• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Badman60
    • Sep 2010
    • Gold Coast

Tachometer/Tacho not working

Hey all.

Does anyone know where the tacho on a NF Diesel gets its input from? I've been informed that all diesels have the input coming from the alternator.

I've taken out the cluster and cleaned all the connections, I also took the loom out of the side of the alternator and cleaned that up too, but still no tacho...

When it first started to play up, the tacho would just be really jumpy, still picking up the correct rev, but jumping back and foward about 1000rpms either side of the correct rev reading. This went on for a few weeks but eventually the tacho just stopped working.

If anyone could help out with this one would be much appreciated, has got me buggered. Cheers.
    Last edited by Badman60; 16-03-11, 06:21 PM. Reason: incorrect model entered, keep thinking it's an NG...
    2.5L of inducted fury - Go the Mighty Paj!

• boganracing
    • Aug 2010
    • regents park

yes my tacho is doing the same thing i would also like to know how to fix it

Comment

• Badman60
      • Sep 2010
      • Gold Coast

bump... anyone?

Comment

• Badman60
        • Sep 2010
        • Gold Coast

Success!

I finally managed to get the tacho sorted!

The sensor/revolution input is in the side of the injection pump, on the engine side. There is 2 wires going into this and mine had crimped joints, which one of had broken/frayed away.

I pulled both the wires out of the joins so I could get to them a bit easier. There is bugger all wire coming from the sensor to these joins, so it made it a bit hard to get my hands in there to strip back the wire back a bit.

Managed to get it sorted thou, cut the old frayed wire end off, stripped back a bit of the insulation, re-crimped the end back on, plugged them both back in, and away she revved..

The wires coming from the sensor were black and brown (I think, couldn't tell %100 if it was brown, both wires are covered by insulation/sleeve), these meet up to the crimped joints which then turn into a black and white wire. Black-black, brown-white.

Comment

• scorpion 42
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2011
          • London. uk

Tachometer/tacho not working.

g,onya Badman60, but you should have soldered then together, that way, it wouldn't be happening again, in a hurry, well done, for " PERCY'S " sake, perseverance

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X