• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • papadapang
    • Sep 2009

1990 2.5 diesel - replacement motor?

Hi guys

I have a dilemma - I thought someone here may be able to help with advice/ideas. Or at least sympathy.

I live on a tiny island in the NT and use my formally beloved 1990 NG model 2.5L turbo diesel pajero to drop my boat in and out - since arriving here I only drive about 1000km in a year, rarely out of 3rd gear. Recently, driving to the ramp the timing belt went...urgh. Hoping no damage to the motor had occurred, the mechanic here ordered in a new timing belt kit but once fitted, the motor runs like an absolute dog, clanking and banging away. He says the engine is shot.

So...what are my options for replacement motors? Given the very limited use it gets, I want to know the absolute cheapest way I can get this car running again, and what that cost might be. What can I expect to pay for an import, or are there any cheaper options (from other mitsubishis?) for engines I might find?

Also how many hours labour would swapping engines generally take a mechanic?

The car itself is in great condition with a very cushy history, zero rust and has run beautifully in the four years I've had it. It seems criminal to tow the thing to the dump but if replacing the engine costs too much, that may be what I'm faced with. Exorbidant barge fees to/from my community mean if it's not running, it won't even be worth shipping to the mainland (ie Darwin) for use for parts.

Thanks for any help you can offer
    Anthony
  • ziggy
    • Feb 2008

Pull the tappet cover off and inspect it yourself. The cam runs on a sort of rocker arrangement , and generally (from heresay, not experience sorry) those rockers take the damage first before the valves.

Comment

• robbi
      • Oct 2007
      • hervey bay ,qld.

check the cam caps
      98 intercooled turbo diesel , 4X hella spotties , alinco dr 635t uhf radio , roof mounted dvd , wish list is long ... 1st up its going to be new 16x7-,, STAMPEDE WHEELS CSA with some BF goodrich thongs ,

Comment

• Bernoulli
        • Jun 2007
        • Oregon, USA

Give Gavin a call. He'll tell you what to look for so you can figure out what you need.
        Call Gavin:
        Gavin Russell.
        Dragon Engineering pty ltd.
        22 Lundberg Drive
        Murwillumbah
        NSW 2484.

ph- (02)66 721632
        mob- 0409 001 493
        89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

Comment

• papadapang
          • Sep 2009

Thanks

Hi guys

Just wanted to say thank you to those who replied to my call for help last September. I did eventually get the time to open up the valve cover, and sure enough the mechanic had somehow not seen two shattered rocker arms!

$60 for replacements and considerable 'learning through experience' later, along with some excellent and generous advice from Gavin, the Pajero is cruising again, much to the horror of the chastened mechanic who advised it needed a whole new engine!

Cheers
          Anthony

Comment

• Mitsi Lover
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by papadapang View Post
            Hi guys

Just wanted to say thank you to those who replied to my call for help last September. I did eventually get the time to open up the valve cover, and sure enough the mechanic had somehow not seen two shattered rocker arms!

$60 for replacements and considerable 'learning through experience' later, along with some excellent and generous advice from Gavin, the Pajero is cruising again, much to the horror of the chastened mechanic who advised it needed a whole new engine!

Cheers
            Anthony
            An excellent example of what any experienced mechanic will tell you.
            My last boss told me to pull the motor out of a Case 1412 tractor because it " had a broken crankshaft " !!!!!!!!

I asked him how he knew, he said the motors were prone to it. I suggested pulling the head off first to see if it could be something else. No No just pull the motor out and rebuild it.
            Pulling the motor out of a Case involves dismantling the tractor.

Turned out to be a blown head gasket.

My golden rule with mechanical problems :- do the cheapest fix first.
            The customer will always thank you.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X