• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radios
    • Jul 2007
    • Qld

Air Bag Replacement

I have had the drivers side Takaka air bag replaced a short while ago. Does anybody know if Mitisbuishi use the same brand as original or a different brand? The reason I ask is that on a talk back show last week a chap rang in and said he had one replaced in his Lancer. When he picked it up the dealer had left a note on the drivers seat saying that the air bag had been replaced with a Takaka brand and would be subject to a recall in 6 years time.
    2014 MY15 Warm White NX Exceed 3.2 DID Auto, Genuine Towbar, CB

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
  • starjunk
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2011
    • Sydney

Originally posted by Radios View Post
    I have had the drivers side Takaka air bag replaced a short while ago. Does anybody know if Mitisbuishi use the same brand as original or a different brand? The reason I ask is that on a talk back show last week a chap rang in and said he had one replaced in his Lancer. When he picked it up the dealer had left a note on the drivers seat saying that the air bag had been replaced with a Takaka brand and would be subject to a recall in 6 years time.
    This is a matter of some debate. In The Lancer, they are indeed replacing like for like, and repeating the recall in 6 years. Supposedly, in Pajeros they are replacing with Daicel for passenger and Autoliv for driver side. BUT.....
    I had my recall for passenger side done last week, and since then have pulled out the glovebox, only to find a Takata airbag inflator replacing the original. I have called MMA but their phones were busy and their automated system told me to leave a callback message which I did, but so far no callback. Will try again tomorrow.
    I am ropable about this, and either the dealer has not replaced the inflator at all and just blackened my tyres during the 90 minutes I was there, or MMA are lying..... Neither is a favourable outcome in my mind, and I defend Mitsubishi to the nth degree, as I love the company, the vehicles and the brand... Heck I worked for MMAL for 6 years, but I am not a happy Chappy.
    '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
    '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
    '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
    '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• Scouter1
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2013
      • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
      I had my recall for passenger side done last week, and since then have pulled out the glovebox, only to find a Takata airbag inflator replacing the original. I have called MMA but their phones were busy and their automated system told me to leave a callback message which I did, but so far no callback. Will try again tomorrow.
      I had both airbags done recently & also noticed Takata labelling on the replacement https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...55&postcount=6. When I followed up with Mitsubishi (3 days of leaving phone messages), received this reponse:

Mitsubishi Motors Australia Ltd (MMAL) acknowledges receipt of your recent correspondence regarding your Mitsubishi Pajero.

MMAL then carry out recalls in line with the FCAI (Federal chamber of Automotive Industries) Code of Practice for the conduct of an automotive safety recall.

Please be advised, the airbag recall is to replace the inflator section of the complete airbag module.
      So the complete module is still branded Takata, but the inflator section is supplied from a different vendor.

Cheers,
      Stephen
      2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• starjunk
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2011
        • Sydney

Originally posted by Scouter1 View Post
        I had both airbags done recently & also noticed Takata labelling on the replacement https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...55&postcount=6. When I followed up with Mitsubishi (3 days of leaving phone messages), received this reponse:

Mitsubishi Motors Australia Ltd (MMAL) acknowledges receipt of your recent correspondence regarding your Mitsubishi Pajero.

MMAL then carry out recalls in line with the FCAI (Federal chamber of Automotive Industries) Code of Practice for the conduct of an automotive safety recall.

Please be advised, the airbag recall is to replace the inflator section of the complete airbag module.
        So the complete module is still branded Takata, but the inflator section is supplied from a different vendor.

Cheers,
        Stephen
        Thanks Stephen,

That's a relief.... I will have a closer look (still) tonight as my glovebox assembly is still out of the car, while I am installing a couple of things (a HDD cradle and USB charger/Relay/Circuit breaker and switch to allow USB charger to run off second battery with ignition off )
        In fact, close inspection just now, of the photo I took of the replacement airbag assembly shows year of manufacture as being 2007, so i think you are correct in that all the bracketry etc is still Takata but the inflator portion only is replaced. hopefully I'll be able to spot a sticker or something on that component, to put my mind at rest.

Cheers!

Comment

• Phree_ed
          • Apr 2016
          • Moreton Bay area

Had mine replaced mid June. Dealer said parts come in a package with part number but no manufacturer's name. Rang a second dealer who said the same. My dealer said they were trying to get info from Mitsubishi re brand used.

I contacted Mitsubishi via their web page and am still waiting for a reply so. Not what I'd call good customer service - not service at all actually.

In the end after 2 phone calls to Mitsubishi I got on to someone who actually checked the records for my vehicle and was happy to be told it was an Autiliv inflator that replaced the Takata one.

I can't say that all Pajeros are having these fitted but try ringing Mitsubishi and selecting "corporate" and maybe you'll get some joy.

Comment

• starjunk
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2011
            • Sydney

Originally posted by Phree_ed View Post
            Had mine replaced mid June. Dealer said parts come in a package with part number but no manufacturer's name. Rang a second dealer who said the same. My dealer said they were trying to get info from Mitsubishi re brand used.

I contacted Mitsubishi via their web page and am still waiting for a reply so. Not what I'd call good customer service - not service at all actually.

In the end after 2 phone calls to Mitsubishi I got on to someone who actually checked the records for my vehicle and was happy to be told it was an Autiliv inflator that replaced the Takata one.

I can't say that all Pajeros are having these fitted but try ringing Mitsubishi and selecting "corporate" and maybe you'll get some joy.
            The service manager at my local dealership said the same: they don't know what brand, it comes with only a Mitsubishi part number on it.

According to the MM website, driver side should be Autoliv, and passenger side Daicel.
            All we can do really, is believe and trust that what it says on the website is true. Let's hope that they're not doing a VW trick and lying to the public. I really don't think so, considering that they are being upfront about the like for like replacements in lancers.

Comment

• Radios
              • Jul 2007
              • Qld

Mine is a MY15 NX. Do they or should they have replaced passenger side as well. My paper work from Mitsi only said they were going to replace the driver side. Paperwork from dealer confirmed this
              2014 MY15 Warm White NX Exceed 3.2 DID Auto, Genuine Towbar, CB

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Comment

• sharkcaver
                "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                • May 2009
                • Perth

Originally posted by Radios View Post
                Mine is a MY15 NX. Do they or should they have replaced passenger side as well. My paper work from Mitsi only said they were going to replace the driver side. Paperwork from dealer confirmed this
                Same deal for my MY16 NX. I suspect we will get another letter re the passenger airbag at some stage. Then we can book it in for another service....no doubt....and get the passenger airbag done at the same time!
                MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• starjunk
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                  Same deal for my MY16 NX. I suspect we will get another letter re the passenger airbag at some stage. Then we can book it in for another service....no doubt....and get the passenger airbag done at the same time!
                  Yes, at this stage there has been no recall on NX for the passenger side. Is it possible that in 2016 MM were already aware of the airbag issues and had already sourced an alternative inflator module for the NX Passenger side? Just a thought.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	980724

Comment

• erad
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Cooma NSW

I had my NW passenger side air bag repalced yesterday by the local dealer. I asked about the Takata ones and he said that they were us ing a different make of inflater. I haven't cehcked as yet, so I have to take their word for it. I imagine that you wouldn't be able to buy a Takata inflater now anyway.

Comment

• starjunk
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by erad View Post
                      I had my NW passenger side air bag repalced yesterday by the local dealer. I asked about the Takata ones and he said that they were us ing a different make of inflater. I haven't cehcked as yet, so I have to take their word for it. I imagine that you wouldn't be able to buy a Takata inflater now anyway.

Autoliv for driver side, Daicel for passenger side.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X