• Show
Clear All
  • Georgie
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2013
    • Secret Harbour WA

The Dark Side

Hi All
    Well after a short absence due to work commitments im back on the forum but I don't know that I will still be welcome. After a lot of thought and deliberation I might be going to the dark side yes that's right I am thinking of going to a 200 series Landcruiser I have been worrying about the weight factors when towing my off road van don't get me wrong the Paj pulls it with no problems but the van weighs in at just over 2490kgs empty and is legal at 3000 kgs so I don't have a lot left to play with
    So I am looking at 3.5 ton tow vehicles and so far the Cruiser is winning the one I am considering is a 2015 model Sahara with 75k on the dial its a one owner vehicle and is in immaculate condition as you would expect of this type of vehicle
    I maybe selling my Paj private and would be asking around $36k its done 70k on the clock
    and its got a lot of add ons as you can see from my avatar
    So guys whats your thoughts on this and the purchase of the Sahara
    Cheers
    Georgie
    2015 Sahara
    Black Mica in colour
    BFG A/T 275x70x18s Black Widow drawers Redark dual battery system GME CB radio Redarc Tow Prow Elite

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Seems like all the chickens are leaving the coup lately
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• jkwpajero
      • Jun 2008
      • Young, NSW

If you need to tow a heavy caravan comfortably and safely then a 200 Series Landcruiser is the go to machine. It will outperform all the dual cab utes on the market and you can cover huge distances easily. Still the king of tow vehicles, if you can afford the fuel bill. They do like a drink of diesel if heavily loaded and pushed hard. I have just gone the other way. From a very well setup auto diesel 80 Series for remote touring to a standard 2014 VR-X with low kilometers. I heading into grey nomad territory in my mature years.

2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• gaz1
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Blue Mountains NSW

Be sure to do all the sums about weights for the 200 cruiser as you configure it for your purposes, including the van's ball weight and any heavy items you want to carry in it or add to it (eg steel bullbar/winch etc) - they actually have a relatively small payload capacity, and many owners who tow heavy vans have had to get a GVM increase on the 200 cruiser in order to stay legal.
        2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• bsperka
          • Jan 2013
          • Carindale

You have around 600kg to play with in a 200 landcruiser before you get to gvm. This is without a full tank of fuel. Add a bullbar and tow bar, a driver and some passengers and you are near /at / over the gvm. Still havent added luggage and food. Or the van's ball weight. Look at a Discovery instead.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hill
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Adelaide

200 series is a lovely beast. There is a window of 2013-2015 models that have DLC injectors and no DPF. Not as carpark friendly as Pajero.

Hill
            200 Series
            AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• starjunk
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2011
              • Sydney

Originally posted by bsperka View Post
              You have around 600kg to play with in a 200 landcruiser before you get to gvm. This is without a full tank of fuel. Add a bullbar and tow bar, a driver and some passengers and you are near /at / over the gvm. Still havent added luggage and food. Or the van's ball weight. Look at a Discovery instead.

A Disco???? No, Georgie doesn't just want to get there, but back as well
              Sorry just baiting.
              '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
              '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
              '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
              '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• gaz1
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Blue Mountains NSW

Originally posted by Hill View Post
                200 series is a lovely beast. There is a window of 2013-2015 models that have DLC injectors and no DPF. Not as carpark friendly as Pajero.

Hill
                Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder - not nearly as lovely as a 100 series (disclaimer: I did own one of those from 2000-2002; nice but boring).
                2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• G Potter
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Colac

Originally posted by bsperka View Post

I have recently been through upgrading to a larger 4x4 due to van weights. I ended up with a 2013 discovery 4. GCM of6720kg 725kg payload the suspension has no need to be upgraded being air bags.
                  We have recently been through WA and Gibb river road towing a 2500kg tare full size off-road dust proof van. Van weights 3000kg when full of water. Only modification to the disco was a snorkel. Was on 19" time with Maxxis tyres did not have a tyre problem on the entire trip. The only downside is the fuel tank size.
                  Average fuel consumption was 18-20 l/100k on our trip, but we travel at 100k/he on the open road.
                  The motor/ gearbox combination with the off road drive system is awesome in these vehicles.
                  Cheers
                  Greg

