• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paulybabe
    • Mar 2016
    • Adelaide

Calling DP Chip users

I tow a 2 ton caravan and wondered is spending $1500 worth the investment? I have the catch can on my 2016 NX and she’s done nearly 50000kms. Tows the van well but it would be nice to have a little more grunt. Also, is it worth monitoring the transmission temperature? What’s the easiest way of doing that say with your IPad? Thanks guys.
    Mrs: MY16 Pajero NX GLS DiD Auto (white), Boos bash plates, MM steel bull bar, rock sliders, catch can, D697 A/T, Redarc towpro, Airbag Man Heavy duty bags.
    Me: 2015 Mercedes Vito 113 SWB
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Have you thought of fitting an MM4x4 Lockup Mate or Auto Mate, if you keep the torque convertor locked up then your ATF temps will stay lower so longer ATF life, engine coolant and air inlet temperatures are lower, and decreased fuel consumption, all for less than half the cost of a chip or a tune. Whilst it will not give you as much extra grunt it will be much kinder to your engine, auto and wallet, and you will be surprised what extra grunt you do get from the standard engine tune once the TC is locked up.

Designed, tested and built especially for Gen 4 Pajero's by forum member "m-&-m".

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

I have a 2014 NW with 52,000klms. Had catch can and egr delete from new.. I have found myself towing a lot more than expected. I got a quote during the week for a 3 inch exhaust and the ecu re-mapped for towing mode. They will also have the ecu delete the egr and then I can remove the spv plug in unit. $2600. Factory tune will be stored and available in case anything goes wrong. Tech said that the 3.2 pajero motor responds really well to a remap as it is a de-tuned motor that can take a 20% increase in power and torque with absolutely no problems. He said that many of his customers are retirees who tow vans and would like a bit more towing capability from their motors. He said customers report between 3-12% better fuel economy when towing or at highway speeds. I,ve done a fair bit of research over the last 12 months and after reading reports on here and other forums I reckon I,ll be booking mine in before Xmas .

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Paulybabe
        • Mar 2016
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        Have you thought of fitting an MM4x4 Lockup Mate or Auto Mate, if you keep the torque convertor locked up then your ATF temps will stay lower so longer ATF life, engine coolant and air inlet temperatures are lower, and decreased fuel consumption, all for less than half the cost of a chip or a tune. Whilst it will not give you as much extra grunt it will be much kinder to your engine, auto and wallet, and you will be surprised what extra grunt you do get from the standard engine tune once the TC is locked up.

Designed, tested and built especially for Gen 4 Pajero's by forum member "m-&-m".

OJ.
        Thank you, very interesting!
        Mrs: MY16 Pajero NX GLS DiD Auto (white), Boos bash plates, MM steel bull bar, rock sliders, catch can, D697 A/T, Redarc towpro, Airbag Man Heavy duty bags.

Comment

• Paulybabe
          • Mar 2016
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
          I have a 2014 NW with 52,000klms. Had catch can and egr delete from new.. I have found myself towing a lot more than expected. I got a quote during the week for a 3 inch exhaust and the ecu re-mapped for towing mode. They will also have the ecu delete the egr and then I can remove the spv plug in unit. $2600. Factory tune will be stored and available in case anything goes wrong. Tech said that the 3.2 pajero motor responds really well to a remap as it is a de-tuned motor that can take a 20% increase in power and torque with absolutely no problems. He said that many of his customers are retirees who tow vans and would like a bit more towing capability from their motors. He said customers report between 3-12% better fuel economy when towing or at highway speeds. I,ve done a fair bit of research over the last 12 months and after reading reports on here and other forums I reckon I,ll be booking mine in before Xmas .

I like the DP Chip warranty they give and it looks DIY but I can see what your after is more purpose built and tested.

Comment

• Keithyv
            Valued Member
            • May 2018
            • Perth

My opinion only.
            The $1500 on a chip is probably paying for their fancy marketing.
            What is that chip actually doing?
            Read all the brochures and you'll end up scratching your head.

