• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brownie
    • Nov 2008
    • Brisbane

Amarok V6

The new VW V6 Amarok has been released. Amongst all the good specs, (would love the power from the new V6 diesel) is some pretty poor specs -

Wading depth - 500 mm
    Ground clearance - 192 mm
    8 speed auto only with no transfer case - which means only one reverse gear, not so useful for anyone towing.

Has VW scored an own goal with this setup - its going to struggle off road; and as a tow tug, the lack of two reverse gears is going to limit its appeal.

European thinking poorly applied to Australia! Looks to be an autobahn cruiser, which is a pity, because with just a few tweaks, could have been a viable go anywhere (in comfort) exploration vehicle .
    Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
    Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50
  • werner
    • Jul 2008

I would have considered one to replace my Ranger Wildtrak but it is missing a few things
    No low range in reverse to push a heavy boat up my steep drive way
    5 hole rims
    No rear curtain air bags ?
    No rear diff lock
    It is great looking and that motor moves it along nicely.
    Wading depth a bit low.
    Alternator right low under motor is not good for muddy crossings

Comment

• grhyso
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2012
      • Perth

A few of those things haven't changed since the previous model. However things can be modified to suit your preferences better. Personally I really liked the Amarok when I test drove it but it was more QC, longevity, and aftersales support that I was concerned about.

-the wading depth was always 500mm
      -ground clearance I'm not not sure what it used to be but that is surprisingly low!
      -8 speed auto has proved to be better than most people expected off road though I can't comment on how it would go in reverse.
      -5 hole rim...Well landcruisers are 5 hole?
      -rear diff lock, these can be fitted aftermarket if really necessary, my Paj has never failed to take me where I want due to not having a rear diff lock.
      -alternator position, Have a look at the v8 landcruiser alternator, Worst alternator position on a 4wd I've ever seen yet they sell them in the 1000s to go offroad.

While I'm not defending them, what I am saying is your complaints can be found in other vehicles in the same class.
      2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Lazarus
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2008
        • Melbourne, Western suburbs

The V6 engine will come standard with VW’s 4Motion permanent AWD system, meaning no low range, but there is an off-road mode and rear diff lock standard.
        We head to Germany to test drive the updated Volkswagen Amarok. The highlight is that newly added turbo-diesel V6 engine, which will land in Australia in two trim grades. Will it be worth the big spend?
        NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, auto, BushSkinz bashplates, Pedders TrakRyder foam cell 2' lift, Falken AT3W LT, Rhino Pioneer 6 platform, flip key, Redarc BCDC40 and 135 amps lithium battery, Torque Pro OBD, EVC Throttle controller, ARB Compressor, LED lights (internal and outside), Uniden UHF, ARB Frontier 128L long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2000
          • Tasmania

I dont believe that even a very low creeper gear can ever make up for no low range.

IMO low range has to be 30:1 at a minimum to be of any use. (Gen2 auto had 26.1, & that is generally considered inadequate).

Not sure what the diff ratios are on these trucks, but if we say around 3.7 then your creeper gear has to be around 8:1 , which they arent or i dont think they are. If the diff ratios is higher then the situation deteriorates even more.
          Last edited by Ian Sharpe; 23-11-16, 03:05 PM.
          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
          NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• werner
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
            A few of those things haven't changed since the previous model. However things can be modified to suit your preferences better. Personally I really liked the Amarok when I test drove it but it was more QC, longevity, and aftersales support that I was concerned about.

-the wading depth was always 500mm
            -ground clearance I'm not not sure what it used to be but that is surprisingly low!
            -8 speed auto has proved to be better than most people expected off road though I can't comment on how it would go in reverse.
            -5 hole rim...Well landcruisers are 5 hole?
            -rear diff lock, these can be fitted aftermarket if really necessary, my Paj has never failed to take me where I want due to not having a rear diff lock.
            -alternator position, Have a look at the v8 landcruiser alternator, Worst alternator position on a 4wd I've ever seen yet they sell them in the 1000s to go offroad.

While I'm not defending them, what I am saying is your complaints can be found in other vehicles in the same class.
            All true that is why I got a Ranger and the reason why the NX Pajero was just added to my garage.

