• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bretski
    • May 2008
    • Brisbane

Climate Control

Hi all

Just drove Brissy to Cairns 20 hrs straight yesterday and the mighty Paj didn't miss a beat. It was a Great trip aside from all roadworks. Wife and I shared driving duties and im impressed with fuel usage.

However. It seams mits has IMHO made error in temp sensor placement for climate control.

Please let me know if anyone else has come across this issue or if my assumptions are incorrect in cause of this problem.

Normal day to day I have temp set between 21 and 24 degrees and climate control works beautifully. However during our long road trip yesterday I found myself having to keep increasing the temp on the setting dial to stop it pumping out freezing cold air. In the end we had it on 29deg to keep it comfortable.

I think what's happening is because of the long drive the transmission tunnel becomes very hot. This heat build up then gives false cabin temp reading as the sensor is located in lower bottom corner centre consol too close to trans tunnel. Climate control thinks its hotter than it actually is and thus pumps out cold air.

So what to do??? I'm guessing relocating the sensor would be best. I'll prob first go to dealer or get in touch with Mits as they should really rectify this as a design fault. Might work fine in cooler climate but in hot climates this is unacceptable.

I'd luv to hear other points of view experiences fixes etc?

Cheers
    Bret

PS... I still hate the MMCS.
  • tar
    • Dec 2011
    • brisbane

are you sure thats where the sensor is??? i thought i read in another thread the sensor is in the drivers door mirror
    2011 RX Warm white, Stereo upgrade, Towbar, Tinting, Interior Protection, Paint Protection, Electronic Rust, TJM Sump Guard, bonnet protector, 75w HID spotties, 2'' Bilstein and kings, airtec snorkel, Cooper At3, uniden uhf, custom rear lighting, colour coded deluxe bull bar, piranha battery tray with abr isolator ... more to come

Towing: Jimboomba Camper trailer

Comment

• Bretski
      • May 2008
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by tar View Post
      are you sure thats where the sensor is??? i thought i read in another thread the sensor is in the drivers door mirror
      Thats prob the external temp sensors

The owners manual has the little grill bottom left corner of centre consol labelled as temp sensor for climate control.

Comment

• Pimbi
        • Feb 2012
        • Streak Bay

If you have the A/C on Auto it sometimes starts up the fans to flat strap to quickly get to the desired temp.It then resets itself to keep an even temp.We didn,t use the Auto for ages but have now got used to it.Be aware that when starting A/C on Auto the air intake will be recirculated air but it automatically goes back to outside air when temp etc reached.If on dirt roads always use outside air & it also helps if there is a dust problem to run the rear A/C outlets as well .They take a while to get used to I must admit

Comment

• Bretski
          • May 2008
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Pimbi View Post
          If you have the A/C on Auto it sometimes starts up the fans to flat strap to quickly get to the desired temp.It then resets itself to keep an even temp.We didn,t use the Auto for ages but have now got used to it.Be aware that when starting A/C on Auto the air intake will be recirculated air but it automatically goes back to outside air when temp etc reached.If on dirt roads always use outside air & it also helps if there is a dust problem to run the rear A/C outlets as well .They take a while to get used to I must admit
          This isn't the first car I've had with climate control. And yes I'm aware of the start up it goes through... As I mentioned when used day to day it all works really well... Long trip the trans tunnel is very hot thus this heat confuses the sensor... I can set it back to manual and it works ok... But then what's the point of having it? Mits needs to get it right just like they need to get MMCS right!!! It's a $70K car...

Comment

• wanderay
            • Feb 2012
            • Richmond NSW

I have noticed this problem on long trips as well. Relocating the sensor may be the answer. Maybe trying to insulate it from the transmission tunnel heat may help.

The thing that bothers me is , when turning the temp up does it then bring in heating to raise the cabin temp or just reduce the amount of cooling??
            NT Pajero (white), Smartbar, Warn winch, LightForce Lights, Safari snorkel, Provent 200, Lovells MD with Aussie Ryder shocks, Optima main and Renogy lithium aux battery and 300w solar on roof with Victron 100/20 reg, Tvan Sport campertrailer.

