X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakar Tom
    • Oct 2011
    • Sydney

Thanks Karl, that's exactly the sort of information - and reassurance - I need.
    See something every day that you don't see everyday!

Comment

• Paj People 2009
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2009
      • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi Tom,

We also tow quite a large van. It's a Jayco Sterling 20.64-2 Ouback, with additions, such as 2 x batteries and 2 x solar panels. I only mention this as it is slightly heavier than the original version with these extras.

The ATM is 2500kg and the ball weight 250kg.

We, of course, use a HR WD set up and have just changed to Old Man Emu (ARB) springs, shocks and Polyair bags.

The Paj is chipped with a DP Chip.

The whole rig is very stable, lots of power, and feels very secure on the road.

We feel that this is probably about the limit you would want to tow with the Paj, not bcause it can't handle a slightly larger van, but check the ball weight saga, we've been going 10 pages on! Usually the weight on the ball on anything bigger will be over the 180kg allowed. (Please all, do not start biting my head off on this comment again - it's just a generalised comment!).

2500-2600kg is probably about the heaviest van you'd want to tow with the Paj from a safety margin too. It's always good to be a few hundred kgs under the maximum allowed, for peace of mind.

If you want to go 2600kg-2700kg onwards, I'd be looking at a Cruiser or Patrol, IMO.

Cheers,
      Sally
      SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• Dion
        Valued Member
        • May 2010
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Paj People 2009 View Post
        If you want to go 2600kg-2700kg onwards, I'd be looking at a Cruiser or Patrol, IMO.

Cheers,
        Sally
        Forget the Patrol ... Cruiser ... or you go bigger ala Ford F-series or other such import.
        2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• ADP2009
          • Dec 2009
          • South Coast NSW

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
          Would anyone like to tow 3,350Kg with the Ford Ranger or the Mazda BT 50. Yep that is their braked towing capacity.

Don't know what the ball weight is but surely not 10%
          From the Ranger Spec's:
          "Towball download must not exceed 335kg on 2.2L Diesel and 3.2L Diesel vehicles 4x2 Hi-Rider and 4x4 (3,350kg max. towing capacity)."

There are lower towball rates on the petrol and and Lo-rider versions.

Another interesting comment about towball download from the spec's"

"Towball download must be a minimum of 6% of the towed weight. Towball download must not exceed 10% of the towed weight."

Comment

• Dion
            Valued Member
            • May 2010
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by ADP2009 View Post
            From the Ranger Spec's:
            "Towball download must not exceed 335kg on 2.2L Diesel and 3.2L Diesel vehicles 4x2 Hi-Rider and 4x4 (3,350kg max. towing capacity)."

There are lower towball rates on the petrol and and Lo-rider versions.
            Remembering that they are utes, they have a rear end designed to cope with loads.
            2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• Radios
              • Jul 2007
              • Qld

Well some manufacturers seem to think differently from others when it comes to ball loading. I was given some specs for a Holden Colarado - the model that has just been superseded. The model in the range is a 4x4 Diesel engine. Extract from the specs. Pages 9-4 and 9-6

"Towing capacity 3000kg. Max. ball load 300kg

Towing equipment - Between 750kg and 3000kg -

Mandatory equipment

Holden genuine tow bar
              Holden trailer wiring harness
              Brakes on trailer
              Load distributing hitch if the vehicle attitude is compromised or the maximum ball load is exceeded"

That is a very interesting statement on the ball loading.
              2014 MY15 Warm White NX Exceed 3.2 DID Auto, Genuine Towbar, CB

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Comment

• Dion
                Valued Member
                • May 2010
                • Brisbane

That is interesting, given that WDH do not reduce loading on the ball ... the trailer still has the same mass.

Comment

• ADP2009
                  • Dec 2009
                  • South Coast NSW

I agree Dion, plus I am pretty sure that the manufacturer's maximum towball weight can't be exceeded, full stop.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                    • May 2009
                    • Perth

That has gotta be a recall....Imagine the potential litigation against GMH if someone was to do that and something adverse happened.

Shane.
                    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• achjimmy
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2009
                      • Blue Mtns

Originally posted by Radios View Post
                      Well some manufacturers seem to think differently from others when it comes to ball loading. I was given some specs for a Holden Colarado - the model that has just been superseded. The model in the range is a 4x4 Diesel engine. Extract from the specs. Pages 9-4 and 9-6

"Towing capacity 3000kg. Max. ball load 300kg

Towing equipment - Between 750kg and 3000kg -

Mandatory equipment

Holden genuine tow bar
                      Holden trailer wiring harness
                      Brakes on trailer
                      Load distributing hitch if the vehicle attitude is compromised or the maximum ball load is exceeded"

That is a very interesting statement on the ball loading.
                      I find there comment about the vehicle attitude interesting as well, I have never seen the need for a WDH if the trailer is not affecting the vechiles attitude.
                      Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                      MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
                      99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• dongee
                        • Sep 2009

Hi Brewster_O
                        I had the same issue last April. I own an NT Auto and was towing my just purchased 23 foot full height van. I have been towing vans for 10 years now.
                        I had several very scary moments and thought I was going to meet the trees on the hume, both times I caught it in time. More luck than anything. This van weighs 2900 kgs loaded. I had it made so that the ball weight kept me legal. On arriving at my destination I rang the dealer. What I ended up doing was removing the 3 bikes and bike rack off the back off the van. This made things better, but anymore than 85-90k's per hour was not confident.
                        After the return trip, I had a sway hitch fitted (hayman reece) and after talking to a couple of dealers, I also checked and increased my van tyre pressures to 45psi. I have just got back from Merimbula and a did not once have any concerns.
                        So. bike rack on the back of the van no good.
                        Sway hitch needed
                        Uped tyre pressures.

Hope this helps, there are solutions.

Dongee

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X