• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nayala
    • Mar 2013
    • western victoria

Souvenir from Seal rock

Hi guys
    I got souvenir from seal rock beach when not confident to drop my tyre pressure under 20 psi. Get bogged and nice stranger guy help me for recovery after about 10 mins digging the sand. Bit I got a souvenir afterward
    image.jpg
    Regards
    Nayala
    Cheers
    Ika

2013 NW 3.2 L GLX R : Boo's bash plate, Roley rear plate, ORS Drawer, GME 3110 plug n play, SPV mod, Redarc BCDC 1220IGN, Pioneer platform, 30" LED light bar on roofrack, ARB bullbar

2004 NP ; Dueller 697 ; ARB bullbar ; Uniden 7760 : RFI CD900 ; eagle eyes headlight ; double din Tablet PC DVD ; 7" spotlight ; (SOLD)
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

That looks like a tie down point (ie when the vehicle is on a truck or ship). I didn't think think was an appropriate recovery point??
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• stevemc181
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
      That looks like a tie down point (ie when the vehicle is on a truck or ship). I didn't think think was an appropriate recovery point??
      Yep, that's all it is, no way in hell I'd use it for recovery purposes. I'd consider this as a lesson learned and lucky nothing went more astray than bending it. Bits can be straightened out, people often can't be. At the very least, learn the proper recovery points and techniques. If you don't have a Towbar that you can fit a recovery hitch to, now is the time to consider getting one.
      The front hooks can be used no problem with an equaliser strap between them, but the rear ones are nowhere near strong enough as you have discovered. Fortunately you are out and nobody was injured.
      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
      3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Glad you got out OK.

Good photo of what happens to a "tie down loop" when used for recovery in error - at least it didn't break & turn into a missile! For future reference, remove the towbar, insert the strap's loop into the hitch/receiver & use the pin to secure it, or use a proprietary recovery hitch that goes into the hitch/receiver (never use the towball for recoveries).

BTW, did you turn off your stability control for the sand? (note low range turns this off automatically). What 4wd setting were you in - did you try the rear diff lock?
        Last edited by spot01; 31-01-15, 08:40 PM. Reason: extra note
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Aloa9061
          • Jun 2013
          • Sydney

I really don't understand the I can't drop my tyre pressures. The paj is one if the best cars I've driven in sand in 4hlc and no asc and low pressures.
          Sat behind a numpty at ngala rocks for an hour who refused to drop his pressures

I average 14psi on fraser and have been as low as 8 on Stockton and ngala.
          Never rolled a tyre off the rim on sand

Comment

• nayala
            • Mar 2013
            • western victoria

It was good experience for me, I put recovery hitch on my NP and the buyer want the recovery hitch as well. I bought the truck 2 weeks before so I havent put anything yet.
            At that time I use 2 loops there with equaliser strap, does it mean any incorrect technique or using the both loops is an unsafe process??
            Cheers
            Ika

2013 NW 3.2 L GLX R : Boo's bash plate, Roley rear plate, ORS Drawer, GME 3110 plug n play, SPV mod, Redarc BCDC 1220IGN, Pioneer platform, 30" LED light bar on roofrack, ARB bullbar

2004 NP ; Dueller 697 ; ARB bullbar ; Uniden 7760 : RFI CD900 ; eagle eyes headlight ; double din Tablet PC DVD ; 7" spotlight ; (SOLD)

Comment

• nayala
              • Mar 2013
              • western victoria

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
              Glad you got out OK.

Good photo of what happens to a "tie down loop" when used for recovery in error - at least it didn't break & turn into a missile! For future reference, remove the towbar, insert the strap's loop into the hitch/receiver & use the pin to secure it, or use a proprietary recovery hitch that goes into the hitch/receiver (never use the towball for recoveries).

BTW, did you turn off your stability control for the sand? (note low range turns this off automatically). What 4wd setting were you in - did you try the rear diff lock?
              I used low range but I assumed the tyre pressure was the problem (my tyre pressure was 22 psi ). It was my first time visit to seal rocks and the sand was softer than anna bay.
              Should I ask the mitsi to check my car?
              Last edited by nayala; 31-01-15, 11:20 PM.
              Cheers
              Ika

Comment

• stevemc181
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2012
                • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by nayala View Post
                It was good experience for me, I put recovery hitch on my NP and the buyer want the recovery hitch as well. I bought the truck 2 weeks before so I havent put anything yet.
                At that time I use 2 loops there with equaliser strap, does it mean any incorrect technique or using the both loops is an unsafe process??

The rear loops are not recovery points, so they shouldn't be used for anything other than tying down the Paj for transportation on a trailer etc. The recommended method is via the Towbar hitch pin. Either with a slide in recovery shackle, or by putting the end of the snatch strap inside the receiver and anchoring it with the pin. The slide in recovery hitch can be bought for around $50 and you would attach the strap to this with an appropriately rated bow shackle.

Do you already have a Towbar fitted?
                2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• stevemc181
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • Thornlie/Perth

One other thing to note when reducing tyre pressures on sand, it pays to double check your pressures after you have been on the beach for a bit after the initial deflation. The tyres will get hot and you'll be surprised by how much the pressures will come up by. So you may initially have deflated to 22psi, but after running for a bit, you may be up around 25 or 26psi. A couple of psi on the soft stuff can make a hell of a difference to getting stuck or not.

We have some soft beaches over here in WA and I regularly run 12 psi, last week I was down to 10 psi in the soft stuff. Just make sure when running really low pressures, that you aren't powering it into sharp turns. This will lessen the chances of de-beading a tyre. The first rule of recovery in sand, is lower the tyre pressure first, even go down to 8 psi, just to get yourself out, and then put a few psi back in when you're recovered.

Comment

• nayala
                    • Mar 2013
                    • western victoria

Thanks for the advice
                    Cheers
                    Ika

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Low pressures, low pressures and low pressures.

You need to get the footprint longer, the softer the sand the lower the pressures.
                      Starting at anything more than 16psi and you are making hard work of it!

cheers, old Jack.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• geopaj
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by nayala View Post
                        I used low range but I assumed the tyre pressure was the problem (my tyre pressure was 22 psi ). It was my first time visit to seal rocks and the sand was softer than anna bay.
                        Should I ask the mitsi to check my car?
                        As others have said, in sand I'd start at about 16psi and go DOWN from there. Even 10psi is ok as long as your only driving slow and don't do any fast turns (I've done the whole Simpson crossing - about 500km ish? - at 10psi with no issues - I was towing and didn't want to be responsible for any track damage).
                        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X