Comment

• Pajbus
              • Oct 2012
              • Central coast NSW

Auto air temp variations

Hi guys I drove from the central coast NSW to Bathurst which is around 3 hours give or take and I found the auto temp was painful and had to keep readjusting to get a decent temp. Had to change from 22-28 to keep constant temp without freezing in the cab. After the post here I noted the transmission tunnel on my manual was no hotter than any other part of the dash in that area. I'm going to move the pick up point when I pull the dash apart to mod some wiring for the electric brake unit and console. ( removing the silly fuel/ business card holder section) and see if the auto temp works better on the next trip.Fun and games!

Comment

• wanderay
                • Feb 2012
                • Richmond NSW

Thanks Pajbus, please let us know how you go with the mod.
                NT Pajero (white), Smartbar, Warn winch, LightForce Lights, Safari snorkel, Provent 200, Lovells MD with Aussie Ryder shocks, Optima main and Renogy lithium aux battery and 300w solar on roof with Victron 100/20 reg, Tvan Sport campertrailer.

Comment

• Bretski
                  • May 2008
                  • Brisbane

@Pajbus ... Keep me posted. I still think Mits should fix this. Mines due for 15K service soon so armed with info from all you guys and temp measurements from my drive back to Bris Tomoz i'll have a good case for them to act. Can only hope...

Cheers

Bret

Comment

• Dazza.
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • Northern Territory

"First world problem"
                    COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

• Bretski
                      • May 2008
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Dazza. View Post
                      "First world problem"
                      haha ... yes i guess so... but $70K car and last in long line of Gen 4 Paj... shouldnt be an issue

Comment

• Gedster
                        • Aug 2010
                        • Orange, NSW

Originally posted by Bretski View Post
                        @Pajbus ... Keep me posted. I still think Mits should fix this. Mines due for 15K service soon so armed with info from all you guys and temp measurements from my drive back to Bris Tomoz i'll have a good case for them to act. Can only hope...

Cheers

Bret
                        Yeah I have complained about my climate control to my local dealer and they said "yeah thats the Pajero climate control for you" WHAT! I have had a couple of Fords in the past and their climate control is supurb! You never have to touch it. set it to 23 degrees and forget!

Comment

• Bretski
                          • May 2008
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Gedster View Post
                          Yeah I have complained about my climate control to my local dealer and they said "yeah thats the Pajero climate control for you" WHAT! I have had a couple of Fords in the past and their climate control is supurb! You never have to touch it. set it to 23 degrees and forget!
                          Well if they say to me they will get "Not Good Enough Guys"

Got home yesterday and same issue. Put on Manual and the aircon is fine... just a few minor adjustments to keep comfortable... But I may as well have bought a GLX again at least I could have put a decent Stereo in that... and could have optioned Rear Diff Lock and Rear Aircon.

I actually sent Mits Aust an email as I was hoping that I could go to dealer armed with some Factory Technical Advice but they just sent me back a pro forma email thanking me for my email but they dont give tech advice to general public and I need to discuss with Dealership. I half expected that but was still disappointed.

Any way Only a few 1000 kays till its first proper service will see what they have to say. I might actually send the dealer an email in advance so hopefully they can research the issue before they see my Paj... As the one thing I hate is "You'll have to bring it back mate as we did't have time, tech info or parts to fix" ... I HATE THAT ...

Will keep you posted over next few weeks.

Comment

• Goodsy
                            Who ya gunna call....
                            • Dec 2010
                            • Hervey Bay

Has there been a change in the climate control system since the NS?
                            Mine is set and forget at 24. Never touched it and have no issues at all.
                            .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                            NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Bretski
                              • May 2008
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                              Has there been a change in the climate control system since the NS?
                              Mine is set and forget at 24. Never touched it and have no issues at all.
                              Have you done a Long trip greater than a 4 hours in a warm climate???

Its only an issue on Long Trips otherwise its set and forget in everyday use...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X