• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peebee
    • Jan 2011
    • South Fremantle

What is that noise?

After 90,000 kms, I'm now looking at changing my 2002 XS PA Challenger for a PB and so went for brief test drive in a XLS at the weekend. The car ticks all my boxes - right size, diesel, pretty comfortable, not too trucklike in handling etc - but I was disappointed at the noise levels. There was, what seemed to be, induction roar on acceleration but, even worse, there was an awful rattling noise as the turbo slowed down after acceleration. I mentioned it to the salesman but he didn't know, or want to say, much about it. Can those who have the MY 11 tell me if their cars make similar noises. I don't know if I could live longterm with it and it could be a deal breaker for me. Look forward to hearing any responses to my first post.
  • Norm Perth
    • Mar 2011
    • Perth

What noise? Testdrive another one.
    BLACK My11 Challenger Manual LS, MM Steel bar with driving/fog lights, reverse sensors, tint, MM tow bar

Comment

• stig
      • Dec 2010
      • NSW

Ours sounds like a tractor, gets really clattery at around 3000rpm under slight acceleration. But i was aware that the 2.5 Mitsu engine was particularly noisy under acceleration before we bought it. It's quiet when cruising though, and the "whistle" on turbo overrun is pretty cool.

Must say though that the diesel in our previous vehicle (Dodge Nitro, don't laugh) was a generation ahead as far as smoothness, power delivery and torque (460nm) are concerned.

An old local diesel mechanic did tell me years ago that the noiser and more clattery a diesel is, the better its health is!! Dunno if this applies to modern CRDs though!!
      Last edited by stig; 05-04-11, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• laurie27
        • Jan 2011
        • Blue Mountains

Originally posted by Peebee View Post
        After 90,000 kms, I'm now looking at changing my 2002 XS PA Challenger for a PB and so went for brief test drive in a XLS at the weekend. The car ticks all my boxes - right size, diesel, pretty comfortable, not too trucklike in handling etc - but I was disappointed at the noise levels. There was, what seemed to be, induction roar on acceleration but, even worse, there was an awful rattling noise as the turbo slowed down after acceleration. I mentioned it to the salesman but he didn't know, or want to say, much about it. Can those who have the MY 11 tell me if their cars make similar noises. I don't know if I could live longterm with it and it could be a deal breaker for me. Look forward to hearing any responses to my first post.
        Maybe a "brief" test drive is half the problem.
        The dealer should give you a desent drive to let it warm up, yes mine is noisy cold, noisy on take off but more than quite enough when up & going.

Go find a dealer that has a demo & take it for an hour or so.

Laurie
        2010 Black LS Auto Challenger

Comment

• 900canoes
          Valued Member
          • May 2008
          • FNQ

Did you drive it in the wet in AWD mode? Did you try a dirt track in both 4wd modes? Did you get unstuck using the diff locker?
          Enjoy the experience of driving one of the best mid-size 4wds on the market and forget about the noises. It aint a Lexus nor is it a tractor.
          2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• BitsRmissin
            • Dec 2009

Have you owned a diesel before? Diesels are like that, some more than others but generally like that. You will soon get use to it.
            My biggest complaint was the slow steering and the lack of power down low. I got use to the slow steering but fix the power with a chip.
            Pajero Dakar, Pajero Sport, Montero Sport, Challenger

Comment

• Peebee
              • Jan 2011
              • South Fremantle

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've driven diesels before, both in 4wd and cars here and in Europe, and do prefer the way they drive to petrol motors. I know they are generally noisier but the Challenger seems to be a level above. The biggest concern was the harsh rattling noise that seemed to come from the turbo (and it wasn't the "cool" whistle which I also don't mind). The car in question has since been sold, so someone was happy enough with it. I'll have to do what everyone advises and try some others over longer distances before deciding. Thanks again.

Comment

• greig
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2010
                • kanwal

Originally posted by Peebee View Post
                Thanks everyone for your responses. I've driven diesels before, both in 4wd and cars here and in Europe, and do prefer the way they drive to petrol motors. I know they are generally noisier but the Challenger seems to be a level above. The biggest concern was the harsh rattling noise that seemed to come from the turbo (and it wasn't the "cool" whistle which I also don't mind). The car in question has since been sold, so someone was happy enough with it. I'll have to do what everyone advises and try some others over longer distances before deciding. Thanks again.

One reason why I bought a manual.....the autos are a lot noisier, cause they always seem to be revving, where as the manual can be driven "normally" at a lot lower revs ( if you know what I mean )

Harsh rattly noise from the turbo ?? must have been a one off, never heard that before ??

Comment

• momo
                  • Jun 2010
                  • Perth

Regarding the 'roar' on acceleration, it may have been the viscous engine fan. Mine comes on at night on the freeway so it is being replaced under warranty in the hope that the bi-metal switch inside is triggering too early.

Comment

• Mooky
                    • Jun 2010
                    • Brisbane

My manual is load when cold but is ok when she warms up. I was in my mates patrol on the weekend and have to say I thought it was far noiser than the challenger.

I might be biased to.

Mark

Comment

• stig
                      • Dec 2010
                      • NSW

Had the ECU update done last week, didn't think it made much difference at first but definately doesn't roar like it used to under acceleration, even with AC going full bore. Seems to be holding top gear longer too when climbing hills. Also less clattery during the "Maccas drive through" test (the best place to listen for wayward engine noises!!). Economy seems to be that same.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X