• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by dragonjon View Post
      I BOUGHT MY SPORT JANUARY 2016
      No reviews except 1 off road test was out at the time
      it was purchased as my long term grey nomad vehicle we have only had
      a couple of issues so far 43800 klms on clock has old jacks rear suspension upgrade done
      full underbody rust proof
      mod chip by just autos nambour
      cb rear camera for caravan and a set of sheepskin seat covers are on the way for when we retire to TASSIE
      Tell us more about your experience with the modchip....driving, fuel and worth it?

STILL LOVING IT

Retire to Tassie from Sunshine Coast...wtf? Bet your back within a couple of years. The cold will drive you out!! Know of 3 families over the last 10 years that thought they would like a quiet Tassie life with the appeal of cheaper housing. All 3 back due to not being able to handle cold weather days and nights. Housing is on the rise and renting is getting as costly as the mainland. Beautiful place to holiday...but leave it at that. Older folks will have a bugger of a time with arthritis from the cold especially if you are used to a warm climate.

Each to their own though.. Good luck.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• dragonjon
        • Feb 2018
        • sunshinecoast

Getting too bloody hot up here worse every year ,easier and cheaper to warm up than cool down
        have already bought a house Scamander north east coast
        Will spend most winters grey no-madding on mainland
        anyways financially we cant stay up here and enjoy our retirement

Comment

• Hoges1
          • Jul 2015
          • Gold Coast

Interesting read of all the opinions and experiences of PS and Pajs. I have an NX GLS Pajero which I am very happy with but with a car allowance I need to replace my cars every 5 years. In the business I manage we have 4 FWD Tritons and 1 brand new style 2 WD. The FWD Tritons do about 180k or more over 3 years. We service Fraser so do beach work too. These vehicles give absolutely no trouble and the reliability has me in two minds whether to buy a PS with the same drive train of another Pajero.
          One thing that does occupy my mind is reliability and durability. My next car I'll be taking into retirement and it will do some towing. The Paj has taken our camper trailer to Moreton Island several times and the only short coming was the back bumper scooping up sand. My son's NW has bash plates from front to back so the bumper is protected.
          So like many here I face the dilemma of what to buy. Mitsubishis are all that I'll look at. Been down the Toyota and Jeep path. Toyota too risking today with 2.8 motor and Jeeps are really comfortable and powerful but back up is an issue. The new Triton I have just bought has the new nose and I must say I like it. The rear lights on the PS re not really my thing and I'll be interested in what the new PS has. Anyway the next 12 months are going to be difficult and I'll be haunting this thread and the Pajero NX thread trying to decide.
          2017 NX GLX. Tow bar, TJM alloy bull bar. TJM snorkel.60 L aux tank, Redarc brake controller, dual battery, 2 inch Lovells lift, Comms.

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
            Retire to Tassie from Sunshine Coast...wtf? Bet your back within a couple of years. The cold will drive you out!! Know of 3 families over the last 10 years that thought they would like a quiet Tassie life with the appeal of cheaper housing. All 3 back due to not being able to handle cold weather days and nights. Housing is on the rise and renting is getting as costly as the mainland. Beautiful place to holiday...but leave it at that. Older folks will have a bugger of a time with arthritis from the cold especially if you are used to a warm climate.

Each to their own though.. Good luck.

Just buy a good jumper and coat
            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

Anyway, how'd ya go ActionDan with the test drives? Narrowed down the choices?
              2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                Anyway, how'd ya go ActionDan with the test drives? Narrowed down the choices?

I think the men in white coats finally picked him up and took him home.

Comment

• craigw
                  • Feb 2011
                  • sydney

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                  I think the men in white coats finally picked him up and took him home.
                  Im sure war and peace is a shorter book
                  2011 Ls Manual , Cooper ST 265/70/17 , Tough Dog Suspension, Safari Snorkel
                  2018 Pajero Sport GLS 5 Pirelli scorpion ATR plus 265/65 18

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

ActionDan is MIA.
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• ActionDan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Yackandandah

Weekend was chock'o'block and I started a new job yesterday. Here's a run down, but if talking about cars or people sharing opinions bothers you, don't bother reading on. Save yourself the pain you keep subjecting yourself to and leave the thread lol

Men in white coats is about right, yes I test drove on Saturday, with the wife, over a set course including town/highway/dirt road (this mirrors my daily commute) and it did help me make a call, but it introduced an issue that I will need to sit down and work through.

This time I took a new GXL Fortuner, a 2014 3L Prado, a 2014 3.6L Petrol Grand Cherokee (Blackhawk I think?), and a 2017 GLS Pajero. All auto.

Fortuner/Grand Cherokee has the nicest ride around town, but both were terrible on the corrugated dirt road, as was the Pajero (in terms of ride comfort and interior rattles). I see what people mean about Pajero dashes now, but the problem was also evident in the Fortuner and Jeep - too firmly sprung? Might go away with better/longer suspension once lifted? who knows). The Pajero is more consistent on all surfaces, where as the Fortuner and Jeep are Jekyll and Hyde as they change surfaces.

