• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RyanR
    • Sep 2018
    • Sydney

Wiring from engine bay into cabin --NX

Hi all,

I'm struggling to find a good spot to run some wires from the engine bay into the cabin on my NX without compromising the integrity of the water proofing.

Right now I'm installing Couplertec (Yes, I'm a believer ) which requires 4 decent sized wires (to fit patches to L&R pillar, L&R sides of booth).
    Adding it to the main wire loom (left side picture) is too tight.
    Only option is grommet on right side in the picture which will work.

BUT, further down the line I'd like large amps power to the 3rd seat row well (2nd battery and compressor).
    All of it won't fit.....
    Had a look to run these outside but so far haven't found a satisfying option.

Oh, almost forgot; also have to get antenna and power for UHF and Spotties wiring into cabin

Anyone has done this/Good tips?
    Pictures very welcome.

Cheers
    Attached Files
    My introduction:
    https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=62295
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

I cut a slot in that large rubber boot for the radio aerial lead and then sealed it with a bit of silicone.
    Last edited by Ian H; 05-12-18, 02:51 PM.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Sydney

I've run a number of small gauge wires through that boot along with the UHF antenna. I've decided to run relays so that there is no need to carry any current with those wires.

Not sure what you're going to do about the Couplertec wires (personally I'm not too worried given modern manufacturing by drowning the skeleton in hot gal). That boot has a bit of room though.

The 2nd battery in the rear tray is connected via a 50sq.mm cable (welding wire) run exterior to the cabin.

I've detailed all with pics in my build thread. Link in my sig. below.
      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

You can fit a lot of wires into that rubber boot, that is my preferred method of entry.

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• RyanR
          • Sep 2018
          • Sydney

Many thanks, guys!

I think I'll try to run as much as I can through the boot, leave the grommet as back-up.
          Probably the more amps wires outside.

I'll have another look at your builds (which look great)
          My introduction:

Comment

• RyanR
            • Sep 2018
            • Sydney

.....and Pajs, are you sure these cars been "hot gal'd "?
            And excuse my ignorance but you mean galvanised?
            My introduction:

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2013
              • Sydney

That is what I meant. IIRC there was a link to a movie of the build of the Paj in the Japanese factory and in that movie the monocoque goes for a swim in a hot bath of anti corrosion fluid.
              NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• RyanR
                • Sep 2018
                • Sydney

Huh.....well..... so much for transferring Couplertec from my old car and buy new pads.....
                Did wonder why nobody is talking about rust protection )

Thanks mate, interesting to know
                My introduction:

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Sydney

Just found the link to the thread:

The link to the movies is in the thread, particularly #3.

Build Thread

Comment

• sharkcaver
                    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                    • May 2009
                    • Perth

It's just a primer/undercoat bath. Its not hot dip galvanising.
                    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Sydney

Yeah I thought about what I said is misleading or just plain wrong. It is however an anti corrosion layer.

Having said that I have gone and sprayed the Milspec wax underneath and intend to get back to finishing the job by spraying inside the "rails" properly.

Build Thread

Comment

• pronvit
                        • Mar 2019
                        • New Zealand

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                        You can fit a lot of wires into that rubber boot, that is my preferred method of entry.

Where does it come out on the inside? What will I need to remove to get access to it?
                        2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

2006 LR Discovery 3 TDV6.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Sydney

Top of the passenger footwell. Reasonably easy access you may need to pull the carpet down a bit.

Build Thread

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                            Valued Member
                            • May 2017
                            • Sydney

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                            Hey mate do you have to take the boot off or do you just poke the new wire up it and hope it turns the corner to get through the firewall? I’ve gotta install an aerial soon.

Comment

• pronvit
                              • Mar 2019
                              • New Zealand

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                              Top of the passenger footwell. Reasonably easy access you may need to pull the carpet down a bit.
                              Oh I think I’ve seen it then, thanks.

Although I’m thinking about using that hole in the floor on the right side - easier and the switches and other stuff I need will be on the right anyway.
                              2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

2006 LR Discovery 3 TDV6.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X