• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sundowner
    • Aug 2016
    • Sydney Australia

Tyre pressure monitor system (TPMS)

I was browsing through EBay the other day and came across the tyre pressure monitoring system unit. It consists of solar TPMS monitor and 4 sensors which screw onto the tyre valve which connect to the monitor via WiFi. It gives out the tyre pressure reading andd the tyre temperature. The system pairs automatically it sends out an alarm when tyre pressure is low or tyre is overheating. I think it is a great little device. On Ebay search for TPMS .... Mine cost me about 50 bucks. I am going to get another one for my caravan.

Happy motoring

Baz
  • benckj
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2017
    • Alexandra , New Zealand

Good idea. Many of us have been running a TPMS for years.
    Recent thread about these and which ones are best.

Jim

Comment

• Turorit
      • Oct 2016
      • Adelaide

I've been running an ebay $35 'solar' TPMS since March. All was going well up until a couple of weeks ago when the left front tyre sensor stopped sending. I suspect its a dead battery in the sensor but it doesn't have nice way to pull it apart. Ebay seller did not respond to my message, as expected.

2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
      --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Turorit View Post
        I've been running an ebay $35 'solar' TPMS since March. All was going well up until a couple of weeks ago when the left front tyre sensor stopped sending. I suspect its a dead battery in the sensor but it doesn't have nice way to pull it apart. Ebay seller did not respond to my message, as expected.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TPMS-Sol...72.m2749.l2649

Check out this you tube clip. Shows how to replace the battery..

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Turorit
          • Oct 2016
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
          Check out this you tube clip. Shows how to replace the battery..
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5iTvA4vts
          Cheers, I've seen that video before but my tyre sensors are a slightly different shape/size, the plastic seam looks like it is glued/welded. I'll have another play around when I get time
          2013 NW GLX. 285,000km | ARB Deluxe Bar, Boo's bashplates, 4x4 Tough Winch, underbonnet dual battery & db140i isolator, D697 265/70r17, Rhino tracks & vortex bars, DIY rear drawers, Waeco CF40, 60L water bladder, 2.5m awning, Vlad TC mod, Provent 200, TJM Airtec, Uniden UH8060.
          --SOLD--1995 NJ GLS 3.5L Manual. 348,000km 2" Toughdog/EFS suspension, 265/75r16 Toyo Open Country A/T II

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

The eBay listing says it includes a battery replacement tool which looks like a spanner of some sort. Did you get that with the kit ?
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Turorit
              • Oct 2016
              • Adelaide

Update: I found the spanner that came in the box & swapped the front L & R sensor batteries around, the TPMS still read 00 on FL. Thought that was a little strange, so turned the TPMS on & off. All sensors were then reading 00, so I took it for a drive, unscrewed/rescrewed each sensor, still read 00.

A trip to Jaycar, 4x new 1632 cells & I have 4 working sensors again. It seems that for several weeks at least, the TPMS has just been displaying the last received values from the sensors before their batteries went flat. The included cells lasted ~6 months, no idea how old they actually were, I'm interested to see how long Jaycar's 'eclipse' batteries last.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Turorit View Post
                It seems that for several weeks at least, the TPMS has just been displaying the last received values from the sensors before their batteries went flat.
                Seriously? So what would've happened had one of your tyres actually gone flat while the sensor battery was flat?

Arguably, you could have noticed that the tyre pressure hadn't changed for weeks, but you didn't - that's OK, you bought a system to warn you of tyre pressure problems, why should you need to watch them that closely? In the US all new vehicles are required to have a TPMS as a safety system - what's the point of a safety system that doesn't "fail safe"?

Sorry, but your TPMS is not fit for purpose. Don't replace the batteries again - replace the system with a real one.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pwoffey
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Adelaide

Gotta agree with nj swb. That's pretty bizarre behaviour for a safety system. My TPMS (Safety Dave) gives an annoying audible beep and shows blank tyre pressure and temperature readings on a tyre when its sensor battery runs out. Admittedly it did set me back a bit more than $35.....
                  BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
                    Gotta agree with nj swb. That's pretty bizarre behaviour for a safety system. My TPMS (Safety Dave) gives an annoying audible beep and shows blank tyre pressure and temperature readings on a tyre when its sensor battery runs out. Admittedly it did set me back a bit more than $35.....

Same here...no pressure means the annoying beep!
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Turorit
                      • Oct 2016
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                      Seriously? So what would've happened had one of your tyres actually gone flat while the sensor battery was flat?

Arguably, you could have noticed that the tyre pressure hadn't changed for weeks, but you didn't - that's OK, you bought a system to warn you of tyre pressure problems, why should you need to watch them that closely? In the US all new vehicles are required to have a TPMS as a safety system - what's the point of a safety system that doesn't "fail safe"?

Sorry, but your TPMS is not fit for purpose. Don't replace the batteries again - replace the system with a real one.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice!
                      Its certainly a bizarre behaviour. I'm not sure how good your memory is, but I certainly cant remember the exact order of pressures between day to day drives, ignoring change in hot/cold pressures.

The TPMS manual does state it will alarm when the sensor battery is going flat & show a symbol on the screen. Obviously this didn't happen. I wonder if it'll be any different with the new batteries, time will tell.

On my recent trip to the flinders, innamincka and birdsville, I aired up & down enough to know that the sensors were all working ok. TPMS is the least of my worries as a daily drive, I'm never too far from home. I'm not planning any big trips for a while, I might save & invest in a better TPMS before the next trip

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X