel tank all behind the rear axle that's a significant amount of weight swinging like a pendulum out there for my rear suspension to try to control.

While you may eventually have no choice other than to do the tow mount thing, I would advise to keep the weight low and forward while you can. Fortunately, live axle suspension geometry should make it easier for you to find a rear suspension solution capable of adequate control of all that water hanging behind the rear bumper (when the time comes).
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Footwell tanks seem like a good idea especially if you do not need the rear seat footwell space for passengers, but at $200 to $250 for 40 litres it is not cheap storage.

I am not even sure that these off the shelf tanks will fit in the Challenger.

Most people carry too much water and are wasteful when using it.

How many days water do you really need to carry?
                    How many litres per day are you allowing?
                    Are you using the same water supply for drinking and washing?

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• gumbs
                      • Jul 2015
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                      Personally, I think water should be as low as possible, and preferably between the axles. My NT came with a water tank in the rear footwell (under a built-in storage unit), so while the weight is low, it is hanging behind the rear axle. With storage system, water tank and aux fuel tank all behind the rear axle that's a significant amount of weight swinging like a pendulum out there for my rear suspension to try to control.

While you may eventually have no choice other than to do the tow mount thing, I would advise to keep the weight low and forward while you can. Fortunately, live axle suspension geometry should make it easier for you to find a rear suspension solution capable of adequate control of all that water hanging behind the rear bumper (when the time comes).
                      Center of the vehicle is always preferable, but at the same time its likely to be no worse than a dual rear wheel carrier and plenty of people get away with them. The rear over hang on a challenger is also fairly short in comparison to a dual cab which you regularly see with a canopy and twin spares hanging off the back.

I'm expecting the total weight will end up around the 100kg mark once I add a frame, pivot, 40kgs of water, 16kgs of diesel, max trax and whatever I end up hanging off it. Not light by any stretch, but nothing crazy and a lot safer than having it up on the roof.

The loss of interior space isn't a major concern at this point and I'll probably end up having to buy something bigger, or get a camper trailer once the kids get bigger. But I'm abit concerned about how it will fit and the noise impact. It also doesn't do anything about fuel storage which a rear mounted rack would.

OJ

Looking at bulk storage for 20L minimum 40L preferable to cover up to 3 days, I rarely go to areas where we couldn't get fresh water. Bulk storage would be used for drinking, cooking and washing etc.
                      I normally carry an additional 10L drinking jerry and 4 x 1L bottles plus however many frozen 600ml bottles fit in the 60L engel combi to fill any spare space.

I expect I could get away with a single 20L jerry can and refill more regularly, or I might be able to fit 2 x 20L jerrys in the space where the third rear seat fits, but then that puts the kids within hitting distance of each other. The Boab tank looks like an easy option (assuming it fits) and from googling they seem to sell easily second hand so if it isn't for us I should be able to get rid of it.
                      Last edited by gumbs; 09-04-19, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Onyx
                        • Mar 2015
                        • ACT

I have a 50L Frontrunner tank behind the rear seat and infront.of.my ORS draws. It fits snuggly between the wheel arches as if it was made for it.
                        MY14 PC Manual - XROX bar, Runva 11XP winch, OME suspension, Basha plates, diff breathers extended, MM tow bar, Safari snorkel, Triton GLX-R wheels and Toyo OPATII 265/65 R17, OEM wheels and Hankook Dynapro MT 265/75 R16 for fun.

Comment

• gumbs
                          • Jul 2015
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Onyx View Post
                          I have a 50L Frontrunner tank behind the rear seat and infront.of.my ORS draws. It fits snuggly between the wheel arches as if it was made for it.
                          Sadly I have other plans for this space (and would probably live with 2x jerrys in there if I went that way). I'm mainly interested in the footwell type tanks.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

• russ1
                            • Feb 2011
                            • adelaide

Sadly I have other plans for this space (and would probably live with 2x jerrys in there if I went that way). I'm mainly interested in the footwell type tanks.

Thanks anyway.
                            Sounds like you are not looking at carrying too much water. Stating the obvious, why not just throw several 10 litre casks in all the gaps? No cleaning tanks etc, and its drinking quality guaranteed. At $4 a cask max..

Comment

• gumbs
                              • Jul 2015
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by russ1 View Post
                              Sounds like you are not looking at carrying too much water. Stating the obvious, why not just throw several 10 litre casks in all the gaps? No cleaning tanks etc, and its drinking quality guaranteed. At $4 a cask max..
                              The reason I can get away with so little water storage is that I'm unlikely to be far from drinking water and plan to restock as required. So for this reason casks don't really work.

As a cheap solution I've pulled out the single rear seat, and fitted in a false floor, to protect everything from the studs the seat mounts to (why mustMitsubishi use studs and not bolts?)

This gives a space for the battery and two 20L jerry cans. I plan to run a couple of cam buckle straps around the whole thing and under the two seat hooks in the floor to secure it.

Comment

• PeePee
                                Valued Member
                                • Oct 2012
                                • Brisbane

The reason I can get away with so little water storage is that I'm unlikely to be far from drinking water and plan to restock as required. So for this reason casks don't really work.

As a cheap solution I've pulled out the single rear seat, and fitted in a false floor, to protect everything from the studs the seat mounts to (why mustMitsubishi use studs and not bolts?)

This gives a space for the battery and two 20L jerry cans. I plan to run a couple of cam buckle straps around the whole thing and under the two seat hooks in the floor to secure it.
                                I can you have slammed the seat belt in the door as well.
                                MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X