• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

EOI-Canning Stock Route 2016

Just getting this up well in advance as there will be quite a bit of planning for anyone deciding to come along. (Annual leave/Fuel drop/Permits etc)

I am planning on doing the CSR some time in 2016, I'm open to dates anywhere from May-September, but at this point after a bit of research, July could be the favoured month as we may be able to get permits to enter the Carnarvon range area. This area has been closed for quite a few years but looks like there is now a chance it will be open for select periods in 2015 and beyond. (Onslow tells me it is well worth the visit)

I actually prefer to go later in the year maybe in August/September, but a lot of this hinges on the Carnarvon range permit window.

I am thinking a Maximum 6 or maybe 7 vehicle convoy, but this is open to discussion. The anticipated duration will be around 3 weeks in total, this is also open to discussion. From what I can tell on the web, 2 weeks on the track is about the minimum time to take, depending on how many wells/sites we visit, and we will need 3 or 4 days transit time to get to the CSR and back.

This will be one hell of an adventure on one of the remotest 4wd tracks in Australia. A sense of adventure and a capable vehicle are essential, along with the ability to deal with unforeseen problems which may arise from time to time and the love of a nice cold beer around a nice warm campfire!

Those that have expressed an interest to me during discussions/previous trips etc, I have pencilled in as possible attendee's below.

(TBC) = To be confirmed

Ok the date is set for us to meet at Wolfe Creek on July 24th 2016.
    Confirmed group.
    stevemc181 (Confirmed)
    sharkcaver (Confirmed)
    Morville (Confirmed)

Feel free to post up suggestions and once we have a confirmed group we can get down to the nitty gritty of fuel and permit planning.

Disclaimer:

"Subject to any insurance cover organised by the Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria ["the Club"], the Club accepts no liability for any loss, damage or injury to persons or property arising directly or indirectly from attending any trips advertised on this web-site. Forum members and other accompanying persons undertaking these trips do so at their own risk and should make their own enquiries as to any insurance cover. Trip participants acknowledge that in the event of inappropriate behaviour, the designated Trip Leader is entitled to ask the offending person or persons to leave. It is acknowledged by Forum members and other trip participants that the Pajero 4WD Club & the Pajero Club Public Forum web-site provides a forum for trips as a community service, and, whilst every care is taken by the Trip Leader, is not intended to convey any responsibility for the trips themselves on the part of the Club"
    Last edited by stevemc181; 05-06-16, 10:17 PM.
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Steve,

CSR is about the only long remote trip in Australia I have not done and is not one I would tackle solo. 2016 is a good year for me so I am interested.

Presuming it is a north / south transit (down hill) with no trailers.
    All participants need to be well prepared and experienced in outback travel.

From my research the CSR is not technically difficult but logistically it is very difficult and you need to be well prepared and disciplined if you are to have a "trouble free" trip.

cheers, old Jack.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Onslow
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Perth, Western Australia

I have the Canning Stock Route book by Eric and Ronelle Gard if you want to borrow it? And can give the locations of things to see in the Carnarvon Range if you want. Plenty of indigenous history and early explorer history in the range to see, and lots of fresh water there too.
      NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Georgie
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2013
        • Secret Harbour WA

Hi Stevewould
        Pam and I would love to do this one but it might be a bit hard with the off road van I dont think there would any problems towing off road campers for those people that have them
        Cheers
        Georgie
        2015 Sahara
        Black Mica in colour
        BFG A/T 275x70x18s Black Widow drawers Redark dual battery system GME CB radio Redarc Tow Prow Elite

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero

Comment

• JoshF
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Brisbane

ping JCD he did the trip in 2013
          NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
          Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• stevemc181
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Hi Steve,

CSR is about the only long remote trip in Australia I have not done and is not one I would tackle solo. 2016 is a good year for me so I am interested.

Presuming it is a north / south transit (down hill) with no trailers.
            All participants need to be well prepared and experienced in outback travel.

From my research the CSR is not technically difficult but logistically it is very difficult and you need to be well prepared and disciplined if you are to have a "trouble free" trip.

cheers, old Jack.

My preference is not to tow trailers, not saying it can't be done, but there are also permit issues on a couple of the stations at the Southern End that have now banned any trailers traversing their property.

Not quite sure on which direction we will be doing it yet, will go with the majority decision, I have no preference either way.

Be glad to have you along OJ. I'll pencil you in as a TBC, and we can confirm later once we have narrowed down some dates etc.

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
            I have the Canning Stock Route book by Eric and Ronelle Gard if you want to borrow it? And can give the locations of things to see in the Carnarvon Range if you want. Plenty of indigenous history and early explorer history in the range to see, and lots of fresh water there too.
            Some locations would be good Onslow, are you in for this trip? Pending dates of course.

Originally posted by Georgie View Post
            Hi Stevewould
            Pam and I would love to do this one but it might be a bit hard with the off road van I dont think there would any problems towing off road campers for those people that have them
            Cheers
            Georgie
            Yep, not the place to be taking a Van Georgie, as above regarding camper trailers. I've read a few horror stories regarding bits and pieces of camper trailers left trackside. My preference is camping it and I'll be going on a Paj weight reduction program prior to this trip
            Are yourself and Pam interested?

