• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markcas_65
    • Nov 2012
    • Redlands

Yokohama Go15 or Falken A/T3

Hi to all
    I need to change my very noisy Bridgestone 694's to a quite A/T LT. Bob says go with the Yoko,s GO15 and Jax says Falken A/T3.I am after a quiet tyre with wet weather grip that will handle the caravan on the odd trip.
    Can anyone comment on these tyres that you have used .
    Thanks Mark
  • DaKaptin
    • Mar 2012
    • Brisbane, Qld

Pirelli atrs. Not LT but fantastic at everything and particularly the wet and quietness

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Mark,

Neither of the tyres you are asking about are terrible but do they suit your requirements?
      Do I trust tyre sales people for accurate unbiased recommendations, NO WAY!

All tyres lose their wet weather grip and get noisy as they wear and age so even if you put new D694 on they would be completely different to your old 694's

A few questions first so we can see what type of tyre is most suitable for your needs.

1. How heavy is your caravan?
      2. Is the back of the Pajero empty or loaded up?
      3. Do you every drive off the bitumen?
      4. Do you ever go off road?
      5. All tyres will be a compromise so what is important to you in order;
      a) Long life.
      b) Wet weather performance.
      c) Off road toughness.
      d) Off road grip.
      e) Puncture resistance.
      f) Quietness.
      g) Comfort.
      h) Purchase price.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Markcas_65
        • Nov 2012
        • Redlands

Tyres

Hi
        The van weighs 2100 kg
        Only go Off Road on the beach dirt roads or grassy fields
        Off road a slight load in back
        Looking for a tyre with quietness wet weather grip

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Markcas_65 View Post
          Hi
          The van weighs 2100 kg
          I second the Pirelli Scorpion suggestion. I suspect they are a massively underrated tyre.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• DaKaptin
            • Mar 2012
            • Brisbane, Qld

Yep in that case i second my suggestion of the pirellis lol.

2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Hi
              The van weighs 2100 kg
              What size are your current tyres?
              265/70R16 or 265/65R17?

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Markcas_65
                • Nov 2012
                • Redlands

265 65 17

Comment

• aussieintas
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Sorell, Tasmania

I'm a fan of the Pirelli's had them for a while now. Started a thread some time ago about them.
                  2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                  88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                  95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                  08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Sorell, Tasmania

Here's the thread.

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• bb2wa
                      • Apr 2018
                      • Perth

Hi to all
                      I need to change my very noisy Bridgestone 694's to a quite A/T LT. Bob says go with the Yoko,s GO15 and Jax says Falken A/T3.I am after a quiet tyre with wet weather grip that will handle the caravan on the odd trip.
                      Can anyone comment on these tyres that you have used .
                      Thanks Mark
                      I have those Yokos. Yes Quiet, good in the wet and excellent fuel economy.
                      2009 NT DID Platinum, CR5002HP air bags, KYB Skorched 4s shocks, std front springs, rear Kings std . Alpine iLX-702D, Occam roof rack 2.2m on backbone.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

265 65 17

Ok,since you want to stay with a standard diameter tyre, you tow heavy, most of your travels are on the bitumen but a little off bitumen and beach work, and you are thinking of a LT construction tyre.

Yokohama GO15- light duty passenger tyre with mild AT tread pattern. Suggest this is too light for your application.

Falken AT3W, Mild AT tread pattern and available in both P265/65R17 116Xl (extra load)
                        or LT265/65/R17 120 10 ply. Either of these would do the job but the LT is the stronger tyre. I have not heard or read any really bad reports on them.

Pirrelli ATR these have a fantastic reputation as a mild AT and are used by many forum members. They were replaced last year by the AT Plus which has a more aggressive tread pattern but at the moment they are only available in a passenger construction 112 load index, so I believe these will be too light for you.

Hankook ATM RF10, in a LT265/65R17 117 8ply, mild AT tread pattern seem to have a good reputation for a mid priced tyre. Will fit your requirements.currently on special, 4 tyre's $827 online!
                        Looking for Hankook 265/65R17 tyres? Find out specs, sizes & manufacturer descriptions for Hankook 265/65R17 tyres at JAXTyres.com.au

Bridgestone D697 LT265/65R17 116 8ply, mild tread pattern AT, good reports about wet weather performance but soft sidewalls and shoulders so not so good once you leave good dirt roads. Will fit your requirements.

