• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Fester
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Boambee East NSW

4WD won't disengage until I stop.

As the title says 4WD won't disengage until I stop or slow the right down and sometimes turn at slow speeds. It engages whilst moving just fine. It has only started happening in the last week. I have had the T/F case oil and diff oils changed today and it is still behaving the same. Could it be the other Vac Soliniod in the engine bay. I changed one of them 6 months ago because of the dredded flashing light problem and it has been fine up until last week with these new symptoms. What are your thoughts guys/gals?
    NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

An alternative might be that you have low vacuum in the system through a leak somewhere?
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Uncle Fester
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Boambee East NSW

I can't here any leak. If I am stopped and Engage/Disengage 4WD it goes staight in and out and clicks like it should, I can here the rod going in and out.
      NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• GHendo
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Northern NSW

I had this problem when mine was under warranty. The MM guys fiddled with it and said they had done nothing, but in "doing nothing" they managed to fix it. It took them several attempts and included clearing the computer error codes but they were never able to say (or wouldn't) what was actually wrong.

Maybe it is a bad connection on one of the sensors etc. or something like that.

Cheers

Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• scorpion 42
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2011
          • London. uk

post thread

Have you physically been under the truck, while a trusted freind does the engage / dis engaging of the 4w/d H, to enable yourself to see and hear any noises while this is happening, notice should be taken of the two soliniods and their rubberpipe connections also inspect these rubber hoses for any wear/distortion or splitting of all these hoses connected with the selonoid system, hope this is of help to you.

Comment

• Uncle Fester
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Boambee East NSW

All the hoses SEEM ok. It makes a noise and if stationary it goes in and out no worries.

Comment

• wrexy
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2011
              • Bakers Hill, WA

Mines the same, wont disengage unless front wheels pointing straight ahead & in neutral.
              MY05 Exceed Di-D Auto, TuneIt chip, Turbo Timer, Aux.Trans cooler, Low Water Alarm, 20" Light bar, Bilsteins, H/D rear springs, B/Stone D697 L/T tyres, TPMS, MCC Alloy Bar,+90Narva H/L globes, Roof Console w/-GME 3340 uhf.Magellen GPS & Hema Hn6,Ark battery box w/-135a/h GEL, 60Lt FridgeMate,100W Solar, Ctec Dc-DC charger, Rola Aero Bars, UpTop Awning, Wheelie Bin, WetSeat covers, Crash cam.
              Towing. '00 Gazal Infinity ATV 18' Caravan.
              http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-metric/93405.png

Comment

• ken47
                • Mar 2012
                • Yarrawonga Northern Victoria

it's not transfer wind up is it ,are all the tyres worn the same
                05 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Mods yet to come
                Other ride 07 BF Ghia
                http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/yarrawonga/photos/
                http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa10/pathy06/#

Comment

• pauld
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • Melbourne

I was going to suggest that but with open front diff and open centre diff this shouldn't happen I thought....

I know the trick with mine is change of load, if I change and maintain the current movement it takes a long time to change or won't change, if I change & then back off or accelerate it changes straight away.
                  2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• Uncle Fester
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • Boambee East NSW

Originally posted by pauld View Post
                    I know the trick with mine is change of load, if I change and maintain the current movement it takes a long time to change or won't change, if I change & then back off or accelerate it changes straight away.
                    That is what mine used to be like up to a week ago.
                    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 30-08-12, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• GHendo
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Northern NSW

Originally posted by pauld View Post
                      That is normal I think - mine has always been like that - when it was working properly.

Geoff
                      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Uncle Fester
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2007
                        • Boambee East NSW

I had a 4 wheel wheel alighnment done about 3 weeks ago. So I might try a reset of the ECU by the battery disconnect method and see if that helps as I remember someone saying once before about issues with the 4X4 modes if wheels weren't straight after a reset so maybe the wheel alighnment has triggered something.

Comment

• AJC
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • ACT

Mine has being doing this for a while. I noticed last oil change that there was a leak at the front diff and wondered whether oil / gunk on a solinoid was a problem..haven't had a chance to investigate (although its getting a pre trip service today and i mentioned it to them so will see).

When i enquired here a while ago, some suggested uneven tyre wear ...i have 2 x new front and 2 x 50% worn rear so someone suggested diameter difference could be part of it...although with open centre and end diffs i'd hardly think so?
                          Last edited by AJC; 04-09-12, 04:38 PM. Reason: typos
                          Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• Uncle Fester
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2007
                            • Boambee East NSW

I think you may be right on the tyre Dia. I had 2 new tyres put on the front about the time it all started happening and I run my rears at 30 PSI as it is a more comfy ride for the kids. The 2 rears are 50% worn so I pumped them up to the same pressure as the front and the problem has gone away ATM. I only changed 2 tyres as they got picked at rego due to cracks in the side walls, they still had plenty of tread. All is good now so maybe it is a tyre Dia issue causing the problem?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X