There's probably $20 worth of not much in there just designed to dump more fuel into the car.
            Do it properly, get the car 'tuned' by a place that actually does things properly.
            As others have said, probably better spending the $ on a lock-up kit.

Apple products don't typically interface to the Bluetooth OBD dongles, usually Android only in my experience.
            A dongle and Torque software (and some research on this forum) will have you reading the transmission temps.
            2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
            MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Paulybabe
              • Mar 2016
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
              My opinion only.
              The $1500 on a chip is probably paying for their fancy marketing.
              What is that chip actually doing?
              Read all the brochures and you'll end up scratching your head.

There's probably $20 worth of not much in there just designed to dump more fuel into the car.
              Do it properly, get the car 'tuned' by a place that actually does things properly.
              As others have said, probably better spending the $ on a lock-up kit.

Apple products don't typically interface to the Bluetooth OBD dongles, usually Android only in my experience.
              A dongle and Torque software (and some research on this forum) will have you reading the transmission temps.
              That’s the sticking point for me, $1500 is a bit over the top in my book. Think someone is making an easy $1000 here.

Comment

• lukeric
                • Mar 2012
                • NSW

OJ.
                Has the auto mate been released yet?
                The mm site TBA.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by lukeric View Post
                  Has the auto mate been released yet?
                  The mm site TBA.
                  I believe it is very close, last I spoke to Marshall was that both the Gen 4 Pajero and the Challenger/Triton Auto Mate are almost ready for production. I am catching up with Marshall tomorrow to do extended tow testing and tuning on the Challenger/Triton Auto-Mate. Both products are taking a fair bit of fine tuning and testing but the results will be worth the wait.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

I believe it is very close, last I spoke to Marshall was that both the Gen 4 Pajero and the Challenger/Triton Auto Mate are almost ready for production. I am catching up with Marshall tomorrow to do extended tow testing and tuning on the Challenger/Triton Auto-Mate. Both products are taking a fair bit of fine tuning and testing but the results will be worth the wait.

OJ.

Good news. Was hoping to have the upgrade fitted for xmas.
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Uncle Fester
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Boambee East NSW

Originally posted by Paulybabe View Post
                      I like the DP Chip warranty they give and it looks DIY but I can see what your after is more purpose built and tested.
                      Their warranty is crap. I had one fitted by a DP Chip preferred stockiest and got nothing but CEL. So after 3 days they replaced it with another DP unit and got the same CEL. So 4 days after initial install they removed the the DP Chip and said the refund would be put into my account. Refund was almost $700 less than what I had paid, they deducted 2x install costs and 2x removal costs. I spoke to DP Chip about it and they said it was between me and the mechanic and had nothing to do with them. The box and brochure said 100% refund if not happy. I am still not happy. Spoke to DP Chip over their FB page asking on what step I should take next and the blocked me from their page. I wasn't bagging their unit at all just asking if they where able to help me with some advice on how to handle the mechanic. On another note I ended up fitting a Idrive unit from 4WD supa centre and could not be happier, got rid of all the turbo lag.
                      NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• Stinky
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Gladstone, qld

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                        Their warranty is crap. I had one fitted by a DP Chip preferred stockiest and got nothing but CEL. So after 3 days they replaced it with another DP unit and got the same CEL. So 4 days after initial install they removed the the DP Chip and said the refund would be put into my account. Refund was almost $700 less than what I had paid, they deducted 2x install costs and 2x removal costs. I spoke to DP Chip about it and they said it was between me and the mechanic and had nothing to do with them. The box and brochure said 100% refund if not happy. I am still not happy. Spoke to DP Chip over their FB page asking on what step I should take next and the blocked me from their page. I wasn't bagging their unit at all just asking if they where able to help me with some advice on how to handle the mechanic. On another note I ended up fitting a Idrive unit from 4WD supa centre and could not be happier, got rid of all the turbo lag.
                        Pedal lag not turbo lag.
                        The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
                        My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X