good evening all,
    we just went out and rented a 4wd camper trailer
    and we couldnt open the door due to the 4wd hitch
    what does everyone do with this ???????
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Parking on a sharp angle will help get the door more open but the door hits the hitch of most campers or caravans.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Nab
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

Use a low profile hitch and lift the spare wheel with a purpose made mount. Not sure of the details, they are on this site somewhere!
      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

Originally posted by Nab View Post
        Use a low profile hitch and lift the spare wheel with a purpose made mount. Not sure of the details, they are on this site somewhere!
        It's a hired camper so he can't change it.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

If the tyre only just contacts the hitch handle, a couple of tricks that may be worth trying are to park with the trailer & car turned, or park with the rear wheels of the Paj raised on a hump or a couple of blocks of wood.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• pajeroboy
            • Oct 2016
            • queensland

thanks guys it was only rented to see if i liked it or not and what will work best with us for our lap
            has anyone done the low profile hitch

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

The one they are referring to is the Hitchmaster DO35 off road hitch. Check it out on Google and you'll see it has no handle. Others have cut the handle off and welded it back on sideways. There are lots of options and that can be sorted when you buy your camper.

Comment

• pajeroboy
                • Oct 2016
                • queensland

thanks for that i looked at it and it dont seem to be able to work due to the height of a 4wd camper and pajero height

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

Maybe it's the way the tow tongue is set up? My back door clears the DO35 quite easily but it then hits the gas bottles. If I open up that gap by parking on a sharp angle it works ok. I have the spare tyre lift kit which at least gets the rubber out of the way.

The other thing is that an off road trailer or caravan will have a higher A-frame than a standard road version.
                  Last edited by Ian H; 04-09-17, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                    • May 2009
                    • Perth

A tow tongue of appropriate droop and an ozhitch solved my rear door issue without the need for the spare tyre lift plate.
                    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2013
                      • Brisbane

Pajeroboy

What Pajero do you have? Gen 3 have more clearance than Gen 4 and different fixes.

I have no issues clearing the standard hitch on my camper trailer on flat ground. Door does hit the tool box on the a frame though.
                      2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• RoJo Pajero
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Tullamarine

Is it a polyblock treg hitch?
                        My door hits but opens enough to pull the fridge slide out all the way

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X