Driving the Jeep also made me realise how noisey all 3 diesels are in comparison (under throttle, all are fine when cruising) and how much nicer the V6 Jeep was around town as a result. Jeep engine really surprised me with it's quietness, fuel economy and power.

Unfortunately the rest of the car felt cheaply made and the list of recalls ultimate put the nail in the coffin there. Sure all cars have recalls, but none of the others have so many safety specific recalls. Risk of fire, exploding caliper, ABS/ESC dying but also the warning light so you don't even know, the list goes on.

The Pajero still has the most airy open cabin, it's just amazing how big it feels inside. Best loading space too, even if it shares Prado's annoying side opening door. Prado door has the benefit of being higher in terms of hitch clearance.

After all that, my take away was Prado was the best all rounder, I liked it more as a 3L than the newer 2.8 I drove last time, it's more effortless and it makes less noise. After driving the jeep though, I just found myself hating the noise more (remember I have never owned a diesel car other than an old Ford Focus company car back in the day, but it was a free car so you take what you get).

So I thought OK, great, I'll find myself a 4L Petrol Prado (The 3L was known as D4Detonation), use a little more fuel sure, but never have the concern of any of the diesel stuff, EGR's DPFs, water in fuel. Accelerate faster, quieter, etc. That would be fine except a decent, low k's, not ancient petrol Prado is apparently a rare combo. So I either wait for a unicorn to pop up within my original budget and buy a much older car - say 2010-2012 vs easily being able to get 2014-2016 Pajero - or I effectively add another 10k to my budget to get into a 2015/2016 (there was a change to a newer 4L and a 6spd auto at this point). I should point out I was trying to get something around 60ks.

After selling the Falcon and Landcruiser, getting into a petrol 2015/16 Prado would be another 20k on top quite easily, yes I can afford it, but do I want to?

Alternatively, the cost to go from the Falcon, back into a Territory (Petrol/RWD) is maybe 7-10k and I would keep the LandCruiser for the hard yacka/dirty work. I already know a Territory can tow my race car and fulfill family duties and I was previously averaging 10.5L per hundred in it so they don't guzzle fuel either (Falcon is currently 9L).

And this all started because I quit my previous job, lost my company car, and then read a review on the Pajero sport being amazing and thought wouldn't it be nice to just have the one car? One Rego, one insurance bill, one car to service etc...

Don't worry, I can make these decisions off the forums

I am incredibly appreciative of the opinions/thoughts/advice/and even the smart ass comments I've had here (all valid I might add...)

This forum feels like what forums used to be like everywhere, sadly that's changed and good forums like this one are hard to find.

OK, I'm ready for my straight jacket now.
                      Last edited by ActionDan; 04-06-19, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• bennyb29
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2015
                        • Brisbane

Now you lost me.
                        Is it a Prado? Is it a Territory?

As for the quietness factor, it's a petrol Jeep. Guess it goes without saying that petrol cars score in NVH over a diesel.
                        Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by bennyb29 View Post
                          Now you lost me.

As for the quietness factor, it's a petrol Jeep. Guess it goes without saying that petrol cars score in NVH over a diesel.

Actionman claims to have been a motoring journalist. You are correct Benny, it does go without saying.

Comment

• ActionDan
                            • Apr 2019
                            • Yackandandah

Originally posted by bennyb29 View Post
                            Now you lost me.

Not sure, will need to look at the numbers have a good think. The point with Territory was I can swap Falcon for Territory and tick all the family wagon boxes + towing race car/trailers in town as required and not spend a huge heap of money. Keep the Landcruiser for pulling wood trailers up and down my block/in the bush out of town where the RWD open diff territory would never dare. Use it for camping if we're going further than fire trails the Territory can deal with. Get a second (actually third) set of car seats for the Cruiser it and continue to pay 2 lots of rego/insurance.

Prado would be an all in one car making it a bit more convenient, but to get the version with the k's I would like would be a considerably larger outlay, such that I wouldn't realistically ever see it back by not paying that second rego/insurance, unless I kept the car for 10yrs, which I never do.

Clear as mud?

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                            Actionman claims to have been a motoring journalist. You are correct Benny, it does go without saying.
                            I was waiting for you to punish yourself a little more, for someone who hates the thread content as much as you claim to, you sure keep coming back for more. I believe the term is "masochist".

Always knew Diesel would be louder, but did not expect the difference to be so great. I had no experience with current gen diesel 4wds. My time in the industry, a decade ago, was spent driving primarily petrol/performance cars because that's what they were being given at the time the site was finding its legs. I had a look and I can still see reference to some of my work there, I'm happy to message you proof of that claim, but I know you don't actually care, you're just looking for something to take a shot at lol

I took a quick look back to see at what point you jumped in and started commenting in this thread, you really did take that comment about retirees to heart didn't you?

Might need to thicken up that skin princess

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2016
                              • Greater Sydney

Yeah yeah. Whatever you say sweetheart.

Comment

• nj swb
                                Resident
                                • Jun 2007
                                • Adelaide

Children, play nice!

If you don't like this thread, don't read it.

If you don't have anything constructive to add, don't post.
                                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X