X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laidlaym
    • Feb 2008

GPS Receiver for W10 Tablet

I am looking for a GPS receiver suited to my MS Surface 3 running Windows 10 and Microsoft Maps.

Any suggestions? Bluetooth or USB ok.
    Mark in Research
    NM GLX Manual 4M41 with clean ashtray and 2 DIN ICE
  • DrewXT
    • Mar 2014
    • Melbourne

Originally posted by laidlaym View Post
    I am looking for a GPS receiver suited to my MS Surface 3 running Windows 10 and Microsoft Maps.

Bad Elf always gets good reviews

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• GOSSAMER
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • doncaster east vic

I just bought one of these (see below) we are doing a competition this weekend with it so i can give a proper offroad review but driving around town with it it's definitely quicker to pick up signal than my old one. Downloading the driver was a bit of effort but not too hard.
      Back from the Dark side
      NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• GOSSAMER
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • doncaster east vic

Can happily recommend the above, it worked a treat
        Back from the Dark side
        NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by laidlaym View Post

I was under the impression that the surface 3 LTE model has a gps...? only a thought though..
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
            I was under the impression that the surface 3 LTE model has a gps...? only a thought though..
            That's Surface 3; in guessing the OP has the Surface Pro 3, which doesn't have an LTE option.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              That's Surface 3; in guessing the OP has the Surface Pro 3, which doesn't have an LTE option.
              Thanks. I am toying with the idea of buying a gps enablled tablet to run Hema maps and Oziexplorer software to have the gps co-ordinates tracking my progress. Any suggestions on a cheapish tablet as I have a 12 inch ASUS laptop but the keyboard is a pain..?

cheers

ps...It will basically only be used ofr mapping and maybe connect my home computers wi-fi at times..
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

A few years back I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad 8 to use for OziExplorer in the car. I bought this model because it was 8 inch ,and one of the few Windows tablets that I could find with inbuilt NextG capability.

Don't bother with that one.

When I went to Telstra and signed up for a SIM for the Lenovo they gave me an 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Much better suited to running OziExplorer in the Pajero, although the Android version doesn't have all the features of the Windows version.

The SIM is still in the Lenovo - if I want internet on the Samsung I use my phone as a WiFi hotspot (which is now turned on automatically when Bluetooth connects to the Android head unit in the dash).

I guess I'm saying to evaluate carefully if you really need windows, or if an android device will suffice - much easier and cheaper to find with SIM & GPS.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• stevemc181
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • Thornlie/Perth

I am using a GlobalSat BU-353-S4 USB GPS Receiver on a surface pro 4. Works great and it' good to be able to run the full PC version of Ozi rather than just a tablet version for plotting out routes etc. I also use a Nexus 7 dash mounted tablet for navigation with Ozi Android.
                  2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                  3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Quinno
                    • May 2008

Do the options above, the Columbus V800 and GlobalSat BU-353-S4, communicate with the PC/Tablet via the USB? Or can the USB be connected to 12V socket and then the GPS send signal to the PC/Tablet via WiFi or Blue Tooth?
                    2010 PB Challenger. Kings KCRR23 and 55H, sliders, front bar, warn winch, light force HID, 90L aux tank donated from NH Paj.

1992 NH GLX, 2.5L TD. Tough Dog lift 2", Alpine Engineering IFS mod kit, DieselGas, Piranha dual battery, ARB bar with Warn M8000, Outlander roof rack & boat rollers, 10ft tinny with 6hp, GME TX4000 UHF & Electophone SSB CB, custom fridge slide & false floor, window tint & Airflow snorkel.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X