Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Product reviews and New releases

Product reviews and New releases Review of commercial products and latest accessories

Old 1 Week Ago

Default New GME XRS radio - video review

Hi Guys,

I was in touch with GME a little while ago and asked them if I could borrow one of their new GME XRS radios to chuck up a review on my youtube channel.

To my surprise, they agreed and shot me out one of their portable versions, the 330cp.

This is the same as the 330c variant but in a portable pack for moving between vehicles. The ideal unit for a test as it didnt require any permanent moutings to be made

The cp comes in a portable carry case which is nicely padded to keep your new radio in one piece.

Unlike a tent, it packs back in when you're ready to put it away.

Everything in it's place.

Included with the radio and mic, is a 12 ciggie plug for power, a windscreen suction mount, bracket and a small magnetic 2db antenna.

I've had some hands on time with it over the past month and have been pretty impressed with it thus far.

It's relatively still new to market and has a few 'quirks' here and there which should be fixed through firmware updates. Mostly the issues I ran into were related to the applications rather than the radio itself.

So a fix there should be easy enough.

I've never been a fan of CBs for anything other than a tool due to the bozzos that regularly fill the airwaves around town. (such is the shame.)

For fun on the air, I am an amateur radio operator and enjoy that as a hobby.

So this for me, this is a tool and as such it has to perform well enough to justify it's place in the vehicle. I've got a number of handhelds and other radios that can pull CB duty when needed but this one got me interested because of some nifty new features.

First, it has the best screen on a speaker/mic I've ever seen.

It's an OLED Screen and looks the ducks . The little 2w speaker also does a pretty nice job.

This things is tiny and this Super Compact variant if needed, can be fit just about anywhere.

To keep things small the 330 doesn't have an onboard speaker in the body and uses the fme connector on the back rather than a so239 like the bigger units.

The bit I really like though is the applications and location services that come with the XRS models.

Connect it to your mobile device via bluetooth and in addition to being able to program and control the radio you can also use the location services to share your location with others with an xrs radio.

Of course you can also see the locations of others sharing their details from their xrs radio.

I won't go too far into it as the video covers most of it and I'll be puting up some more in the near future, but this is what you will see on your device when it's all up and running

I Just wish I had more time with the radio to really put it through its paces on a weekend away with a few more rigs running the same radio.

Of course if you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer .

for now though, here's the video

https://youtu.be/TyBIs_BUsHM

No affiliation with GME, just asked the right question at the right time it seems.

cheers Brett
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loc.jpg (57.3 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (74.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg body.jpg (107.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg box.jpg (78.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg open.jpg (146.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg port.jpg (110.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg stat.jpg (40.9 KB, 120 views)
Old 1 Week Ago

Nice one!
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

When you say wish you had more time... I take it that they wanted it back ??

My Shorty Build up ---> http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=19201
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSF View Post
When you say wish you had more time... I take it that they wanted it back ??

Yeah, that they do.

Can't complain though, was bloody good of them to send me one to play with.

I didn't expect it to happen but rolled the dice anyway.
Old 1 Week Ago

I have been using that same unit for about 12 months and love it, super compact and works very well.
Old 1 Week Ago

Fully Jasper,

I was a bit surprised how small it was for the body..
As this was my 3rd radio in the car, I'm running out of places to put them, so something so small makes it much easier to find somewhere for it.

If I was to mount this one permanent though, that mic cord would be too short for where I would put it.
Extensions can be made easy enough though.

Have you used the location services with another xrs radio yet ?
Old 1 Week Ago

I ended up mounting the unit behind the plastic shroud under the steering column and putting in a RJ45 socket where the 12v socket is behind the flap on the centre console. I then mounted the handset clip under the drivers L/H vent.
I had a bit of a play with the location app but didn't find too much of a use for it, maybe once more people get these units it will be better.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 5 Days Ago

out of curiosity, there did you get the rj45 socket from. Jaycar ?

I need to tidy up my installs a little and wouldn't mind doing something similar.

It is a shame you need someone else to have one to get the most out of them.

The app is good and all but unless you have someone else with one, it's just a fancy cb.
Old 3 Days Ago

Yep Jaycar mate.