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

After having used the NW for towing 1/2 of its 40,000klm I cannot fathom how anyone could say towing a van at 2 tonne or over is comfortable or even pleasant. My camper fully loaded may be 1.5 tonnes. I normally use 4th gear in sports mode. Often down to 3rd. Might be good if you lived on the Nullabor. Paying for a GVM to increase the vehicles potential is not something I,d be interested in. I,d rather buy a vehicle that was safer and built to handle a heavy load. The Disco would be a good choice. F250/350 would also be a good tow vehicle. Spending 100k on a 200 series and then more to enhance its towing capacity seems crazy to me. Everything's a compromise I suppose so in the end it comes down to money and really you have to ask the question...Why do I need a 3 tonne van?
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• G Potter
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Colac

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                      After having used the NW for towing 1/2 of its 40,000klm I cannot fathom how anyone could say towing a van at 2 tonne or over is comfortable or even pleasant. My camper fully loaded may be 1.5 tonnes. I normally use 4th gear in sports mode. Often down to 3rd. Might be good if you lived on the Nullabor. Paying for a GVM to increase the vehicles potential is not something I,d be interested in. I,d rather buy a vehicle that was safer and built to handle a heavy load. The Disco would be a good choice. F250/350 would also be a good tow vehicle. Spending 100k on a 200 series and then more to enhance its towing capacity seems crazy to me. Everything's a compromise I suppose so in the end it comes down to money and really you have to ask the question...Why do I need a 3 tonne van?
                      I agree with all that you say there Dicko.
                      In answer to the question why do I need a 3 tonne van all I can say is that it is bloody comfortable and we can bush camp for weeks on end. A well designed van will tow excellently behind the correctly set up vehicle, unfortunately there are a lot of dual cab utes out there overloaded with the big vans. But that is another discussion.
                      Cheers
                      Greg

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by G Potter View Post
                        I agree with all that you say there Dicko.
                        In answer to the question why do I need a 3 tonne van all I can say is that it is bloody comfortable and we can bush camp for weeks on end. A well designed van will tow excellently behind the correctly set up vehicle, unfortunately there are a lot of dual cab utes out there overloaded with the big vans. But that is another discussion.
                        Cheers
                        Greg

I see hundreds during the annual lemming run up in Cairns. I did meet a chap with a bloody big dodge ram and a 3 1/2 tonne van. About $350,000 set up. Nice bloke but he even admitted he had to spend many tens of thousands getting the dodge set up to tow the van. Money was of no concern to him. I have a small soft top camper and it wouldn't matter if you put me in a million dollar set up. Sleeping under the canvas with midgee proof netting will beat chipboard and plastic any day...but...each to their own.
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• 06PAJ
                          • May 2017
                          • Brissy

2017 RAM 2500 has 4500kg towing capacity
                          Similar price to whats shelled out on cruisers
                          Maybe just not all the ARB extras available
                          2006 NS V6 EXCEED - SOLD
                          2014 NW 3.2L VRX
                          Wetseat Covers, Kings 9" LED driving lights

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by 06PAJ View Post
                            2017 RAM 2500 has 4500kg towing capacity
                            Similar price to whats shelled out on cruisers
                            Maybe just not all the ARB extras available

This blokes van was 3.5tonne new. He added shitloads of extras (even carried 2 x 60litre kegs of beer, all set ready to drink!!). Nice rig. The springs on the rear of his truck were 10mm steel but unsure of how many leaves...lots. Massive amount of steel work as he also had a yammie quad, 40hp honda outboard, 14 foot tinny and more...all on the truck. He and wifey with 2 kids were living the dream for the 6 months at least. He did admit that he was also a little overweight. Wish I had taken photos now as the set up was elaborate. I would estimate at least $5000 just in aluminium bar work on the rear of the truck. Rear mounted winch and massive van hitch setup...Front winch and once again thousands of dollars of bar work. Reckon I,d like to be a millionaire for a while....lol.
                            Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• bsperka
                              • Jan 2013
                              • Carindale

I've been looking at the Iveco Daily 4wd. Uglier than a hatful but towing wise and 4wd capable off the showroom floor. $100k price tag though and estimated 15l/100km.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X