• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dav080
    • Apr 2014
    • Newcastle, Australia

300,000km +

I'm starting to get up to 300,000ks on the odometer and I'm looking at what preventative maintenance I could do to avoid being left on the side of the road. Does anyone have any suggestions on areas that could be looked at to avoid such problems? I'm thinking things like bearings etc that are common to fail at high ks. I drive a 2008 NS auto lwb. I've had the timing chain replaced as well as the tensioner recall completed. EGR is blanked off as well.
    I know this could be a "how long is a piece of string" question, but any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Davo
    NS 3.2 Diesel 25th Anniversary, ARB Sahara Bar, Lightforce LED215 driving lights, Bilstein shocks, Lovell Springs, ARB Snorkel, Cooper AT3 tyres, Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB, SPVI module and EGR Blanking plate.
  • starjunk
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2011
    • Sydney

Originally posted by Dav080 View Post
    I'm starting to get up to 300,000ks on the odometer and I'm looking at what preventative maintenance I could do to avoid being left on the side of the road. Does anyone have any suggestions on areas that could be looked at to avoid such problems? I'm thinking things like bearings etc that are common to fail at high ks. I drive a 2008 NS auto lwb. I've had the timing chain replaced as well as the tensioner recall completed. EGR is blanked off as well.
    I know this could be a "how long is a piece of string" question, but any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    I did the injectors and injector lines at 270,000 in my NS. Injectors were failing. Starting problems, rough running, lots of smoke etc.
    the piece of string is approaching a length of 300,000kms...
    same length as my piece of string... now at about 285,000. A lot of the long-term wear-out items like bearings are dependent on regular maintenance for longevity, imho. I like to change the oil every 5,000 to 10,000kms at the most. A turbo diesel engine needs clean oil. Have you had the car since new, and have you serviced it regularly, (have you ever/always done additional oil changes?) these would be key factors i reckon. After you answer that question, as far as bearings, it's a costly preventive maintenance.... if it ain't broke.......
    '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
    '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
    '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
    '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• Dav080
      • Apr 2014
      • Newcastle, Australia

Originally posted by starjunk View Post
      I did the injectors and injector lines at 270,000 in my NS. Injectors were failing. Starting problems, rough running, lots of smoke etc.
      same length as my piece of string... now at about 285,000. A lot of the long-term wear-out items like bearings are dependent on regular maintenance for longevity, imho. I like to change the oil every 5,000 to 10,000kms at the most. A turbo diesel engine needs clean oil. Have you had the car since new, and have you serviced it regularly, (have you ever/always done additional oil changes?) these would be key factors i reckon. After you answer that question, as far as bearings, it's a costly preventive maintenance.... if it ain't broke.......
      Thanks. I've owned the car since 2014 when it had 110k on the clock. It's been running very well and from what I see in the service book it was serviced approximately every 15k.
      Davo
      NS 3.2 Diesel 25th Anniversary, ARB Sahara Bar, Lightforce LED215 driving lights, Bilstein shocks, Lovell Springs, ARB Snorkel, Cooper AT3 tyres, Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB, SPVI module and EGR Blanking plate.

Comment

• starjunk
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2011
        • Sydney

Originally posted by Dav080 View Post
        Thanks. I've owned the car since 2014 when it had 110k on the clock. It's been running very well and from what I see in the service book it was serviced approximately every 15k.
        Sounds good. If I was in your shoes, and it was my car, and wanted to spend some money on it to keep it in tip-top shape, I'd go over the suspension and replace anything that was showing excessive movement, such as tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, bushes etc. Most of these are not excessively expensive items, and tighten up the handling back to new
        If the ride is getting bouncy, I'd check the shocks as well. easy to do, just bounce each corner of the car, and if any of the corners do more than simply rebound back to starting position, the shocks are gone or on the way out.
        Sounds like you're on a winner though. It's always satisfying to drive a car that runs well.

Comment

• Dav080
          • Apr 2014
          • Newcastle, Australia

Sounds good. If I was in your shoes, and it was my car, and wanted to spend some money on it to keep it in tip-top shape, I'd go over the suspension and replace anything that was showing excessive movement, such as tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, bushes etc. Most of these are not excessively expensive items, and tighten up the handling back to new
          If the ride is getting bouncy, I'd check the shocks as well. easy to do, just bounce each corner of the car, and if any of the corners do more than simply rebound back to starting position, the shocks are gone or on the way out.
          Sounds like you're on a winner though. It's always satisfying to drive a car that runs well.
          Thanks. Steering is pretty much on point. I do a lot of Highway ks and had the suspension upgraded last year. She's pretty tight. Hopefully I can get another 300k KMs out of her lol before having for fork out for another car. Thanks for your replies.
          Davo

Comment

• starjunk
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2011
            • Sydney

I hope you do. Likewise, I'm hoping to get half a Mille out of my NS before I have to update. Problem is, now there is no manual Pajero anymore :-(

Comment

• Matty_P
              • May 2014
              • Bayside Brisbane QLD

Wholesaled my NS on the weekend....sad to see it go but it was causing me grief at 289 000kms.
              - Injectors needed doing,
              - just replaced DPF 3 months ago with a service it cost me just over $2k.
              - leaking shocks had scoloped the tyres (Bilsteins with 90000kms on them)

Worst of all...MM upgraded the computer during recent airbag recall and burns went from almost never to 150 ish kms between cycles.....PITA

NS is gone thank Fu#k recently purchased a 2015 NX cos i still luv Paj's wifes car no DPF......just got a 2017 Ranger Wildtrack thru work which is a different beast...NX is nicer
              to drive but im sure i will warm to the Wildtrack in time....

Anyone in QLD interested in buying my 07 PAJ plates send me a pm

Comment

• P4J3R0
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2013
                • Brisbane

290000 on my 08 paj now.

Only failures so far.
                Rear wheel bearings 240k.
                Transfer case around 260000. Speedo drive fell apart and went through the transfer case.
                Front wheel bearings 260k.
                Front passenger CV 265k. Found when doing the wheel bearings.

Normal wear and tear stuff, service every 10k with oil and filter. Every 20k it gets fuel and air filters.

This service it will get a sump reseal and the output shaft seals on the transfer case as I hate leaks.

300k service will see full flush of gearbox, transfer case and diffs.
                NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• PaulBKal
                  • Jan 2012
                  • Kalgoorlie, WA

Mine's approaching 250k so interesting to know what's ahead of me. I might just ask the guys to do the wheel bearings and CV joints at the 250k service coming up. Like the idea of the full flush of the oils too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Paul B, Kalgoorlie
                  07 DID Auto, Rear locker, Alum BB, Dualmate dual battery system, UHF, Tracklander rack & Ironman Awning
                  There but for the grace of God go I

Comment

• 06PAJ
                    • May 2017
                    • Brissy

Paid $28,000 5 years ago with 180,000km

Wholesaler offered me $3,000 yesterday with 305,000km
                    2006 NS V6 EXCEED - SOLD
                    2014 NW 3.2L VRX
                    Wetseat Covers, Kings 9" LED driving lights

Comment

• starjunk
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by 06PAJ View Post
                      Paid $28,000 5 years ago with 180,000km

Wholesaler offered me $3,000 yesterday with 305,000km
                      That sux.... Should fetch 7 or 8 k privately I would think....hope you get a reasonable price.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X