• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Resi Downlight dimmer question

Any sparkies on here can clarify something for me?

Got a sparky booked to replace old downlights.

I sourced the lights and the website says use trailing edge dimmers only. Pretty sure the supplier told me that over the phone too.

But then I see this on the transformer.

What gives? My understanding is that leading edge dimmers are cheaper so would prefer that if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • tomwithannl
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Maria Coast Tasmania.

I am not a sparky BUT leading edge dimmers MAY make a noise and are NOT as smooth on the dimming but will probably work in your situation.
    Trailing edge WILL work better for sure
    Many manufacturers say that something won't work when it will but not very effectively.
    Hope that helps

Tom
    1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
    1953 Morris Minor ute
    1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
    2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
      Valued Member
      • May 2017
      • Sydney

Originally posted by tomwithannl View Post
      I am not a sparky BUT leading edge dimmers MAY make a noise and are NOT as smooth on the dimming but will probably work in your situation.

Trailing edge WILL work better for sure

Many manufacturers say that something won't work when it will but not very effectively.

Hope that helps

Tom
      Thanks mate I appreciate your input. I’ll do a price comparison and if it’s not that much more for trailing edge then I’ll go them because it would be nice to get a nice smooth dim. One of the existing dimmers (late 80s) would be a leading edge and I can hear it buzzing at various frequencies as you turn it so that’s either the noise you’re talking about or a fire hazard haha. They’ll be coming out later this week. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X