• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiwi horan
    • Sep 2014
    • Melbourne

ipod cable - caution

careful guys ...... this happened to my iphone the other day, it was connected to factory ipod cable

battery has swollen and bent the motherboard and pushed out the screen
    - Lucky it didn't explode ....
    Attached Files
    Pajero NS 2008 Exceed MY07
  • zoom
    • Apr 2017
    • Sydney

What was the cause ?

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2014
      • Wellington,New Zealand

that is a lithium ion battery failure mode.I dont know what causes it though
      2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
      BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• m_and_m
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2010
        • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

What model iPhone? Looks like a 4s?
        2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
        2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
        Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• zoom
          • Apr 2017
          • Sydney

Why do you think it was the factory ipod cable ???

Comment

• starjunk
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2011
            • Sydney

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
            that is a lithium ion battery failure mode.I dont know what causes it though
            Swollen batteries are generally caused by impurities or contamination inside the battery, from manufacture. You'd have a good case to get it replaced if it were still under warranty, kiwihoran.... But it looks like an iphone3, so a bit old... :-(
            Good excuse for an upgrade.
            '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
            '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
            '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
            '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

That looks like an iPhone 3GS so is between 5 and 8 years old. Honestly mate, I reckon the age of the phone may have contributed to this. Batteries don’t last forever as you know. A few months ago I opened up my 6 year old MacBook Pro laptop which hadn’t missed a beat, and the trackpad had popped out. Figuring out that it was mostly likely a swollen battery, I opened the back of the case and sure enough the battery was 1.5 times it’s normal thickness. But there was a bit of room for it to move. In this case your iPhone has next to no room inside so it popped open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• starjunk
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2011
                • Sydney

Originally posted by marty085 View Post
                That looks like an iPhone 3GS so is between 5 and 8 years old. Honestly mate, I reckon the age of the phone may have contributed to this. Batteries don’t last forever as you know. A few months ago I opened up my 6 year old MacBook Pro laptop which hadn’t missed a beat, and the trackpad had popped out. Figuring out that it was mostly likely a swollen battery, I opened the back of the case and sure enough the battery was 1.5 times it’s normal thickness. But there was a bit of room for it to move. In this case your iPhone has next to no room inside so it popped open.

Agreed, no room to move at all. Apple developed the moulded battery technology, which means the battery is basically moulded to take up all available space, in order to maximise battery size and hence life. That's why iPhones get such good battery life between charges ....

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2017
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
                  That's why iPhones get such good battery life between charges ....

Comment

• starjunk
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2011
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by marty085 View Post

Serious actually. My work iPhone gets almost twice the battery life of my Samsung.:-(
                    I don't like to admit it because I'm generally against companies that take customers by the balls, but I have to hand it to 'em. The batteries have good life.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2017
                      • Sydney

ipod cable - caution

Hahaha. Fair enough. It’s funny because a number of years ago when Android was young, it copped a lot of crap for its very average battery life and these days it’s iPhones that do. I must admit I don’t generally have a problem with battery life on mine even with fairly heavy usage, unless I’ve installed a public beta of iOS on it which I have right now. Not so good currently.

Just remembered this is an automotive forum lol sorry

Comment

• kiwi horan
                        • Sep 2014
                        • Melbourne

iphone 3 ..... yeah it's old, but never had any issues charging at home,
                        first time I plug into the Pajero, and this, - I'm worried its getting overvoltage via the ipod cable, so not willing to risk an ipod too

unfortunately not an easy thing to check.
                        Pajero NS 2008 Exceed MY07

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

The phone has inbuilt regulation for the battery charging - I'm struggling to believe it would be the cable, but I guess stranger things have happened.
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• starjunk
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • Sydney

Get yourself one of these....

and you will know.

Comment

• Setaisma
                              • Jun 2015
                              • West Beach

Just wondering, what model pan? Is it standard mmcs?
                              I have NT and cable is data only, no charge. I'd love to get power to my iPod through standard cable.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X