• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alchemy
    • Jun 2011
    • Sydney

Reversing camera setups for gen 2

I'm thinking of installing a reversing camera on my 98 NL for safety reasons & to make city parking easier.

Advice seems to alternate between putting the camera next to the tow bar, in the numberplate light or below the top brake light.

I am unsure which to do because all the photos I have found are from gen 3/4 pajeros and not gen 2. Once I buy the camera I am 'committed' because it'll be a different type for each location.

Does anyone with a gen 2 have a camera? Are you happy with it & where did you mount it?

Similarly, where did you put the screen? There isn't much room on my dash & I am unsure where to place it.

If you have a photo I'd love to see it. I'd like to avoid drilling a hole and regretting it!

Many thanks
  • mr moose
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2011
    • vic, mornington peninsula

I have one. I tested many positions for it and found this one to be the best 4th image down: http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=17103

It gives the widest view, the only blind spot is right on the bumper on the very right hand side. Everywhere else I tried gave me large blind spots. The other advantage to where it is here is that I can use it to back up onto a trailer as I can see the tow ball.
    96' NK 3.5 DOHC LWB, extractors, dual batteries, ARB winch bar and SCA 9500 winch, reverse camera, spotties and lots more to come.
    Look at me

Comment

• alchemy
      • Jun 2011
      • Sydney

Thanks for that - did you consider using a licence plate light mounted camera? Would be close to where you have yours, but maybe wouldn't show the tow bar.

Comment

• mr moose
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2011
        • vic, mornington peninsula

I had this camera before I got the Paj so I don't know how plate mounted camera will work.
        96' NK 3.5 DOHC LWB, extractors, dual batteries, ARB winch bar and SCA 9500 winch, reverse camera, spotties and lots more to come.
        Look at me

Comment

• Yarrum
          • Apr 2008
          • Brisbane

Hi Alchemy,
          I put in a reverse camera/GPS in my NL Escape. I wanted a clear picture of the tow bar for hooking up the camper. I have approx 2 mt view behind the car. The monitor is also a GPS so it serves two purposes. I bought them from Brash Imports a few years ago and have been happy with the results, except the battery in the GPS is dead, but I don't take it out of the car so it really doesn't matter as it is powered through the car.

The camera is this one towards the bottom labelled "Number Plate" and the GPS is only a 4.3" screen so it fits neatly on the dash.

Since my NL is the Escape model it didn't have the central instruments, I bought a set and modded it to take the GPS. I also went for the wired camera, instead of the wireless, to get the best picture for the dollars.
          I don't know why I never pics to show, you may have to cut and paste the link.

I bought the camera after talking the guy from Brashes and then wired it up and looked at the best place to mount it. This position gave best spread for my needs.

Hope that helps.
          Murray
          Last edited by Yarrum; 27-06-11, 07:10 PM.
          1999 NL Escape. EFS springs & shocks, bullbar, Cargo barrier. It's a tourer, not an off road monster.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X