Comment

• fester
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Gympie Qld

Depends whether you want it as a rock climber or a dirt road/sand tourer and/or tow rig and where your parking garage is. The power is there and if the diff ratios, gearbox ratios and torque convertor stall are right there is no reason this 8 speed V6 would not be a great tourer and beach vehicle.

Modern electronics mean some of these wading depths can be a bit of a false security.

Not everyone needs a crawler reverse gear unless they have a crappy driveway, I've not seen too many caravan parks or camping areas where you really need a low range reverse to get into a camping spot.

And there is actually a mechanical rear diff lock.

Would certainly tick enough boxes for me to choose over something like the butt ugly Triton, Hilux and Colorado. Might not beat out the Ranger though. It's about time the Jap/Asians learnt how to make a decent turbo diesel power plant.

Comment

• Lazarus
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008

Last year a family friend went with his amarok with me to the wonnangatta valley in high country.
                His amarok went everywhere with ease. I was impressed to say the least.
                NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, auto, BushSkinz bashplates, Pedders TrakRyder foam cell 2' lift, Falken AT3W LT, Rhino Pioneer 6 platform, flip key, Redarc BCDC40 and 135 amps lithium battery, Torque Pro OBD, EVC Throttle controller, ARB Compressor, LED lights (internal and outside), Uniden UHF, ARB Frontier 128L long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Stroker
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Glenorie NSW

Hi

How much are they? Are they over 70k?

Cheers Glenn
                  NP Exceed 2005 3.2 diesel automatic , 100% stock standard except for the headlight globes

Comment

• spiderpig
                    • Jan 2008

I was slightly interested in the new V6 amarok until i saw the concept Mercedes ute in the works

Comment

• Lazarus
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2008

haha same here

will be interesting to see what will merc do

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2013
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Stroker View Post
                        Hi

How much are they? Are they over 70k?

Cheers Glenn
                        Cheapest V6 is just under $60k. It's the most expensive dual cab apart from the cruiser.
                        2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
                          The new VW V6 Amarok has been released. Amongst all the good specs, (would love the power from the new V6 diesel) is some pretty poor specs -

Wading depth - 500 mm
                          Ground clearance - 192 mm
                          8 speed auto only with no transfer case - which means only one reverse gear, not so useful for anyone towing.

Has VW scored an own goal with this setup - its going to struggle off road; and as a tow tug, the lack of two reverse gears is going to limit its appeal.

European thinking poorly applied to Australia! Looks to be an autobahn cruiser, which is a pity, because with just a few tweaks, could have been a viable go anywhere (in comfort) exploration vehicle .
                          I have never used low range for reversing as I haven't done the mod to disengage the front drive and have never reversed up hill in a straight line. I can't think of a factory 4x4 where you would use low range for reversing.

I think the combination of power, auto, refined handling, increased GCM and quietness put it squarely in the cross hairs those planning of touring with a caravan. Lack of rear airbags generally doesn't affect this group either.
                          2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2013
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ian Sharpe View Post
                            I dont believe that even a very low creeper gear can ever make up for no low range.

IMO low range has to be 30:1 at a minimum to be of any use. (Gen2 auto had 26.1, & that is generally considered inadequate).

Not sure what the diff ratios are on these trucks, but if we say around 3.7 then your creeper gear has to be around 8:1 , which they arent or i dont think they are. If the diff ratios is higher then the situation deteriorates even more.
                            So Gen 3 & 4 Pajeros are no good?

Comment

• Brownie
                              • Nov 2008
                              • Brisbane

The following are some of the better specs for the new V6 Amarok - these are from the aussie VW web page - https://amarok-v6.volkswagen-commerc....au/start.html.

Power 165 kW
                              Torque 550 Nm
                              Front AND rear disc brakes
                              Mechanical rear diff lock

The V6 is only available in a dual cab, the engine comes with a dpf and adblue and wheels are available in 18", 19" & 20".

I'm in the market for a good all rounder to replace the ageing Paj, and there is much to like about the new Amarok. Its just a bit frustrating that that it appears to be pitched more as a soft roader, when with a few small changes, especially for a car giant like VW, it could have been a true off road weapon. Of course the after market industry can address most of these short comings, but why start from a low base, when vehicles like a Ranger/BT50 are probably a better starting point.
                              Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
                              Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X