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
            ping JCD he did the trip in 2013
            Yep, will do,
            2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Georgie
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2013
              • Secret Harbour WA

Hi Steve
              Will be a great trip but I dont know that we would go back to basic camping getting a bit long in the teeth now for that sort of thing
              Cheers
              Georgie
              2015 Sahara
              Black Mica in colour
              BFG A/T 275x70x18s Black Widow drawers Redark dual battery system GME CB radio Redarc Tow Prow Elite

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero

Comment

• Maximage
                • Mar 2013
                • Darch, Perth, WA

Hmmmm, might have to do some research into how 2 year old kids handle travel like this ...
                SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

• stevemc181
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Maximage View Post
                  Hmmmm, might have to do some research into how 2 year old kids handle travel like this ...
                  You'll probably have another one by then Ash

Comment

• Nik
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • Perth

I'm dead keen, but I won't be able to confirm until probably mid 2015 as it's going to depend on work and being able to take the time off. The best time for me in that window would be starting the track the second week in July, so around the 10/11th of July. If it's in any part of June or September I definitely won't be able to go as that's the last month of the quarter and I can't get any time off then. The only months I'll be able to get that time off are April, July and October. So if you wanted to do it later would the second week of October be too late?

What I'm thinking of doing to minimise the time off was splitting up the drive either side of the CSR. I'll drive up to the start over a weekend prior, then fly back to Perth for work and fly back up the following weekend to meet people to start the trip and then do the same at the tail end.

If it can be Apr/Jul/Oct put me down as confirmed as I think I'll be able to wrangle something. If it's Jun or Sep there's no way I'll get leave so I'm definitely out.
                    Last edited by Nik; 03-12-14, 11:44 AM. Reason: I keep thinking about more dates
                    2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• stevemc181
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Nik View Post
                      I'm dead keen, but I won't be able to confirm until probably mid 2015 as it's going to depend on work and being able to take the time off. The best time for me in that window would be starting the track the second week in July, so around the 10/11th of July. If it's in any part of June or September I definitely won't be able to go as that's the last month of the quarter and I can't get any time off then. The only months I'll be able to get that time off are April, July and October. So if you wanted to do it later would the second week of October be too late?

What I'm thinking of doing to minimise the time off was splitting up the drive either side of the CSR. I'll drive up to the start over a weekend prior, then fly back to Perth for work and fly back up the following weekend to meet people to start the trip and then do the same at the tail end.

If it can be Apr/Jul/Oct put me down as confirmed as I think I'll be able to wrangle something. If it's Jun or Sep there's no way I'll get leave so I'm definitely out.
                      Okay No problem Nik, we'll scratch June and September off the list, from what I can tell permits are only being issued in July for the Carnarvon Ranges, expressions of interest are now open for July 2015, so I am assuming 2016 will be the same period. This is an area that few get to visit and I'm keen to get in there, so I think we may aim for July 2016 as the target month.
                      Sounds like you would prefer to start from the Northern End as the Southern End is only a good days drive from Perth (950km's)
                      Halls creek up near the Northern end is around 2850km's, so 3 or 4 days drive. Maybe leave the car in Broome, it might be safer there than Halls creek and I dare say most of us will be passing through via Broome anyway if we start at the Northern end.

Comment

• Nik
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • Perth

Ah, I hadn't looked at the distances from each end. Either end to start is fine, I can fly back at the end of the trip just as easily as the start. In fact it probably is better at the end as I could start the trip with everyone in Perth, then drive to Broome after the trip and then head back the following weekend and leg it back to Perth. The drive back is never as exciting as the drive there, and I can just try to punch that out heading up on the Friday and try to get back by Sunday night.
                        2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Maximage
                          • Mar 2013
                          • Darch, Perth, WA

Could also be wise with a pile of people running the same cars (i.e. Gen 4s) as it means we can possibly cut down slightly on spare parts between us all, in addition to maybe 1 stove per 2 cars and various things like that. Pity you have a Gen 3 Nik ... :-P
                          SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

• stevemc181
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Maximage View Post
                            Could also be wise with a pile of people running the same cars (i.e. Gen 4s) as it means we can possibly cut down slightly on spare parts between us all, in addition to maybe 1 stove per 2 cars and various things like that. Pity you have a Gen 3 Nik ... :-P

I take it that means you will be coming on this one and want me to put you in the TBC list Ash?

I'll be loaded up with most of my gear anyway as I may do the Gibb and Kimberley etc either before or after the trip.

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011
                              • Adelaide, South Australia.

July is Ok for me, keep in mind NT school holidays are for the month of July.

Direction wise, from what I have read, travelling from north to south means you are always driving with the sun behind you, rather than all day into the sun, in the morning on your left and in the afternoon your right as the winter sun is tracking lower in the northern sky. Easier driving and more scenic. Also if you have mechanical or electrical failure you are likely to have it towards the end of the trip so therefore recovery or assistance is closer to major cities so therefore it is cheaper and less inconvenient.

For those coming from the southern, northern and eastern states we would meet up at Halls Creek with the WA contingent, could be a big night at the pub!

cheers, old Jack.
                              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X