• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Weird Issue

This is a weird one. I took my wife's ZJ Outlander to the local dealer for a factory recall on the rear brakes. The dealer drove me home after I delivered the car to them. When they had finished the recall, they returned the car to our home (good service form this dealer). As the lady drove the car into the driveway, i noted that the headlights were on. We don't normally drive with the headlights on in bright clear daylight, but I thought that the lady must have turned them on.

When I went to put the car into the shed, I noted that the lights came on with the ignition switch. I went to turn them off, but the light switch in the steering column was already in the OFF position. I tried to see if high beam worked. It worked when I pulled the lever back towards me (headlight flasher) but they would not stay on.

I took the car straight back to the dealer and told them what was wrong. "Never had that problem before" was the predictable reply. Now, they had worked on the rear brakes - I saw them doing something there and it was all mechanical. Nothing to do with electrics in the front of the car. Anyway, they fixed it by pulling the travelling fuse (whatever that is) for 30 seconds and then put it back in. All good now. I cannot see how doing mechanical work on the rear of the car can have any effect on the headlights at the front. I don't know what else was or was not working, but the rest of the car seemed to work OK.

I got the mechanic to show me what he had done lest it happen to me again. He showed me that he had pulled a large yellow fuse (30A I think) from the centre of the underbonnet fuse box. I think it is a fusible link actually.

Questions:
    1 What is a Travelling Fuse?
    2 WHat do this do?
    3 Has anyone here had a similar problem?

I would be interested to hear other's comments on this oddity.
  • Kingbrown
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Port Augusta - SA

I've seen reference to "Dark Current Fuses", which I interpret as fuses for particular circuits that will drain the battery while the vehicle is in transit/storage.

A pre-delivery checklist references such fuses and requires their insertion as part of getting the vehicle ready for the customer.
    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Kingbrown
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Port Augusta - SA

Here's what I was referring to:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-02-16-29-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	982002

Comment

• Old Paj
        Pajero Club Life Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Heathcote, Vic

Weird Issue

Nothing would surprise me with the electrics in the newer vehicles.

In my Gen 3 Paj, if the hazard light fuse blows, I noted that as well as not having any indicators, I also have the water in fuel light and the check engine lights come on also. Replace fuse all good.
        NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

KingBrown: I doubt that it is a dark fuse issue because the car is 5.5 years old and I think they would have sorted transport issues by now.I am looking through a CD W/S manual I have for the car but the Asian/Russian/Satanistic way of thinking vastly differs from mine. The wiring diagrams on the latest Mitsubishi are something to behold. Eventually, when I get my mind in the right way of thinking, it is relatively simple, but until I hit the right spot, it is a maze... I have seen some possible connection to the ABS though, and this may be where the error was induced? I will keep looking.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Well, I looked at the car itself again, and also the owners handbook. I wasn't expecting much from the handbook, but it lists the fuses etc in there. The fuse the mechanic indicated to me was, as far as I could see, called IOD. Not a clue as to what IOD is. All the other fuses had real uses eg radiator fan or L headlight etc, but this circuit is listed as IOD.

Anyone got any ideas as to what IOD is?

Comment

• Scouter1
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2013
              • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by erad View Post
              Anyone got any ideas as to what IOD is?
              IOD stands for ignition off draw and usually provides memory power to the bcm security hello, iod, stand. Chrysler uses that fuse for radio memory, dome lights, etc this is usually 12 apr 2017 a yellow light in the center at bottom of instrument panel came on evening https://youtu.be/uwgX4wNs69U
              2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Thx Scouter - Now I have to see if anything was left on. I doubt it because the Outie has a timer which is supposed to protect against battening the flattery. The car battery was OK (it is almost brand new), but presumably some ECU has gone silly. Hopefully it won't do that again.

Interestingly, my Pajero had a bat flattery the same day, but it had not been used for about 4 weeks, and it is damned cold here. Hopefully both cars are OK now.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Port Augusta - SA

Does this mean there are three different terms for the same function ?

Travelling Fuse = Dark Current Fuse = Ignition Off Draw Fuse.

Comment

• erad
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Cooma NSW

Dark Current Fuse and IOD certainly would mean the same thing. Travelling fuse was the name given by the mechanic, and I can see nothing to relate this name to the function as described by him.

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

Well, I have done nothing except look extensively through the workshop manual CD I have (and found nothing relevant). But today, I got in the car and turned the ignition key and all worked as it should. No logical reason for it. The car has had a new battery fro about 2 months now, but it has worked perfectly.

Comment

• vladguan
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by erad View Post
                        Well, I have done nothing except look extensively through the workshop manual CD I have (and found nothing relevant). But today, I got in the car and turned the ignition key and all worked as it should. No logical reason for it. The car has had a new battery fro about 2 months now, but it has worked perfectly.
                        Was the outlander part of the indicator stalk harness/plug recall?
                        Please call me Vlad.
                        -----------------------
                        MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• erad
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Cooma NSW

No. The recall covered only the handbrake actuating mechanism. Apparently they had a crappy seal which could let water in and cause rust, which could impede proper handbrake operation.

I think that the electronic disturbance could have come from mucking around with the ABS. Otherwise it may simply be coincidence. Whatever, it seems to have gone now, but I am not saying this too loud in case it hears me....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X