Toyo AT3, LT265/6517 120 10ply a mild AT tread pattern with a strong carcass. Popular tyre as this is a strong tyre and good value particularly when on special. Will fit your requirements.

Mickey Thompson AT38, this tyre replaced the old ATZ 5 rib which had a great reputation as a mild AT tread pattern with a strong carcass. LT265/65R17 120 10ply this is a strong tyre. Will fit your requirements.

Cooper AT3LT, Cooper has many variants of the AT3 so you need to be careful which one you consider. The AT3LT in a LT265/65R17 120 10ply is a very strong tyre and has a good reputation from those that use them. Will fit your requirements. No other brand of tyre is so polarized, some people hate them, others love them, I do not understand why. My brother has been running these on his very heavily laden work utes since 2011, he does about 60,000kms a year and will not use any other tyre.

Best to keep all 5 tyre's the same and rotate the spare through regularly. No point having a spare that has full tread and is age hardened!
                        I buy 5 tyre's and rotate spare after 40,000 kms so when I replace the set of tyre's there is a tyre that is about half worn, this tyre becomes the spare for the next set of tyre's and is introduced in to the rotation when the new tyre's have done 40,000kms. So I use 9 tyre's over 140,000-150,000 kms. I change tyres when they have between 3mm and 5 mm total tread depth as by this time they are 3.5 to 4 years old, have got noisy and hard and are more likely to fail when touring. The theoretical value of the 3-5mm tread is less than the excess on comprehensive insurance and you are more likely to not be able to stop or lose control of the vehicle in an emergency situation if you have worn tyre's!

This time around I fitted an internal TPMS, prices have come down a lot so for $208 a 5 tyre unit is good insurance. It only has to save you from ruining even a half worn tyre by early detection of pressure lose and it has paid for itself. If it prevents a blow out and subsequent rollover or accident it could save lives and be the best $200 you have every spent.

OJ.
                        Last edited by old Jack; 13-04-19, 06:54 AM. Reason: Tyre rotation and TPMS info added

Comment

• DaKaptin
                          • Mar 2012
                          • Brisbane, Qld

Yep as per OJ if you willing to spend the $$ the coopets are the best. And tbey last forever. And they are good in the wet.

Comment

• Markcas_65
                            • Nov 2012
                            • Redlands

Tyres

Thanks Old Jack
                            That is one the most informed with facts report i have ever been given.I will head down the LT path I don't like cooper tyres/Mickey T's .after bad experience with 4 ribs and ST MAX .
                            1 Tyre dealer suggested General Grabber at/3 in LT but unsure.I am thinking the wild Peaks in LT .
                            Thank You for your help
                            Mark

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

Thanks Old Jack
                              That is one the most informed with facts report i have ever been given.I will head down the LT path I don't like cooper tyres/Mickey T's .after bad experience with 4 ribs and ST MAX .
                              1 Tyre dealer suggested General Grabber at/3 in LT but unsure.I am thinking the wild Peaks in LT .
                              Thank You for your help
                              Mark
                              General Grapper AT3 are available in LT265/65R17 120 10 ply, I have never seen one so I cannot comment on them except with a little research it turns out that General are owned by Continental who make a lot of OEM tyre's for luxury European cars.

Out of interest what vehicle was the MT ATZ 4 rib and the Cooper ST Maxx fitted to, what size and what did you not like about them?

Unless you go the really cheap tyre's, most tyre's are fine but often they don't suit the vehicle, wrong size, not the correct tyre for the intended use and expectation of the driver. Let's take Bridgestone D697 as an example, great on road especially in the wet, comfortable, reasonably quite but travel off the bitumen and heavily loaded and they suffer tread punctures and shoulder/sidewall staking more easily than many other LT AT tyre's. Just ask GeoPaj, Letsgoplaces and Pajero12, they have all had major tyre failures on medium offroad trips I have been on with them.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X